The Student Room Group

Is squatting 3 times a week too much

I am going to be doing stronglifts soon and i was thinking that if i do squats every workout my legs would look jacked and i wouldnt be able to move my legs because of the pain. Is it worth doing legs 3 times a week

Posted from TSR Mobile
3x a week with a good protein and calorie intake will be fine recovery wise. It'll take a few workouts to get used to it but you'll be fine thereafter

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
You will also only be going to the gym three times a week, with a rest day between each session if you are following stronglifts 5x5, I tried this the other day though and it's really impractical in my gym so i'm just doing my own novice routine
How is it impractical?
No definitely not a problem! I do a variation of squats every day, back squat, front squat, over head squat, snatch, clean and everything's groovy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
3x a week is best, only time I've ever seen good leg gains
Reply 6
Original post by SEHughes
How is it impractical?

My gym has one squat rack, I have to wait most times for people to finish. It's annoying to do that, as you can't change the order of workouts in stronglifts 5x5. So you spend a lot of time standing idle

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you know what it means to work in?
Reply 8
Original post by toonervoustotalk
I am going to be doing stronglifts soon and i was thinking that if i do squats every workout my legs would look jacked and i wouldnt be able to move my legs because of the pain. Is it worth doing legs 3 times a week

Posted from TSR Mobile

do you get these loud but painless popping crackling grinding sounds from your knees when squatting?
Original post by SEHughes
Do you know what it means to work in?

To be fair not everyone does squats in the rack.
Reply 10
Original post by nojooz
do you get these loud but painless popping crackling grinding sounds from your knees when squatting?

I'm not OP, but yeah, I do when coming back up my right knee makes this kind of cracking sound but there is no pain at all. It happens even if I squat without weight.

Is this a bad thing?
I've lifted in The Gym Group and Pure Gym, neither of which have dedicated benches for barbells, so people bench in the squat racks. Even so, it's rare that they'll both be in use for benching for any length of time (most I reckon has been about 15 minutes), and if people are doing anything else it's easy to work in.
Reply 12
Original post by VannR
I'm not OP, but yeah, I do when coming back up my right knee makes this kind of cracking sound but there is no pain at all. It happens even if I squat without weight.

Is this a bad thing?

Dont knw tbh but it does not hurt but doesnt sound right either. Also my knee joiny i.e. the bit connecting the top half and bottom half feels like it sublaxes but no pain though
Original post by ElChapo
My gym has one squat rack, I have to wait most times for people to finish. It's annoying to do that, as you can't change the order of workouts in stronglifts 5x5. So you spend a lot of time standing idle

Posted from TSR Mobile

I ran starting strength for over a year in a gym with 1 bench, 1 squat rack and no proper area for deadlifts and cleans.

I later ran smolov Jr in that same gym for overhead press and front squat at the same time. (I was in the rack for about 1.5 hours)

Just work in with people, all you need to do is ask, people don't usually say no.

OP 3x a week is preferable.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
ExAMPLE

mon: back squat
wed: Front squat
Friday: back squat

next week
mon: front squat
wed:back squat
fri: front squat

is good ****
Original post by toonervoustotalk

Posted from TSR Mobile

For a newbie it is excellent. As long as you get the food in, it's not too much.

It will likely hurt at first, but you get used to it quickly. Soreness happens (to me at least) when I do something I've not done for a while. So squats after a couple of weeks off give me dreadful DOMS, but doing it again the same week much less so.

Original post by VannR

Is this a bad thing?

This happens to me when I don't eat enough omega 3. Not so much during the squat itself as moving normally for days afterwards. Whether capsules or just oily fish, a week without and my knees sound dreadful, but a few fillets of mackerel later and they're dandy again. Moral of the story: eat omega 3.

This all said, I now realise it was covering up an underlying poor squat form, which is more problematic for me now the weights are heavier. Could well be (probably is) that the reason why yours click even when you're not squatting is because of the damage you do when you do squat.
Original post by Appeal to reason
I ran starting strength for over a year in a gym with 1 bench, 1 squat rack and no proper area for deadlifts and cleans.

I later ran smolov Jr in that same gym for overhead press and front squat at the same time. (I was in the rack for about 1.5 hours)

Just work in with people, all you need to do is ask, people don't usually say no.

OP 3x a week is preferable.

I also forgot to add that you have to bench in the squat rack, making it even more busy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest