The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
byb3
I found out about betdirect from littlewoods where you put a £10 bet on and get a free £10 bet. I thought, hey, free money! How wrong was I. Both of my bets were failures and now I'm £10 worse off. I learnt the hard way people. The only way to pay it off is through hard work.

Adam

Er...did you really expect them to give you anything for free without you outlaying some cash?
Reply 2
Mark_KK
Er...did you really expect them to give you anything for free without you outlaying some cash?

The free £10 bet? If you bet it on something on really short odds then it virtually is. I got a bit cocky though.

Adam
Reply 3
byb3
I found out about betdirect from littlewoods where you put a £10 bet on and get a free £10 bet. I thought, hey, free money! How wrong was I. Both of my bets were failures and now I'm £10 worse off. I learnt the hard way people. The only way to pay it off is through hard work.

Adam

what were the bets on?
Reply 4
TheWolf
what were the bets on?

Well the first one was a bet on this horse in the 4:10 at AYR called Armaturk or something. I'm sure the bugger fell.

The other one was an accumulator with Ajax, PSV, Deportivo and Inter Milan winning their matches. Deportivo drew last night. *sigh*

I should have just picked a simple match.

Adam
byb3

Adam

I make about £100 from betting a week. You have to know your market to make money. Football and horseracing were very poor choices.
Could you bet on one team winning a football match with the first £10 and bet on the other team with your free bet?
Reply 7
Yes, but what if they draw?
byb3
Yes, but what if they draw?

That was my previous point. Betting on football is stupid. There are too many outcomes. Look for sports where the chances of a draw are slim or where there can only be two outcomes, that is where you make money.
Reply 9
Joey_Johns
That was my previous point. Betting on football is stupid. There are too many outcomes. Look for sports where the chances of a draw are slim or where there can only be two outcomes, that is where you make money.

any hot tips mr johns? other than the given?
Reply 10
Joey_Johns

I should have thought more about what I was betting on yes, maybe another time. I'm curious, what sports do you think are clever to bet on?
Reply 11
'
{ingnik']any hot tips mr johns? other than the given?

Rugby League handicaps are always a good one as the possibility of a draw is virtually (but not totally) removed.

Basically a team is given a head start and the odds are usually 5/6 or 10/11, if one side gets backed heavily they can change.

Personally I think that Wigan at - 6 today is good value as I feel that they will pull away in the last twenty minutes. I also think that Hull K.R. away at Doncaster (-10) could be a good bet too although neither is really a "top" betting prospect.

Every now and again there is a really good one and you can make load of cash with little risk. Keep an eye out for team news, for example the bookies got really done when St Helens feilded a weakened team and everyone backed Bradford at -9.
Reply 12
byb3
I should have thought more about what I was betting on yes, maybe another time. I'm curious, what sports do you think are clever to bet on?

Rugby League, American football and Basketball are all usually pretty good.

When I say basketball I used to bet on total points under / over and get 5/6 or 10/11.
byb3

Personally for me I bet on rugby the most due to my knowledge but it depends on the individual. If you have great knowledge of Tennis say, that would be the one to bet on.

King Nik, I had a very hot tip the other day. Brisbane Broncos to beat North Queensland Cowboys in the NRL. NQ had not beaten Brisbane in 15 attempts and Brisbane are on fire at the moment and NQ are not. Most bookies were offering 4/9 which was a steal. Naturally Brisbane won.

I think next week Saint Helens are playing in the Challenge cup semi final, put money on St Helens to win the game, that would be my tip for you.
Reply 14
Joey_Johns
Personally for me I bet on rugby the most due to my knowledge but it depends on the individual. If you have great knowledge of Tennis say, that would be the one to bet on.

King Nik, I had a very hot tip the other day. Brisbane Broncos to beat North Queensland Cowboys in the NRL. NQ had not beaten Brisbane in 15 attempts and Brisbane are on fire at the moment and NQ are not. Most bookies were offering 4/9 which was a steal. Naturally Brisbane won.

I think next week Saint Helens are playing in the Challenge cup semi final, put money on St Helens to win the game, that would be my tip for you.

much obliged.
Reply 15
The odds on St Helens to beat Huddersfield will be short though - 1/6 or 1/7, maybe even shorter.

You would have to steak several hundred pounds to get a decent return.
Mark_KK
The odds on St Helens to beat Huddersfield will be short though - 1/6 or 1/7, maybe even shorter.

You would have to steak several hundred pounds to get a decent return.

That is what I do.
Reply 17
Joey_Johns
That is what I do.
How often do you lose?
Reply 18
Joey_Johns
That is what I do.

I had a friend who used to do that and he used to make a couple of hundred quid a week, all it takes though is one bad result to shaft you!!!
Reply 19
Daveo
How often do you lose?

If you are talking about Rugby League to go superleague.co.uk or totalrl.com and look at the results. You will see that 90% of the time a top side will easily beat a side placed 8-12 when they are at the top sides ground.

Basically you want to be backing (in no particular order) -

Leeds
Bradford
St Helens
(and possibly) Wigan

I advise you to check any team news before you do this though as certain players can make a massive difference.

Latest

Trending

Trending