The Student Room Group

Why are some ethnic groups over represented in the UK populace?

Can someone fill some gaps in my understanding and knowledge please?

1) Why is it that Pakistanis are seemingly over represented in the uk population? How did they get here originally and by what right? Clearly Pakistan is not in the EU so how did all these people get the right to come and live here?

Also, i notice when driving round Manchester that during daytime working hours, there are so many people i would identify as Pakistani or similar who are simply at large on the street just going about their business. Are they all self employed or unemployed that they seem to have the day to themselves or is it just coincidental that they all have the same day off when i happen to notice?

And what about the Chinese? Again, not in the UK . How did the Chinese come to be here and have a right to live and work here?

Both countries so far away and yet there are large pakistani and chinese communities in the UK. As we know, the Chinese are more integrated whereas the Pakistanis live in whole areas of our major towns and cities.
Reply 1
India was a former British colony during the Colonial era. This gave Indian people the right to move within the British empire and most came to the UK. A lot of them were Gurkha's who helped the British during WW2.

I don't know if these Pakistani people are unemployed. Maybe you should ask them yourself?

As for the Chinese, maybe they got sick of being tourists and decided to live in the UK instead?
Original post by D.Wright
India was a former British colony during the Colonial era. This gave Indian people the right to move within the British empire and most came to the UK. A lot of them were Gurkha's who helped the British during WW2.

I don't know if these Pakistani people are unemployed. Maybe you should ask them yourself?

As for the Chinese, maybe they got sick of being tourists and decided to live in the UK instead?

They didn't have the right by default. Otherwise a lot more people from around the world would have come. The government allowed a lot of people from the former colonies because there was a massive job shortage following WW2. Prior to that it was almost unheard of.
Reply 3
So were Pakistan and China former colonies? If so when did the gate open and when did it shut?

Simply being a tourist doesnt confer the right to live in their country. I have toured the USA but they wouldnt let me go live there.
Surely white people are the only ones "over-represented"?
Reply 5
Original post by Limpopo
So were Pakistan and China former colonies? If so when did the gate open and when did it shut?

Simply being a tourist doesnt confer the right to live in their country. I have toured the USA but they wouldnt let me go live there.

Pakistan was part of greater India, not sure what you're getting at with the Chinese as i've hardly seen any Chinese people where I live.
In some places they may be over represented but in others it's under representation and so if you took an average it'd balance out.
Over-represented in relation to what exactly?
Reply 8
Original post by cole-slaw
Surely white people are the only ones "over-represented"?

They are the majority. 89% are white. OP is being stupid.
Original post by Limpopo

1) Why is it that Pakistanis are seemingly over represented in the uk population? How did they get here originally and by what right? Clearly Pakistan is not in the EU so how did all these people get the right to come and live here?

Also, i notice when driving round Manchester that during daytime working hours, there are so many people i would identify as Pakistani or similar who are simply at large on the street just going about their business. Are they all self employed or unemployed that they seem to have the day to themselves or is it just coincidental that they all have the same day off when i happen to notice?

And what about the Chinese? Again, not in the UK . How did the Chinese come to be here and have a right to live and work here?

Both countries so far away and yet there are large pakistani and chinese communities in the UK. As we know, the Chinese are more integrated whereas the Pakistanis live in whole areas of our major towns and cities.

How about you go about your own business instead? They are probably thinking why is this (assuming you're white) guy driving around always staring at us? Doesn't he have a job? :rolleyes:

No ethnic group is 'over represented'. White English people are the majority and they are represented the most.
I'm from Leicester where less than 50% of the population are white British & it's great. :smile:
Reply 11
Lets park the over represented bit for a while. As usual you are all about the bang the racism drum.

The question i am asking is simply, how did pakistanis come to live in this country since pakistan is not an EU country and if by some mechanism a limited number of pakistanis were granted residency, how is it that so many seem to have followed and also been granted residency?

Quick Reply

Latest