Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey all,

After some discussion we've decided to trial an AmA subforum in chat.

We're going to have a trial for a month and the CT will actively manage it and review it daily and weekly to see how it goes. :yy: If it's not working out, we'll remove it.

We had some feedback that a lot of AmA threads are of poor quality - does anyone have any ideas about how we can improve them as a community?

Thanks,

Puddles
Motorbiker
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think a Sticky with some basic guidance on what makes a good AMA is an idea.

Ijnteresting title.
Actually answering things.
Other tips...

(I just moved over 100 threads from the last week in chat into the new forum so the threads are there)
MrDystopia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks for this, hopefully it improves things.
King Leonidas
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Poor quality AMA threads are a reflection of the users themselves, nothing you can do to change that.
Motorbiker
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MrDystopia)
Thanks for this, hopefully it improves things.
No worries!

community asked for it and there's was plenty of need for it with over 100 AMA threads in chat in the last week so we're giving it a try. We'll check out the numbers in a few weeks and see how it's doing. :yep:

(Original post by King Leonidas)
Poor quality AMA threads are a reflection of the users themselves, nothing you can do to change that.
Yea, hopefully the less interesting ones will just die and the more interesting ones will be more visible and so bumped more.

There's a cool new one atm about a girl who can speak 4 languages fluently.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Can I ask a question here, even if it has nothing to do with an improvement of TSR? it has rather something to do with a favor - and the moderators and the administrators of this forum.
Motorbiker
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
Can I ask a question here, even if it has nothing to do with an improvement of TSR? it has rather something to do with a favor - and the moderators and the administrators of this forum.
Depending on the question AAM may be a more suitable place. :yep:
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Motorbiker)
Depending on the question AAM may be a more suitable place. :yep:
I think so too. Where is the link to enter this thread? can you give it, please? thanks in advance!
Illusionary
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
I think so too. Where is the link to enter this thread? can you give it, please? thanks in advance!
It's a forum rather than a thread, but here's a link: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=565
Clip
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You guys really have let the genie out the bottle on this one. Who knew?

You might as well spend a couple of grand and start a forum called "AMA".
Motorbiker
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Clip)
You guys really have let the genie out the bottle on this one. Who knew?

You might as well spend a couple of grand and start a forum called "AMA".

I have no idea what you're talking about...

You're thinking this was a good or bad move?
Clip
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Motorbiker)
I have no idea what you're talking about...

You're thinking this was a good or bad move?
I have no idea, but you've got more AMA than you know what to do with. It's no longer clogging up chat, but it seems to be justifying its own existence and people are just making AMA at a rate of knots.
Motorbiker
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Clip)
I have no idea, but you've got more AMA than you know what to do with. It's no longer clogging up chat, but it seems to be justifying its own existence and people are just making AMA at a rate of knots.
:woo:

I think we could add reddit style rules and give verified status to people that prove things. But that's a lot of time and work and we don't have the people to do it.
Clip
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's more that this is like a forum vs blog type thing again. Fora are for discussion, or asking for info. Blogs/twitter are where you tell everyone how cool you are. AMA is kind of an unwanted pregnancy from both. A few AMAs have some value. Most are bored or attention-seeking and ultimately very lazy. Almost to the point where they can't be bothered to post about themselves (like a blog) but are waiting for other people to set the agenda.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (74)
37.95%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (20)
10.26%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.15%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (48)
24.62%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.82%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
8.21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed