Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How do I memorise the Periodic Table
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    You don't need to even if you ever did I doubt it'd be any passed the first 20 elements. Those you can remember quite easily.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I would recommend you to memorise the elements of the periodic table after the groups. It seems to be the easiest way.

ReputationRep:
    I can't give tips on how to memorise the whole periodic table, but I can tell you that I can spell my name using the symbols
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Nother (but more difficult in my opinion) possibility is to memorise every single atomic number to master the whole periodic table.

ReputationRep:
    Go onto youtube and copy and paste the following

SLOW "The NEW Periodic Table Song (In Order)" (AsapSCIENCE 2013)

Learnt the song by pausing and re-singing it, once you learn parts of it better go onto the faster version. I did this when I was bored in the Easter holidays and managed to learn the first 40 elements

Ps. It still hasn't come in useful other then making me look extremely smart

ReputationRep:
    The Elements Song by Tom Lehrer! It's not that hard to learn, and in my experience, has been helpful when playing along to Pointless.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by chrisdefish)
    The Elements Song by Tom Lehrer! It's not that hard to learn, and in my experience, has been helpful when playing along to Pointless.
    Di d you mean this song by any chance?

That is really nice and an ear worm at the same time! awesome, just awesome! He has sung about the elements of the periodic table in not even a minute. I'm sure if I listen to the song in the next days, I know every single element.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    Di d you mean this song by any chance?

That is really nice and an ear worm at the same time! awesome, just awesome! He has sung about the elements of the periodic table in not even a minute. I'm sure if I listen to the song in the next days, I know every single element.
    Yes! And I very much agree, it's just so catchy. The only thing is, it is quite old, so the new elements aren't there, but still pretty useful!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yes! And I very much agree, it's just so catchy. The only thing is, it is quite old, so the new elements aren't there, but still pretty useful!
    I must confess that this song reminds me of Sheldon Cooper in an episode of the big bang theory in which he sings the periodic table. But this scene was too short to know every element. It was funny nevertheless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    I must confess that this song reminds me of Sheldon Cooper in an episode of the big bang theory in which he sings the periodic table. But this scene was too short to know every element. It was funny nevertheless.
    Ah yes, I'm pretty sure it was the same song he was singing.

edit: but slightly more slurred!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ah yes, I'm pretty sure it was the same song he was singing.

edit: but slightly more slurred!
    I thought so too that it was the same song. It was the identical beat in his voice. It was more slurred, because he was drunken at this moment. As far as I can remember he has to make a speech by which he was very nervous and so he has given hiself liquid courage.

ReputationRep:
    Haha I got it memorized after I listened to it every day on the bus. I recommend the song, but make sure you do at least five elements a day, and youll be there in no time.
    By the way, I just wanted to add that memorizing it might not be as beneficial as you think. Knowing groups can be helpful and all, but a real periodic with all its numbers and info will take much longer to memorize.
    Also, Im sorry for how I spell memorize. My autocorrect is set to American.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by debbie321)
    Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter) recited the whole thing live once, without stopping :fan: Anyway it took me taking the course twice consecutively to only kind of understand it.

But here's what my professor had me do:

Shade the table differently based on what kind of elements. The non metals one shade, metals another, noble gasses or metalloids or whatever. They are in organized groups already, thankfully, just shade them.

Not mine but like this:

Another with key legends:

So that's pretty much how I did it. Also learn the meaning of the abbreviations and make the terms into a song going in order :yep:

Orrr you can learn them overtime by solving those finicky formulas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by debbie321)
    oh yea someone already said the elements song But seriously I wouldn't cheat it, I'd just practice solving formulas and get better at it. That's the best way. Don't try to learn for a test or exam, seriously try to master it. That's the mentality that helped me pass different math levels over the years. :smartass:

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.