The Student Room Group

2017 vet med students

Scroll to see replies

Original post by megan-mci
Hi, everyone, nice to meet people my own age who want to be vets, my dream is to be a wildlife vet! Have done 4 days worth at a small animal practise but after my Nat 5 exams (I'm from Scotland) in the summer holidays I'll get some work experience under my belt. I started out on the 2015 thread but was helpfully directed here. Like
Little Tail Chased said, this course I found was very beneficial,enjoyable and interesting as I speak from experience-I did the course last summer, it doesn't count as a degree towards anything but well worth doing, I highly recommend it! What universities would you most like to go to for vet med? :smile:

Hello! Im also in 4th year doing my nat 5s! Ive done a few days in a vet practice but im hoping to get some work exp in the summer too! What national 5s you doing? :smile: im currently doing the online course and im really enjoying it! :biggrin: I'd love to go to either glasgow or edinburgh because obviously im from Scotland, I'd find it really hard to choose between them! Glasgow is closer as I live just outside of glasgow but I love the look of edinburgh too! Nottingham looks great as well though :biggrin: what unis would you most like to go to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 181
Hi, everyone, nice to meet people my own age who want to be vets, my dream is to be a wildlife vet! Have done 4 days worth at a small animal practise but after my Nat 5 exams (I'm from Scotland) in the summer holidays I'll get some work experience under my belt. I started out on the 2015 thread but was helpfully directed here. Like
Little Tail Chased said, this course I found was very beneficial,enjoyable and interesting as I speak from experience-I did the course last summer, it doesn't count as a degree towards anything but well worth doing, I highly recommend it! What universities would you most like to go to for vet med? :smile:

That's cool, what made you want to work with wildlife?
When do your Nat 5s finish? My GCSEs finish by the end of June, which is great because we get about a month's more holiday than the rest of the school :biggrin:
I'd like to go to either Nottingham, Liverpool, Surrey, Edinburgh or Bristol, but I'm going to go to open days so I can choose my top 4. :smile: What about you?
Original post by Rachelmcl13
Hello! Im also in 4th year doing my nat 5s! Ive done a few days in a vet practice but im hoping to get some work exp in the summer too! What national 5s you doing? :smile: im currently doing the online course and im really enjoying it! :biggrin: I'd love to go to either glasgow or edinburgh because obviously im from Scotland, I'd find it really hard to choose between them! Glasgow is closer as I live just outside of glasgow but I love the look of edinburgh too! Nottingham looks great as well though :biggrin: what unis would you most like to go to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by nox1
That's cool, what made you want to work with wildlife?
When do your Nat 5s finish? My GCSEs finish by the end of June, which is great because we get about a month's more holiday than the rest of the school :biggrin:
I'd like to go to either Nottingham, Liverpool, Surrey, Edinburgh or Bristol, but I'm going to go to open days so I can choose my top 4. :smile: What about you?

I'm glad your enjoying the course, I did too! :smile: As for Nat 5s I'm currently doing art, history, chemistry, biology, maths, English and higher French. I want to crash higher physics next year so I took french this year cause French and physics clash on the timetable. My preferred unis would definitely Edinburgh and Glasgow as they've in Scotland don't actually know much about Nottingham! I want to be a wildlife/conservation vet because I want to travel and it would suck an interesting job! :biggrin: I have prelims (mocks) in 2 weeks and my exams finish at the end of May, I really need to start revising, what about you guys? Are you in your last year of school Nox1?? :biggrin:
Also how much work experience have you guys done, I live in the country side and have grown up with animals so work experience isn't a problem I just need to get it organised. Have you considered a day at an abattoir or something. Is it also good to get experience in a vet lab? What kind of stuff would do there apart from post mortems and blood testing etc. :smile:
I'm glad your enjoying the course, I did too! :smile: As for Nat 5s I'm currently doing art, history, chemistry, biology, maths, English and higher French. I want to crash higher physics next year so I took french this year cause French and physics clash on the timetable. My preferred unis would definitely Edinburgh and Glasgow as they've in Scotland don't actually know much about Nottingham! I want to be a wildlife/conservation vet because I want to travel and it would suck an interesting job! :biggrin: I have prelims (mocks) in 2 weeks and my exams finish at the end of May, I really need to start revising, what about you guys? Are you in your last year of school Nox1?? :biggrin:

Also how much work experience have you guys done, I live in the country side and have grown up with animals so work experience isn't a problem I just need to get it organised. Have you considered a day at an abattoir or something. Is it also good to get experience in a vet lab? What kind of stuff would do there apart from post mortems and blood testing etc. :smile:

A wildlife vet sounds really exciting I havent thought much about that! But for some reason I'd quite like to do large animal even though I've not go any experience with them haha :biggrin: I've done a few days in a vet practice plus a long term placement at a cattery. Im hopefully getting a week at a cattle and sheep farm in easter and it could possibly be long term! So I dont have a lot of w/e done so far but I have planned some! Ive thought about an abattoir too but haven't really found one local to me! How much have you got? :biggrin: and do you know if your school is involved with reach at glasgow or edinburgh uni? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also we had our prelims in november! So glad to get them out the way! Good luck with yours! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks! :smile: I'm quite glad I'm not the only one with not a huge amount of work experience, some people seem to have loads, but I also do a couple of voluntary things so hopefully they will help! And yes my school is involved with reach at Glasgow university, my teacher mentioned it and I put my name down but I'm not entirely certain about what it involves, are you doing it? :biggrin:
Yeah im doing it too! :biggrin: maybe I'll see there haha! Do you mind if I ask what school you're at? PM if you'd prefer! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 188
I want to be a wildlife/conservation vet because I want to travel and it would suck an interesting job! :biggrin: I have prelims (mocks) in 2 weeks and my exams finish at the end of May, I really need to start revising, what about you guys? Are you in your last year of school Nox1?? :biggrin:

I had my mocks a few weeks ago :s-smilie: I did okay, got 2Bs, 3As and 6A*s. Yes, I'm in year 11 in Britain. :biggrin: 2 years of 6th form/college to go though!

I've done a week at an SA/exotics vet, a week at a pet shop and a week at a livery yard. I've booked: a week at an equine vet, a week lambing and two weeks dairy farm. I've contacted both a kennels and a different SA vets, but I'm waiting for a reply. :wink: I also volunteer every other week at a bird sanctuary. I'm definitely going to try and do a day at an abbatoir, but I probably won't do a vet lab because it would be a lot of travelling for just one day since there are none within 2 hours of me. There is a plant lab though, so I may look into that, just out of interest. XD I also live in the countryside, but all the farms near me are arable :frown:
Original post by nox1
I had my mocks a few weeks ago :s-smilie: I did okay, got 2Bs, 3As and 6A*s. Yes, I'm in year 11 in Britain. :biggrin: 2 years of 6th form/college to go though!

I've done a week at an SA/exotics vet, a week at a pet shop and a week at a livery yard. I've booked: a week at an equine vet, a week lambing and two weeks dairy farm. I've contacted both a kennels and a different SA vets, but I'm waiting for a reply. :wink: I also volunteer every other week at a bird sanctuary. I'm definitely going to try and do a day at an abbatoir, but I probably won't do a vet lab because it would be a lot of travelling for just one day since there are none within 2 hours of me. There is a plant lab though, so I may look into that, just out of interest. XD I also live in the countryside, but all the farms near me are arable :frown:

Well done on your results! :smile: they're really good! You've actually got loads planned compared to me haha I need to start phoning up places as I have a few places to look at! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nox1

Those results are really good! Sounds like you'll be busy over the summer then! :biggrin:
Reply 191
Original post by Rachelmcl13
Well done on your results! :smile: they're really good! You've actually got loads planned compared to me haha I need to start phoning up places as I have a few places to look at! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha thanks, good luck with your mocks? Or have you already done them? :smile:
I started organising stuff last Easter, I actually haven't arranged anything new for ages now :L should probably start doing stuff for October etc. :redface: I hope you get some sorted and don't get too many rejections or places that don't take w/e :frown:
Reply 192
Those results are really good! Sounds like you'll be busy over the summer then! :biggrin:

Aw, thanks :smile: good luck with your mocks.
Well the equine vets are in Feb half term, and the lambing is in April, so I only really have the dairy farm and (hopefully!!) kennels and the vets in the summer :biggrin:
Original post by nox1
Haha thanks, good luck with your mocks? Or have you already done them? :smile:
I started organising stuff last Easter, I actually haven't arranged anything new for ages now :L should probably start doing stuff for October etc. :redface: I hope you get some sorted and don't get too many rejections or places that don't take w/e :frown:

I had mine in november and I got 7As which I was quite happy about :ahee: thanks you too! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hehe you're welcome, wee bit nervous about the exams but it should be all alright! :smile:
For all of you who are taking AQA science check out mygcsescience on youtube, he really helped me learn! It covers everything you'll learn!
A plea from a University Admissions tutor :

Today we rejected 41 (yes, FORTY ONE) applications for Vet Nursing who had applied with a BTEC but without the Science A level or GCSE grades clearly stated as essential in the Admissions Requirements.

It doesn't matter how well you do in your BTEC, or what staggering wonderful work experience you might have - if you don't meet the basic academic requirements we will automatically reject you.

41 people have just wasted a choice - simply because they didn't read the instructions.
Hello, I'm new to TSR and I'm so glad I stumbled across this thread...I'm currently in year 11 and I am hoping to apply for veterinary in 2017..scary! I currently have 1 week of work experience in a small animal practice, with 1 week lined up in August at a large animal practice, one and a half weeks at dog daycare, every other Sunday for the past year at a stray cat retiming centre and I have a week planned for February at an alpaca farm! I also intend to spend my Easter holidays lambing and on a dairy farm, I'm just struggling to find the right place!

Im also looking into maybe doing vetcam or vetsim...has anyone ever done these courses or are any of you planning in doing them? It would be nice to meet some fellow vet hopefuls! :smile:
I also just got my mock GCSE results...I got 7A* 2A and 1B :smile:
Original post by VittoriaAnna
Hello, I'm new to TSR and I'm so glad I stumbled across this thread...I'm currently in year 11 and I am hoping to apply for veterinary in 2017..scary! I currently have 1 week of work experience in a small animal practice, with 1 week lined up in August at a large animal practice, one and a half weeks at dog daycare, every other Sunday for the past year at a stray cat retiming centre and I have a week planned for February at an alpaca farm! I also intend to spend my Easter holidays lambing and on a dairy farm, I'm just struggling to find the right place!

Im also looking into maybe doing vetcam or vetsim...has anyone ever done these courses or are any of you planning in doing them? It would be nice to meet some fellow vet hopefuls! :smile:

Looks like you have some good work experience lined up, however, you are lacking on the equine side - would recommend that you do at least a week at a riding school/livery yard as well. :smile: Some more vet experience would be useful too.

I went to vetsim years ago but although it was good fun, I found the same useful info on applying on TSR/uni open days/asking current students. If you can afford it then you'll probably enjoy it, just be aware that unis don't view it as work experience and you can't mention it in your personal statement (because paid experiences don't count in the same way since that would people at an unfair disadvantage if they can't afford it).
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending