anon422
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Idk which to choose, They both have similar specs but the G2 camera and battery are meant to be better.

If you have either of these phones, what do you think of the camera? Are they slow/do they lag at all? Pros and cons?

Thaaaanks
Tomtech
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I can't really help you, but I'm facing a similar choice at the moment. I'm leaning slightly towards the G2 for the reasons you state, but I have no experience with one. I have a friend with a Nexus 5 and it seems good, but I haven't asked him about pictures. I'll be following this thread and hopefully someone who owns one of these can give some advice.
anon422
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tomtech)
I can't really help you, but I'm facing a similar choice at the moment. I'm leaning slightly towards the G2 for the reasons you state, but I have no experience with one. I have a friend with a Nexus 5 and it seems good, but I haven't asked him about pictures. I'll be following this thread and hopefully someone who owns one of these can give some advice.
Yea, I'm leaning towards the G2 as well - I was actually going to get the G3 but I changed my mind last minute, mainly because I added up the total cost (£26.12 a month) and it was too much, but also because it's too big really.

The thing is, I would choose the G2, but when I've googled it, on all the polls voting on G2 vs N5, the N5 has won... Which confuses me since they look relatively similar, and it seems to me like the G2 spec is better? Although I know there's the thing about the nexus being 'pure android' with no skins, and how it'll get android updates straight away (but why?), but I actually prefer the look of the apps on other phones, and I don't care about waiting for updates haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ihavemooedtoday
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
G2 has much better battery life, marginally better camera, and otherwise pretty much the same.

The only downside is slower updates because it's not Google.

I got one a month ago to replace my N4 and love it. The battery just goes on forever.
Prit B
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ihavemooedtoday)
G2 has much better battery life, marginally better camera, and otherwise pretty much the same.

The only downside is slower updates because it's not Google.

I got one a month ago to replace my N4 and love it. The battery just goes on forever.
Ive got Nexus 4, battery sucks tbh
ihavemooedtoday
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Prit B)
Ive got Nexus 4, battery sucks tbh
That's the reason I upgraded.

N5 I heard has similar battery life to N4.

G2 battery life is almost twice as long.
Prit B
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That's the reason I upgraded.

N5 I heard has similar battery life to N4.

G2 battery life is almost twice as long.
Fair enough. Thats one of the major points I will now consider when buying a phone, is the LG G3 good btw?
ihavemooedtoday
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Fair enough. Thats one of the major points I will now consider when buying a phone, is the LG G3 good btw?
It's very good. They basically took the G2 and added removable storage and removable battery, and upgraded the camera slightly.

I just couldn't justify the cost difference.
Tomtech
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Doesn't the G2 only have 16GB of internal memory (at least the UK version does), and it isn't expandable as there's no microSD, but the N5 can have 16 or 32GB? Not sure if that's an issue, but 16GB doesn't seem much to me.
Prit B
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's very good. They basically took the G2 and added removable storage and removable battery, and upgraded the camera slightly.

I just couldn't justify the cost difference.
Removable storage is also pretty important tbh, I dont really like the look of the Galaxy s5
ihavemooedtoday
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Removable storage is also pretty important tbh, I dont really like the look of the Galaxy s5
It is pretty important and I would prefer having it, too.

But it's hard to justify the £200 extra just for that and removable battery.
Prit B
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It is pretty important and I would prefer having it, too.

But it's hard to justify the £200 extra just for that and removable battery.
Agreed. Is youre phone on contract?
ihavemooedtoday
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Agreed. Is youre phone on contract?
No I bought it second hand from eBay. Very good condition for about £200.
Prit B
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Good deal, same with my Nexus 4
anon422
Rep:
?
If you look on lists for best smartphones 2014, lg g3 comes top a few times (and is always in the top 10s etc) - it's got a v good spec, and it aimed to out-do the Samsung galaxy s5 etc, so yea it's meant to be good

Posted from TSR Mobile
anon422
Rep:
?
Do you like the G2 then? Anything you dislike about it? What's the camera like? Is it slow or fast? Any lag?

Posted from TSR Mobile
ihavemooedtoday
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by anon422)
Do you like the G2 then? Anything you dislike about it? What's the camera like? Is it slow or fast? Any lag?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I quite like it. I can't really think of anything I don't like about it. The camera is good and very fast. Taking pictures is instantaneous, and preview doesn't stop while taking a picture. If you click as fast as possible, you can take a little more than 1 picture per second.

The phone in general is also very fast. Definitely faster than N4, but I don't have a N5 to compare with. I haven't noticed any lag.
anon422
Rep:
?
I quite like it. I can't really think of anything I don't like about it. The camera is good and very fast. Taking pictures is instantaneous, and preview doesn't stop while taking a picture. If you click as fast as possible, you can take a little more than 1 picture per second.

The phone in general is also very fast. Definitely faster than N4, but I don't have a N5 to compare with. I haven't noticed any lag.
Okay, tyvm - I think I'm gonna get one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Scratchyjam
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd go for the Nexus 5 personally, although both phones are good.

You've got quicker (and guaranteed) updates for the N5 plus I think LG's Android skin looks ugly. N5 is quicker but as you've mentioned, the G2 has a better camera and impressive battery. Although you can, as mentioned above, root and flash a kernal on the N5 to improve battery life.

Either way both phones are great and are going at nice prices. Just a matter of preference.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (47)
18.01%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (73)
27.97%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (100)
38.31%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (32)
12.26%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (9)
3.45%

Watched Threads