What careers/jobs are there which are/have:

- A lot of promotion opportunities
- Good starting wage
- Respectable
- Hours are decent enough
- Not overly stressful
- High in demand
- Not overly competitive

They don't have to be all of them. I just want some recommendations and how much work goes into getting into that specific sector.

Also, how competitive it is and the types of degrees or grades you need.

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Medicine I'd say... If you can hack it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Audi

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by ZSHNZ

- Good starting wage
- Respectable
- Not overly stressful
- High in demand
- Not overly competitive

They don't have to be all of them. I just want some recommendations and how much work goes into getting into that specific sector.

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Er...
Original post by ZSHNZ

- Good starting wage
- Respectable
- Not overly stressful
- High in demand
- Not overly competitive

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Audi

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doesn't seem like your read the OP.

@OP, obviously no job exists which has all those qualities. If the wage is high there are most likely going to be long hours. If it's high in demand and respectable it's going to be competitive.

You need to prioritise what you want. Do you want a stress-free job that's easy to get into and that has cushy hours, or do you want a highly-respected well-paid job that is very difficult to help? Until you decide which you want, no-one can help you.
There are very few jobs that have more than 3 of those advantages tbh. Just think about the things you enjoy studying, what sort of jobs you could enjoy and research around those.
Reply 7
Original post by ZSHNZ
What?

Your question makes no sense.

Breaking it down you ask "what job is there that's not overly competitive and how competitive is it?". Well, if it satisfies the first bit you already know how competitive it is(n't).

But, clearly, as mentioned above by tengentoppa, a job that has all of those qualities doesn't exist. And even if something which had those qualities, you've completely neglected what the actual job you'd be doing is. That has the biggest factor of all. If you don't like the day-to-day job, then it doesn't matter what qualities it has, it's not going to be "the best job".
Original post by Drewski
Your question makes no sense.

Breaking it down you ask "what job is there that's not overly competitive and how competitive is it?". Well, if it satisfies the first bit you already know how competitive it is(n't).

But, clearly, as mentioned above by tengentoppa, a job that has all of those qualities doesn't exist. And even if something which had those qualities, you've completely neglected what the actual job you'd be doing is. That has the biggest factor of all. If you don't like the day-to-day job, then it doesn't matter what qualities it has, it's not going to be "the best job".

I didn't ask for a job with all those qualities, I just wanted some suggestions of jobs that may be good to look further and have a few of those qualities. Stop nitpicking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ZSHNZ

- Good starting wage
- Respectable
- Not overly stressful
- High in demand
- Not overly competitive

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cyber security.

Plenty of opportunities to move sideways and upwards.
Upper quartile for graduate starting salaries depending on the firm. I'm well on my way to tripling my starting salary in 3 years.
It's a pretty respectable career path, if somewhat unknown.
Depends on the firm, but while occasional long hours are inevitable when the brown stuff hits the fan, the norm tends to be fairly typical office hours.
Ditto on the above RE: stress.
Huge nationwide skills shortage right now.
I got crap A-Levels and went to an ex-poly. I work for the best company in the business as a senior consultant.
Original post by ZSHNZ
I didn't ask for a job with all those qualities, I just wanted some suggestions of jobs that may be good to look further and have a few of those qualities. Stop nitpicking.

It's not nitpicking, it's pointing out the logical failings of asking such an open ended question.

Someone might say medicine, but then what if you can't stand the sight of blood or aren't good around people?
Someone might say engineering, but what if you're not good at or don't enjoy mathematics?
Someone might say computing, but what if you've never done or don't enjoy programming?
Someone might say pilot, but what if you're afraid of heights or have poor hand-eye coordination?
Some jobs have great perks associated with them, but that's because the day-to-day grind is pretty awful/dangerous/unpleasant/etc and no-one wants to do it.

We can't just go by blindly suggesting different jobs, because you'd end up with a list a mile long, 90-odd% of which you'd probably hate the sound of instantly.

And anyway, even if people were to suggest career areas, the perks within those careers are going to vary hugely depending on who employs you. Some companies will be great, others will be crap. Some managers will like you, some won't.
Original post by Mad Vlad
Cyber security.

Upper quartile for graduate starting salaries depending on the firm. I'm well on my way to tripling my starting salary in 3 years.
Depends on the firm, but while occasional long hours are inevitable when the brown stuff hits the fan, the norm tends to be fairly typical office hours.
I got crap A-Levels and went to an ex-poly. I work for the best company in the business as a senior consultant.

Sounds good! Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Mad Vlad
Cyber security.

I was going to say IT more generally, but certainly cyber would more specifically fit the bill better.

Whats the entry route in?
Software - programmer/coder
Do what you enjoy doing that is the most important thing. Taking a view like this might lead you into something that satisfies all those qualities yet you find extremely boring Cyber security mentioned earlier is still office work. Being a lecturer or teacher satisfies most of those qualities but is something you would probably not want to do. Developing is still staring at a computer screen of code all day.

I am a Maths student just finished my first year. A lot of people choose Maths because they want to get a high paying job as that is always in high demand. To be honest though most of them can't deal with the amount of work involved and clearly don't enjoy it. In summary choose what you enjoy.
The best job is the one that you enjoy doing the most.
Original post by iEatMuFFiNS
Software - programmer/coder

No way. Low level code monkey drone is probably the worst job in the UK. You'd be better off working as a dustman.
Original post by cole-slaw
No way. Low level code monkey drone is probably the worst job in the UK. You'd be better off working as a dustman.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Whilst a low level anything probably won't earn very much; I don't get why you'd assume assume low level? It's like saying "don't become a 'xyz' it's ****, you'll be low level and it's the worst job..."

There are plenty of programmers earning anywhere from £30k+ to £100k+

I can only assume you tried to become a programmer and ended up as a dustman instead - it's the only explanation for such an asinine response.
I'm on the dole: sat at home watching the cricket in my shorts.
Whichever you enjoy most.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending