The Student Room Group

Help! Maths degree to a graduate scheme...which masters?

I am heading into my final year of a Mathematics degree. Although I have GCSE's, I completed a foundation year at my university rather than A levels or an access course which officially has no equivalent UCAS points even though I earned 4 A grades. I have a years experience as accounts assistant before I began my degree and a few months admin experience during my degree.

I do not feel I am in a great position to gain a graduate scheme due to little work experience (since I started my degree), no extracurricular activities and lack of official UCAS points, but when I start my final year in September, I will still apply and try my best. If I do not manage to get a position, I will hopefully gain more work experience next summer, and apply for a masters degree for next September.

I am wondering firstly if this sounds like a good plan, and secondly, would I be better to complete a masters in a more mathematical subject to broaden my maths skills, applied maths for example, or would I be in a better position for a graduate scheme by completing a more business/management related masters degree, to prepare me for industry?

Thought I would add that my grades are good so far, I have achieved above 70% in both first and second year and I have every intention to gain a first degree.

Thank you for reading :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Since this post I have been researching, looks like most applicants for grad schemes get screened out at the first stage with no UCAS points! So unfair as I have 4 A grades at level 3 (foundation year)! I am now thinking I may need to do my a levels after my degree!! Please respond, has anyone ever heard of this situation and does anyone have any idea how much it would cost?! Thanks
Reply 2
Original post by MathStu
Since this post I have been researching, looks like most applicants for grad schemes get screened out at the first stage with no UCAS points! So unfair as I have 4 A grades at level 3 (foundation year)! I am now thinking I may need to do my a levels after my degree!! Please respond, has anyone ever heard of this situation and does anyone have any idea how much it would cost?! Thanks

I would advise against taking your A Levels. It would be a waste of time and money - going backwards rather than forwards.

Could you not "convert" your foundation year into UCAS points? and then if you get past application stage to mention it to employers...

Your time would be much better invested in a masters, but if you plan to go into accountancy, it's another waste of time in my book.

Have you opted for finance industry graduate schemes, doing ACCA/CIMA?
They're a lot more slack in the UCAS requirements. The CIMA grad scheme I just finished didn't ask for any... which is great, as I only got 220 points.

Otherwise, you could spend your money on a few accountancy exams, get the ball rolling and show your dedication to employers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest