If the UK had won the American Revolutionary War, how would the world be different?

Watch this thread
kimolozen
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I guess it's impossible to say, but then I'd think the following:

- No immediate rise of Napoleon

- The British would have seized Louisiana (not the modern state but the French territory which was more or less a third of the current USA)

- No war of 1812

- No civil war, as the British would have abolished slavery the same time as they did in the Caribbean

- The USA today would probably be similar to Canada, at least politically.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kimolozen)

- The British would have seized Louisiana (not the modern state but the French territory which was more or less a third of the current USA)

- No war of 1812

- No civil war, as the British would have abolished slavery the same time as they did in the Caribbean

Events would have probably gone the way they did with Australia or Canada, alternatively the USA would have declared independence in the 1800's given that it overtook our own population around that time. North America would probably be unified and Mexico more powerful than today but with our attitude post WW2 we'd have still likely granted them independence if they weren't already.

Given our expansionist and religious attitudes at the time, we'd have been at war with Catholic Mexico and probably more of south America and the Caribbean.
TommeDeSavoie
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 7 years ago

- No war of 1812

The UK abolished slavery in the UK not in the colonies(not immediately at least).

There would definitely have been a second war for independence, I don't know under what circumstances as that would be speculating. But just look at the south of the USA, their economy relied on slavery, if it was abolished by the British they would have rebelled and sought independence.
DaniilKaya
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 7 years ago

- No war of 1812

There would be no second world war
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (31)
32.98%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (43)
45.74%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (19)
20.21%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.06%

Watched Threads