einnap101
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So I'm starting my first year of Law and was wondering how much other Law students printed and whether it's worth me taking a printer.
Inazuma
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I thought I'd print a lot but I barely used it.
That said, it was sooo helpful when I did need it.
I got mine for free from a local FB page, and cheap cartridges too so it was def. worth it for me.

(Law too btw)
Wilsoncw1997
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by einnap101)
So I'm starting my first year of Law and was wondering how much other Law students printed and whether it's worth me taking a printer.
Im doing an essay based course as well, and from what I've read, you would usually exceed your print credit that you are given. Different uni allocated different amount of print credit, some would give you a flat 200 pages regardless of course, some would adjust say math students only get 50 sheets per month and law get 300, etc..

Check your uni's IT department, you should have info as to how much each page cost. But if you are doing heavy printing like me, it's best to bring your printer as it is cheaper and you don't need to line up in the library to print. Finally are you having a roommate, if so beware that your roommate would use your ink and paper, so keep count of that.

Hope this helps
tehforum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I printed out a crap ton for my essays and when exam time was nearing.

I think it's cheaper to just print stuff out at uni.
einnap101
Rep:
?
(Original post by Inazuma)
I thought I'd print a lot but I barely used it.
That said, it was sooo helpful when I did need it.
I got mine for free from a local FB page, and cheap cartridges too so it was def. worth it for me.

(Law too btw)
Oo I see! There's been so many mixed comments, I'm not sure whether to take one or not. I think I will though!

(Original post by Wilsoncw1997)
Im doing an essay based course as well, and from what I've read, you would usually exceed your print credit that you are given. Different uni allocated different amount of print credit, some would give you a flat 200 pages regardless of course, some would adjust say math students only get 50 sheets per month and law get 300, etc..

Check your uni's IT department, you should have info as to how much each page cost. But if you are doing heavy printing like me, it's best to bring your printer as it is cheaper and you don't need to line up in the library to print. Finally are you having a roommate, if so beware that your roommate would use your ink and paper, so keep count of that.

Hope this helps
Ahh okay, I've tried to look on the uni's website (Southampton) but can't seem to find how many credits you get. I won't be having a roommate so that's not an issue.
Thanks though!
einnap101
Rep:
?
(Original post by tehforum)
I printed out a crap ton for my essays and when exam time was nearing.

I think it's cheaper to just print stuff out at uni.

Money isn't really an issue for me (when it comes to a £50 printer and £7 ink) but I'm thinking about convenience and whether I'm going to be printing enough to make that £57 count. But by what I've heard, I'll be printing a lot, especially because I'd rather read through things on paper than from a screen.
arguendo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It really depends on how your modules are taught and assessed. I had a printer in first year but barely used it besides printing out essays to hand in, as my modules set text and casebooks (and I never bothered reading cases in full then). I only had a maximum of 12 formative essays per year, and all my notes were handwritten.

In second year I printed more, as one of my modules didn't set a text or casebook, but emailed us materials (and I preferred to read 100+ pages on paper rather than screen). I printed my revision notes too.

Final year - printed more than ever as I read for my dissertation, and printed my revision notes. All my modules set reading from textbooks though, so no issues there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
einnap101
Rep:
?
(Original post by arguendo)
It really depends on how your modules are taught and assessed. I had a printer in first year but barely used it besides printing out essays to hand in, as my modules set text and casebooks (and I never bothered reading cases in full then). I only had a maximum of 12 formative essays per year, and all my notes were handwritten.

In second year I printed more, as one of my modules didn't set a text or casebook, but emailed us materials (and I preferred to read 100+ pages on paper rather than screen). I printed my revision notes too.

Final year - printed more than ever as I read for my dissertation, and printed my revision notes. All my modules set reading from textbooks though, so no issues there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah yeah I totally get that. I'm the kinda person who likes to have written out notes and typed notes.
Meermiester
Badges: 0
Report 6 years ago
It all depends on what you need to print out whilst at uni

also what course you're on. Most times you can print from the uni printing shop, but for drafts and checking work it can be quite useful.

I recommend www.internet-ink.com if this helps and they have 10% discount code for inks on return worth it and saved me some money at uni.

I only printed mainly drafts so I got the cheaper alternatives.
fursey
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by einnap101)
I have really found having a printer invaluable at university while studying law. Sure, printing at the university is fairly cheap, but I often worked in my hall/at my house so it would have been a pain to keep going into university! I also used to write my answers to the tutorials out on the computer and would print this the night before so that I was prepared .

Posted from TSR Mobile
theresheglows
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by fursey)
I have really found having a printer invaluable at university while studying law. Sure, printing at the university is fairly cheap, but I often worked in my hall/at my house so it would have been a pain to keep going into university! I also used to write my answers to the tutorials out on the computer and would print this the night before so that I was prepared .

Posted from TSR Mobile

^^ this

It really does make life a lot easier, printing on uni printers can be a hassle especially if what you want to print is on your laptop and you can't connect it to the printer and the uni computers don't have USB drives!! It also saves you having to go all the way to a computer room/library, which can save a lot of time in reading week! Also, you can get a student 'Genius' discount card at Ryman which saves you 10 or 15% (I can't remember which ), and they give you a bit of money off your next ink cartridge if you bring in your old one. I got a printer there at the start of my first year for £39, and I've been happy with it so far.
einnap101
Rep:
?
(Original post by theresheglows)
^^ this

It really does make life a lot easier, printing on uni printers can be a hassle especially if what you want to print is on your laptop and you can't connect it to the printer and the uni computers don't have USB drives!! It also saves you having to go all the way to a computer room/library, which can save a lot of time in reading week! Also, you can get a student 'Genius' discount card at Ryman which saves you 10 or 15% (I can't remember which ), and they give you a bit of money off your next ink cartridge if you bring in your old one. I got a printer there at the start of my first year for £39, and I've been happy with it so far.
A printer it is then! I already have a printer, which is okay I guess, wireless and whatever, so just the ink is needed for me! Although it is a little big...but yeah, definitely worth it for the convenience I guess.

Thanks!
annaleee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi einnep,
Basically you a law student and get a different notes and Copy if easily afford a printer you should buy.
canonerror
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
if you think there is ink and the printer is giving an error then this one thing may also help any user by settings their power and resume button when this need arises the user could set their canon printer to the greyscale mode to get the common black color.<a href=
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (77)
29.06%
No (188)
70.94%

Watched Threads