The Student Room Group

Both names on bills but flatmate won't pay

Hello,

I'm just after some advice please....

My flatmate moved out just after me and paid the estimated bills. We now have a revised bill for more money that is owed based on actual readings - we owe about £40 each. We have one week left to pay it.

I have tried contacting the flatmate but they won't answer me at all - Facebook, text or answer the phone. They are simply ignoring all forms of communication.

Both of our names are on the bill as well so if they don't pay it'll affect their credit rating as well as mine.

What should I do?
Reply 1
Original post by Sanctimonious
Hello,

I'm just after some advice please....

My flatmate moved out just after me and paid the estimated bills. We now have a revised bill for more money that is owed based on actual readings - we owe about £40 each. We have one week left to pay it.

I have tried contacting the flatmate but they won't answer me at all - Facebook, text or answer the phone. They are simply ignoring all forms of communication.

Both of our names are on the bill as well so if they don't pay it'll affect their credit rating as well as mine.

What should I do?

Who do you owe the bills to? I think you should phone them and let them know about the situation so they`ll contact him themselves, he cant ignore that
Hope it all works out :smile:
Original post by Mav455
Who do you owe the bills to? I think you should phone them and let them know about the situation so they`ll contact him themselves, he cant ignore that
Hope it all works out :smile:

Its for gas and electric.
Reply 3
Pay up and chalk it down to experience. It's a relatively minor amount and not worth the hassle of pursuing imo.
Original post by Reue
Pay up and chalk it down to experience. It's a relatively minor amount and not worth the hassle of pursuing imo.

While this is probably how it will all end up, it wouldn't hurt to contact the company and explain the situation to them to see if they want to pursue your flatmate.
Reply 5
Original post by sliceofcake
While this is probably how it will all end up, it wouldn't hurt to contact the company and explain the situation to them to see if they want to pursue your flatmate.

It wouldn't hurt, true.
Gas and Electric companies could not give any less of a **** about your personal arrangements. The customer service rep will just refuse to engage.

You're going to have to pay up.

You could file a Small Claims against him for his share based on a verbal and/or implied contact (especially if you have proof of previous payments) but that's a long winded process, with potential risks, and which would likely ruin your relationship.

Take home lessons: "jointly and separately liable" clauses are never in your best interests. Always avoid putting your name on the bill. Better to take one bill each.
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ

You could file a Small Claims against him for his share based on a verbal and/or implied contact (especially if you have proof of previous payments) but that's a long winded process, with potential risks, and which would likely ruin your relationship.
Wouldn't bother me to be honest as I'm not interested in continuing having a relationship with said person. Considering this route now even with the time and cost involved just to make their life as awkward as mine has been now. £35 to get the claim going and more than willing to do it just to put them under some pressure.
Reply 8
Firstly, never put your name on the bills, I learnt that the hard way last year. Let someone else get messed around by other housemates. This year we're going with a company my mates sister knows - easybills. Apparently she knows the guys who set it up, and everyone gets billed by them for their share individually and no one gets left with all the problems because they sort it out. I'm praying they are as good as they sound, I don't think I could deal with another year of IOU's, being chased by companies and falling out with mates.

Keep pestering him! facebook, text, call, social media, everything! I'm still in the same position with someone who got kicked out of uni at christmas and left our house. He owes me a small fortune in gas and electricity bills! Won't answer my calls texts anything, I've started pestering his gf now. It's so frustrating!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending