Want more information about this university?
92J
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello there!

I was originally making this thread to ask about what fitness requirements are there to be able to join the American football team at UoM, but I think I'll send an e-mail instead.

So this thread will now be dedicated to those of you who will be/are at UoM and like American sports (NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB etc.) Also if you want to mention your accommodation to see if anyone in the same place as you likes the same kind of sports/teams, that would be pretty cool.

I mostly watch NHL myself (only in the past couple years though) and I'm an avid fan of the Chicago Blackhawks.
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by 92J)
Hello there!

I was originally making this thread to ask about what fitness requirements are there to be able to join the American football team at UoM, but I think I'll send an e-mail instead.

So this thread will now be dedicated to those of you who will be/are at UoM and like American sports (NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB etc.) Also if you want to mention your accommodation to see if anyone in the same place as you likes the same kind of sports/teams, that would be pretty cool.

I mostly watch NHL myself (only in the past couple years though) and I'm an avid fan of the Chicago Blackhawks.

hi,

Did you email them and get any reply?

You could share the info here if you did.
92J
Rep:
?
Hi there!

I have e-mailed them, but I haven't had a reply yet - I will share any info I get though
tigeradam
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi,
I'm a massive American sports fan but don't really watch NHL.
I follow the Colts, Pacers and Angels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
92J
Rep:
?
(Original post by tigeradam)
Hi,
I'm a massive American sports fan but don't really watch NHL.
I follow the Colts, Pacers and Angels.
Indiana fans still exist after Manning moved to Denver? no way! - I don't have a specific favourite NFL team but I tend to watch the Bears, Bucs, Cowboys and the odd Redskins games.

Aside from all this sports talk, are you a current UoM student or future one?
tigeradam
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by 92J)
Indiana fans still exist after Manning moved to Denver? no way! - I don't have a specific favourite NFL team but I tend to watch the Bears, Bucs, Cowboys and the odd Redskins games.

Aside from all this sports talk, are you a current UoM student or future one?
Haha yeah, I've only been watching for a few years though so I just about missed the Manning Colts era!

I'm hoping to be going next year (fingers crossed!). What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
DropkickSmurfy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Huge US sports fan here, but then my mum is American, so my US family (especially my cousins) have never given me the option not to be!

NHL is my main sport too, and as my mum hails from Pittsburgh (where almost all her family still live), I'm obviously a Penguin.

NFL team is the Steelers and MLB is the Pirates.

Pittsburgh doesn't have an NBA team, so with regards to basketball, Pittsburghers tend to focus on the main college team; Pitt Panthers (University of Pittsburgh), and I've followed suit. There are strong rumours that the next new NBA team will be in the Burgh, so I'm holding out until then!!
tigeradam
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by DropkickSmurfy)
Huge US sports fan here, but then my mum is American, so my US family (especially my cousins) have never given me the option not to be!

NHL is my main sport too, and as my mum hails from Pittsburgh (where almost all her family still live), I'm obviously a Penguin.

Pittsburgh doesn't have an NBA team, so with regards to basketball, Pittsburghers tend to focus on the main college team; Pitt Panthers (University of Pittsburgh), and I've followed suit. There are strong rumours that the next new NBA team will be in the Burgh, so I'm holding out until then!!
Hi,

It's nice to see people staying to loyal to one city's teams

Are you at UoM at the moment?

Posted from TSR Mobile
DropkickSmurfy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi,

It's nice to see people staying to loyal to one city's teams

Are you at UoM at the moment?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not at the moment, but barring a complete disaster in my exams, I should be there in September!
tigeradam
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Me too! What do you want to study?

Posted from TSR Mobile
92J
Rep:
?
Haha yeah, I've only been watching for a few years though so I just about missed the Manning Colts era!

I'm hoping to be going next year (fingers crossed!). What about you?
I'm more of an Eli fan than Peyton. I'm about to start at UoM this September to study Chemistry.

(Original post by DropkickSmurfy)

I'm more of a Western conference guy but Penguins are my Eastern team as Pittsburgh, Tampa (Florida as a whole is my second favourite state, but I don't like Dolphins or Heat) and Dallas are my 3 other favourite cities. I don't watch MLB as it takes way too long, but my MLB team is also Pirates (other than Cubs). My basic philosophy is that if the team has some sort of native American or pirate theme (or from Chicago) to it then I love it. So I like the following teams:
MLB:
Pirates
Cubs
NBA:
Bulls
(I also like Raptors)
NFL:
Bears
Buccaneers
Cowboys
Chiefs
Redskins
Steelers
NHL:
Blackhawks
Penguins
(I also like Panthers and Lightning as much as each other).

I've probably missed some teams, but what are you going to study? - Best of luck to both of you

OH also, I'm slowly getting into CFL and my team are the Stampeders as I love Alberta and Eskimos look like the Packers and that just isn't right.

One last edit as I forgot to say that I plan to watch more College football and the team I intend to watch/support are Florida State Seminoles.
tigeradam
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm going to study Maths, good luck to you too

I'm one of those people who can watch a game no matter who's playing, and enjoy it. I also prefer Eli, let's hope he can get back to his best this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
92J
Rep:
?
I'm going to study Maths, good luck to you too

I'm one of those people who can watch a game no matter who's playing, and enjoy it. I also prefer Eli, let's hope he can get back to his best this year!
I hope everything works out for you mate!

I wouldn't mind seeing Giants do well, much more than Broncos.
DropkickSmurfy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm going to be studying History and Politics.
tigeradam
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Nice! Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Allyru709
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by 92J)
Hello there!

Chicago Blackhawks all the way!!! (coming from a Canadian)
Clip
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've never heard of any university club ever having fitness requirements for joining (unless possibly you are life-threateningly unhealthy). If you're terrible, you just don't go into the teams, you can just stay in intramural sports or training.
brockles
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
All the DC teams for me so Redskins in the NFL, Capitals in the NHL, Nationals in the MLB and Wizards in the NBA.
92J
Rep:
?
Alas, here is the e-mail I was given:

We are eager to take any new players on and we have systems in place to develop athletes to increase their overall performance and therefore enjoyment of the sport. I myself was new to the sport last year and I received a lot of help from the coaches and my fellow teammates to improve my abilities.

We will discuss with each new player about where we think their talents are suited best on the squad, however if you have a strong preference this can be accounted for and any further development that might be required can be discussed. So don't be disheartened if you get told we want you to play somewhere else.

If there is any strength or fitness work you feel comfortable doing then I encourage you to take advantage of the time you have now to gain a head start on other newcomers to the team. We encourage all of our existing players to work on these factors over the summer although they do feature heavily in our in season training.

If there is any further information or help you require don't hesitate to get in touch, however make sure you attend the fresher's fair so that you can meet up with some of the team to get information about training times at the start of the year.

I hope this helps anyone else who wants to play American football at UoM!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (706)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (889)
42.72%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.89%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads