M274 - Motion on the Commonwealth Games

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Faland
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
M274 - Motion on the Commonwealth Games, The Rt. Hon. Mechie MPThis house believes that the Commonwealth of Nations is a backwards concept, harking back to the colonial days of the British empire, and should be dissolved immediately. This house believes it is a remnant of our shameful past as a colonialist nation, and we should be seeking closer integration with our European allies.

As such, this house believes that the Commonwealth Games should be abandoned as an event, and a large multi-sport European Games should be introduced as an alternative, more modern event.
MacDaddi
Badges: 15
Report 6 years ago
How unbelievably dull. Rather than running away from our colonial past, we should embrace it; it is a part of our history believe it or not.

The Commonwealth has imperialistic origins, but today it serves a very different purpose than the promotion of our interests.

Massive Nay from me
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
But England have been doing so well! :O
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
'Nay'.

The Commonwealth exists and wishes to face off in a sporting manner.

I reject the notion that our colonial past is shameful.

While i support the creation of a federal Eurozone state, i'm tempted to look towards the Anglosphere.
Cryptographic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Exciting stuff this motion.

There already is a European Athletics one so I doubt they would let a different championship effectively supersede it, and it is happening on the 12-17th of August in Zurich.

It may have been established as a colonial thing, but it now has thrown off those ideas and it a forum for world leaders to meet informally as well as bringing together citizens of the world.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd like to echo Rakas' comments about the 'Anglosphere'. I see nothing wrong with the celebration of our common history and culture.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The Commonwealth Games, a multi-sport event that has able bodied and disabled athletes competing in the same event. Backward?

Nay, nay, thrice nay (apologies to the late Frankie Howerd).
MangoFreak
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am always in support of greater international cohesion, and do not believe that past events should have any bearing on the present (obviously ignoring direct causal relationships ). Ergo, no matter its origin, I would like to see the Commonwealth remain.
ukip72
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
**** no.

We should be looking for closer ties with the anglosphere, funnily enough I don't see a European Games as particularly appealing either. I wish people would get over our colonial past already, yes, we had an empire, it doesn't mean we all have to kill ourselves as punishment.
The Legal Eagle
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Nay!
PhysicsKid
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It must be quiet around here! They hardly have the profile of the Olympics do they, so beyond cheering some peoples' disposition, they're not exactly a nationalistic parade event, are they? Abstain.
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Usually I'd agree, but the Commonwealth games have been good for Scotland and certainly have been good for NI. As far as I see, it causes more good than harm.
Blue Meltwater
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not sure about abandoning the Commonwealth Games - they've become such an institution and are a great opportunity for people to get involved in sports. However I wholeheartedly endorse the sentiment of the first paragraph and think a European Games would be a great idea.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
To conform with parliamentary rules and protocol I declare an interest in that the son of someone I know is participating in the Commonwealth Games and that I am attending them on Saturday.
Superunknown17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Nay, as TBM said it's been good for Scotland and NI but it's also been good for Wales. I'm not against a UK team but it's nice to see individual Welsh efforts being recognized even if it is only a small total compared to a combined UK one.
Cryptographic
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
To conform with parliamentary rules and protocol I declare an interest in that the son of someone I know is participating in the Commonwealth Games and that I am attending them on Saturday.
Nice, which event?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Green_Pink
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So to avoid harking back to Britian's colonial past, you want to abolish the only even where the four home nations compete independently rather than as the colonial United Kingdom? Bizarre indeed. This is a popular even between nations with a shared history, there is no reason to abolish it other than some fringe-left, revisionist, out-of-touch political point scoring. Nay.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Cryptographic)
Nice, which event?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Athletics including a certain Mr Bolt
Jean-Luc Picard
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
im temporarily a Green MP proxying for Chlorophile, I will be voting in favor of this, the commonwealth is nothing more than an imperial colonial hang on, half the nations in it have vile policies on things like gay rights as well, maybe being told to get their own heads of state might force some progress in these places as an added bonus.
Green_Pink
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jean-Luc Picard)
im temporarily a Green MP proxying for Chlorophile, I will be voting in favor of this, the commonwealth is nothing more than an imperial colonial hang on, half the nations in it have vile policies on things like gay rights as well, maybe being told to get their own heads of state might force some progress in these places as an added bonus.
How'd you figure that one out? I'm not a massive fan of the Monarchy myself, but the thesis the Queen is responsible for them being homophobic is plain silly. If they're homophobic countries, they'll elect homophobes - which is hardly likely to help. Progress will come from development and education, not replacing a British figurehead with a local one.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (25)
20.49%
No (97)
79.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise