Does anyone learn about the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s as a rule in History courses?

Watch
Nogoodsorgods
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
History- what happened in the past. Add anything else to that and you're only specifying a certain type of history - one of royalty, politics or war

You can't truthfully separate history from the cultural conditions. Plays, entertainments of all kinds, radio, TV, advertising, architectural styles. They inform and inspire mindsets and create history themselves.
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Nogoodsorgods)
History- what happened in the past. Add anything else to that and you're only specifying a certain type of history - one of royalty, politics or war

You can't truthfully separate history from the cultural conditions. Plays, entertainments of all kinds, radio, TV, advertising, architectural styles. They inform and inspire mindsets and create history themselves.

We did Vietnam war in history which is in that time period and Falklands.
tehforum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah, some syllabuses go up to the 90s like the Gulf War.
subjunctivehistorian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Motorbiker)
We did Vietnam war in history which is in that time period and Falklands.
the vietnam war is my favourite history period to study ever.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I studied History at university some time ago. That same History course now has a module studying the decade in which I was at university. I am now officially part of historical studies! :eek:
MrWindUpBird
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My second-year A-level history course covered all aspects of UK history (social, economic, political, foreign policy) from 1951 all the way up to 2007 (I remembered some of it!), so yes, I guess you can do it in certain units, and the same seems to be true at certain Unis, so yeah

Of course we didn't truly dig into every single area because with the broader questions of an A-Level exam compared to a degree level dissertation, there just wasn't time, but I did do some extra reading into things like the music, literature, architecture etc. of the time and it can be fairly useful (wasn't really for me, but that was because of that year's exam)
JimmyMorrisons
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I studied Thatcher, the Miner's Strike and Poll Tax Riots, all very interesting stuff.
Definitely a nice period to cover as you have readily available news material in BBC archives, plus the generation before us lived through that.

I'd like to study post-war Germany as well, and Russian politics during the 80's and 90's
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
We studied Britain up until the end of the Thatcher years, and studied USA throughout the 20th century.
Ndella
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
At AS the most recent time period we were allowed to study was the duration of the Cold War, so up to 1991. There was an aspect of morals we had to learn about alongside the politics, such as the establishment of the CND and the public's reaction to the nuclear arms race. It was so fun to learn
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (138)
59.23%
No (52)
22.32%
Not sure (43)
18.45%

Watched Threads