KiwiMonkey96
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi all, I am hopefully starting a biomedical science course in September and am wondering how much essay writing I will need to do under time conditions, i.e in exams. It is really concerning me as I can never do them in a time limit even though normal short answer questions I seem to be fine on. Writing essays is not a problem it is just when doing them in timed conditions. I know this as in my BIOL5 exam I only managed to complete half of the essay and have guessed (an educated guess mind you after I had done plenty of practice ones and there have a moderate idea on how they are marked) that I have got a maximum of 16/25 which could be lower if the pressure has not effected my quality of written communication and that all the information is relavent. It is quite irritating considering that I should be able able to get an A, (potential A* student according to my teacher) ans even though I think I may be able to get past it this time and still do very well it worries me that this may not be the case at university.
KiwiMonkey96
Rep:
?
If anyone could answer I would be very grateful
reecehorsley
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hello, I've just finished my biomed degree at Lincoln. Essay writing wise, most of the long essays were throughout the year, needing things like full referencing etc. In exams, our lecturers were always aware of how much time we needed, and so exams, if they had large essay style questions in, would always give enough time to do it properly. Also, there's lots of people at our uni to help you with making sure that when it does come to writing essays in exams, you'll be able to be as good as you can be
KiwiMonkey96
Rep:
?
Thanks for replying the thing is that I am fully capable of writing essays and writing them very well, just not in exams. In my class doing timed essays I would always write much less in the time due to 2 factors 1) I am just very slow at writing and therefore cannot physically write as much as I need and 2) I am very slow at processing words especially when it comes to longer answers like essays. This obviously means that if they make the time limit according to most people I will still have to take longer than them and therefore will not finish in time. I'm hoping to be able to get extra time - I have recently received a diagnosis which may make this possible - but considering I have done all my other exams before in normal time and got decent results I am going to find it hard to prove that I need it :/
Mr. Tizzy XII
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi, past Biomedical Science student of Aston University here:

The vast majority of exams are long answer / essay based. In my final year only one exam was MCQ (and it was unexpectedly tedious), and the rest were in the format of answering 2 questions from a set of 4 in a 90 minute exam with 45 minutes per question.

I have never personally had trouble with timed essay based questions but I guess that doesn't help you :grin: Perhaps you could practice leading up to exams? Or perhaps during the essay based work you will presumably be given throughout the course (I know that I did my essay based assignments as fast as possible in last-minute panic) :bigsmile:

Good luck with your course!
KiwiMonkey96
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr. Tizzy XII)
Hi, past Biomedical Science student of Aston University here:

The vast majority of exams are long answer / essay based. In my final year only one exam was MCQ (and it was unexpectedly tedious), and the rest were in the format of answering 2 questions from a set of 4 in a 90 minute exam with 45 minutes per question.

I have never personally had trouble with timed essay based questions but I guess that doesn't help you :grin: Perhaps you could practice leading up to exams? Or perhaps during the essay based work you will presumably be given throughout the course (I know that I did my essay based assignments as fast as possible in last-minute panic) :bigsmile:

Good luck with your course!
Thanks for your reply. I will of course try and practice and see how much I can get it better but I practised so much for the essay in BIOL5 and still could not even make my aim of getting 3 quarters done so my only hope seems to be that I am able to convince the uni that I need extra time :/ writing essays is not the problem,it is just the time limit
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (738)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (928)
42.69%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (413)
19%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (95)
4.37%

Watched Threads