The Student Room Group

Do I have a chance of getting into medical school prelimary/foundation A104 course

I want to go to medical school however I have not taken chemistry at A level so cannot go straight into it. Instead I found a foundation course A104 at cardiff and southhampton(closest to me) which basically turns a 5 year medicine course into a 6 year one.

I just finished my first AS year and am waiting for my result in two weeks. I studied biology, psychology, health and social and sociology, I am aiming for AAAC. At GCSE I got ; business studies btec diploma-distinction star (worth a*x4 at gcse but not sure if it counts, biology-A, physics A, chemistry-B, maths-A, art-B, drama-B, English language-A, English literature-B, ict-distinction , critical thinking-merit- if the diplomas and OCR courses count- that's 4 A*, 6A and 5B's
The ASs you're doing aren't the right combo for a normal A100 Medicine course, but I'm guessing from the fact that you're asking about the foundation course that you know that they'll take people who do your subjects at AS :smile:

I think your best shot is to just take a look at the websites and trawl through them, and if you can't find an answer then email/ring someone in admissions :smile:
Original post by Samsw
I want to go to medical school however I have not taken chemistry at A level so cannot go straight into it. Instead I found a foundation course A104 at cardiff and southhampton(closest to me) which basically turns a 5 year medicine course into a 6 year one.

I just finished my first AS year and am waiting for my result in two weeks. I studied biology, psychology, health and social and sociology, I am aiming for AAAC. At GCSE I got ; business studies btec diploma-distinction star (worth a*x4 at gcse but not sure if it counts, biology-A, physics A, chemistry-B, maths-A, art-B, drama-B, English language-A, English literature-B, ict-distinction , critical thinking-merit- if the diplomas and OCR courses count- that's 4 A*, 6A and 5B's

Southampton require chem for their BM6 (A104) course :sadnod:. So you won't be eligible to apply for that.
http://www.southampton.ac.uk/medicine/undergraduate/courses/bm6_a102.page?#entry

Look into UEA, Kings, Leeds, Durham, Manchester, Nottingham.... I don't know their requirements but I know they have widening participation courses like Southampton's.
Reply 3
Original post by Neostigmine
Southampton require chem for their BM6 (A104) course :sadnod:. So you won't be eligible to apply for that.
http://www.southampton.ac.uk/medicine/undergraduate/courses/bm6_a102.page?#entry

Look into UEA, Kings, Leeds, Durham, Manchester, Nottingham.... I don't know their requirements but I know they have widening participation courses like Southampton's.

Southhamptons course is a102 which I only noticed yesterday! Which means I would need chem as you said😧 A104 doesn't require chem but the only ones accessible for me distance wise is uea and cardiff!
Original post by Samsw
Southhamptons course is a102 which I only noticed yesterday! Which means I would need chem as you said A104 doesn't require chem but the only ones accessible for me distance wise is uea and cardiff!

Sorry, yeah of course it is A102!

As much as I hate to say it, more than half of med applicants get rejected. If you're serious about it then you're massively reducing your chances by choosing geographic locations rather than places you're likely to get in to.
Reply 5
Original post by Samsw

Medical schools are unlikely to consider your BTEC's. If they do, they will equate it to being worth 1 GCSE i.e 4 Distinction stars will be worth 1 A/A*.

Therefore it depends on the medical school whether you have 1 A* 5 A's 4 B's or 6A's 5 B's or 4 A's 4 B's. Do you research to see how they consider your academic criteria.

Best of luck.

Quick Reply

Latest