Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    speed walking/cross-trainer/swimming would be my choice
    Yea all cardio stuff, which i hope i can do in the gym. Then once i'm ready will be joining me mum running outside.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=alio]
    (Original post by Specialheffa)
    Hi there, i know some people on here, have a real deep knowledge into fitness and work. For the past two weeks i have been every other day doing the exercise bike and step machine (1hr usally, either 45 on bike/step or 30/30). I now feel ready for gym work.

My proposed programme is:
    MON: Running/rowing & arm weights
    TUE : Bike/Step & Leg weights
    Wed: Run/Row & Arm
    Thurs: Bike Step & Leg
    And it follows like that. Also squash on some evening.

What do those 'in the know' think of this programme? Will it help me loose weight (foremost), increase fitness and eventually once i lose the weight tone?

Really appreciate any input! Thanks guys[/QUOTE

the best way to lose weight is cardiovascular training really rather than strength training. i think the running will help u a lot but make sure ure not doing too many weights as these will jut cause fatigue. :rolleyes:
    So advice seems to do more cardio, then progress to weights? Or keep a balance of both

ReputationRep:
    So advice seems to do more cardio, then progress to weights? Or keep a balance of both
    well weights help you build muscles - in turn muscles use energy so more muscles use more energy usage, so easier to lose weight too, but it is more indirect

ReputationRep:
    A balance. Do not underestimate weight training.

ReputationRep:
    Phew.. see don't really know much. thanks for you help narb, keep the advice coming!
    I havent given any yet. As your female(according to your profile) and wanting to lose 3-5 stone then you probably want to drastically cut calories I reckon. So go for about 1400 calories a day, and it has to be structured eating. Eat 6 SMALL meals a day, rather than 3 big ones. Dont go without eating for more than 3 hours otherwise your metabolism will slow down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    well weights help you build muscles - in turn muscles use energy so more muscles use more energy usage, so easier to lose weight too, but it is more indirect
    So i think (unless sillynarb) has any more info, do work on cardio first and foremost, and once i'm satisifed i can then tone and use the weights?

ReputationRep:
    weight bearing activity is also good to help prevent osteoperosis (sp), right narb?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    I havent given any yet. As your female(according to your profile) and wanting to lose 3-5 stone then you probably want to drastically cut calories I reckon. So go for about 1400 calories a day, and it has to be structured eating. Eat 6 SMALL meals a day, rather than 3 big ones. Dont go without eating for more than 3 hours otherwise your metabolism will slow down.

Jesus thats alot of eating! I guess i'll have to get into that routine!

ReputationRep:
    how fit r u at the moment? if i ws giving advice to some1 really overweight id say do at least 7 week of cardio training before going onto strength and weights. if ure not that overweight do mainly cardio training and a little strength training.
    are u going to increase the intensity of the endurance training each week?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    how fit r u at the moment? if i ws giving advice to some1 really overweight id say do at least 7 week of cardio training before going onto strength and weights. if ure not that overweight do mainly cardio training and a little strength training.
    are u going to increase the intensity of the endurance training each week?
    I am quite fit at the mo, as i said, almost daily for the last two weeks been doing between 30-60min cardio work. I try to play squash at least 3 times for over an hr. The 7 week things sounds fine, but why would you suggest that? I wasn't going to increase the intensity each week, maybe every 2 or once month?

ReputationRep:
    Look, lets be practical here. Youre female, I highly doubt you want to be putting on the significant amount of muscle needed to boost your resting metabolic rate to the required level. So lets throw weights out of the door.

When it comes to cardio, use the machine that uses the most amount of calories in the shortest time - cross trainer is probably the best machine for this, swimming is also as good but you said youre a little shy at the moment. Next would be the rower. Do this everyday, no rest days. Start off with something low, 20 minutes, increase it by 2 minutes every session or what have you. Try and keep the intensity as high as possible. 80%MHR is a good idea. This is hard work and itll take time to work up to the required level.

Eventually youll be doing 40minutes of 80%MHR exercise on the cross trainer 7 times a week, the weight its gonna come off, provided you sort your diet out.

Theres an alternative way of trying to diet, which is by doing extermely high intensity exercise, called interval training/HIIT 3 times a week, and filling in the remaining days with low intensity fat burning cardio(such as walking).
    But thats more for muscle maintenance which you said youre not particularly interested in..

ReputationRep:
    Jesus thats alot of eating! I guess i'll have to get into that routine!
    Its not alot of eating. Youll be averaging about 250 calories per meal 6 times a day. Thats about, 6 mars bars, or, 12 slices of toasts with butter. Not alot when you look at it that way...

ReputationRep:
    Look, lets be practical here. Youre female, I highly doubt you want to be putting on the significant amount of muscle needed to boost your resting metabolic rate to the required level. So lets throw weights out of the door.

When it comes to cardio, use the machine that uses the most amount of calories in the shortest time - cross trainer is probably the best machine for this, swimming is also as good but you said youre a little shy at the moment. Next would be the rower. Do this everyday, no rest days. Start off with something low, 20 minutes, increase it by 2 minutes every session or what have you. Try and keep the intensity as high as possible. 80%MHR is a good idea. This is hard work and itll take time to work up to the required level.

Eventually youll be doing 40minutes of 80%MHR exercise on the cross trainer 7 times a week, the weight its gonna come off, provided you sort your diet out.

Theres an alternative way of trying to diet, which is by doing extermely high intensity exercise, called interval training/HIIT 3 times a week, and filling in the remaining days with low intensity fat burning cardio(such as walking).
    But thats more for muscle maintenance which you said youre not particularly interested in..
    Wow, you know your stuff. Well i'll try that definitely, what about the running machine? Is there any point i should weights, what about to tone up the body after weight loss (e.g. arms)

ReputationRep:
    Its not alot of eating. Youll be averaging about 250 calories per meal 6 times a day. Thats about, 6 mars bars, or, 12 slices of toasts with butter. Not alot when you look at it that way...
    Cool. What also could you eat in that time? I've also cut down on white carbs, only eating brown bread and pasta. Coz i like my pasta!

ReputationRep:
    Wow, you know your stuff. Well i'll try that definitely, what about the running machine? Is there any point i should weights, what about to tone up the body after weight loss (e.g. arms)
    When you get your bodyfat% down to the required level you will look 'toned' as you put it.

Running machine? Well, three things. Firstly, it is high impact and its not going to do your knees much good especially if youre 3-5stone overweight. Secondly, it doesnt burn as many calories as a machine such as the cross trainer. Thirdly, why not just go for a run outside? After about a week of going to the gym you will realise it is BLOODY hard work as its immensely boring. Standing on a machine for 40 minutes a day everyday is not fun. If you wanted to do running do it outside..

ReputationRep:
    When you get your bodyfat% down to the required level you will look 'toned' as you put it.

Running machine? Well, three things. Firstly, it is high impact and its not going to do your knees much good especially if youre 3-5stone overweight. Secondly, it doesnt burn as many calories as a machine such as the cross trainer. Thirdly, why not just go for a run outside? After about a week of going to the gym you will realise it is BLOODY hard work as its immensely boring. Standing on a machine for 40 minutes a day everyday is not fun. If you wanted to do running do it outside..
    i actually prefer doing running on a running machine cus theres a tv in my gym and you can look at how much you have run

ReputationRep:

You are a genius! I did do the running in the summer, my mum and dad run nearly every day outside, so i will be defo. You've been a great help narb, rep for you... Absolutely fantastic. AS you can see from my original programme i would have been doing alot of things wrong! Where have you got yr knowledge from?
    With the cross-trainer and rowing machine, do them every day? On the same day as well?

ReputationRep:
    Cool. What also could you eat in that time? I've also cut down on white carbs, only eating brown bread and pasta. Coz i like my pasta!
    Im not suggesting you should eat that, Im just saying thats the amount of food youre going to be eating - not alot.
    White carbs - lol :P
    Yes, only eat complex carbs(brown bread, brown rice) rather than the refined kind(white bread, white rice) which also means no chocolate..crisps...etc
    Also try and eat as much protein as possible as this makes you feel 'fuller' and you wont get as many hunger strikes.
    I would stay off the pasta personally, its almost all carbs - any leftover unburnt calories will go straight on as fat and it does this easier with carbs(after fat of course). Pasta also takes along time to digest..

ReputationRep:
    I am quite fit at the mo, as i said, almost daily for the last two weeks been doing between 30-60min cardio work. I try to play squash at least 3 times for over an hr. The 7 week things sounds fine, but why would you suggest that? I wasn't going to increase the intensity each week, maybe every 2 or once month?
    increase the intensity every 2 weeks then if ure fine with that. if ure using a treadmill i wud increase the speed by 0.5 each time rather than running for a longer period each time as u wud be using all the energy systems rather than just endurance

ReputationRep:
    You are a genius! I did do the running in the summer, my mum and dad run nearly every day outside, so i will be defo. You've been a great help narb, rep for you... Absolutely fantastic. AS you can see from my original programme i would have been doing alot of things wrong! Where have you got yr knowledge from?
    With the cross-trainer and rowing machine, do them every day? On the same day as well?
    Do one or the other, you need to do the exercise youre doing constantly. So no jumping from the cross trainer onto the rower, Id say, if youre looking for variety. Go for the cross trainer one day rower the next. Personally Id just stick to the cross trainer as it does burn more calories in a given amount of time..

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.