Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    If your really looking for highest calorie loss for time spent, in my experienceI find the stepper better than the cross trainer.
    This could well be true, Ive never actually used a stepper before as neither of the 2 gyms I go to have one. Also, if you have a stepper at home, it would probably be better to use that..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    What do you want to know?
    ive been running on tuesdays and thursdays for three years and 2 week ago i started doing 50 situps every morning and 20 pressups. i want to start increasing the number of each but ive been told that increasing will only improve endurance rather than strength. if this is true how can i increase the intensity without incresing the number of reps.
    Also will fartlek training improve much endurance or is it just for anaerobic improvement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    because of the cricket season + exams
    mmm irfan

ReputationRep:
    Well, for your first week. Id try something like:

20 minutes 80%MHR
    20 minutes 80%MHR
    22 minutes 80%MHR
    22 minutes 80%MHR
    24 minutes 80%MHR
    24 minutes 80%MHR

Keep increases it by 2 minutes every other day until youre doing 40 minutes...then you should aim to increase the amount of calories youre burning in the 40 minutes every couple of sessions. Although the calorie counters on the machines are as good as useless you can use it as a guide..
    Thant's great. So i shouldn't worry about the levels, coz on the rowing machine it goes up to level 10, the cross-trainer i don't know. So the time and & 80% is done at level 1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Specialheffa)
    Thant's great. So i shouldn't worry about the levels, coz on the rowing machine it goes up to level 10, the cross-trainer i don't know. So the time and & 80% is done at level 1?
    Well, it doesnt matter what level as long as your reaching the 80%MHR...itll be easier to reach it at a higher level and as your fitness increases its likely youll have to increase the resistance in order to reach the 80%MHR

ReputationRep:
    Well, it doesnt matter what level as long as your reaching the 80%MHR...itll be easier to reach it at a higher level and as your fitness increases its likely youll have to increase the resistance in order to reach the 80%MHR
    I'm gonna sound even more thick, but MHR is maximum heart rate. How do you know that your working at 80%? Does it tell you on the machine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    ive been running on tuesdays and thursdays for three years and 2 week ago i started doing 50 situps every morning and 20 pressups. i want to start increasing the number of each but ive been told that increasing will only improve endurance rather than strength. if this is true how can i increase the intensity without incresing the number of reps.
    Also will fartlek training improve much endurance or is it just for anaerobic improvement.
    Yeh increasing the number wont get your stronger - or I think you mean wont build muscle, as strength and muscle size arent the same things. You should be adding more weight in order to increase the intensity/stimulate muscle growth. This is pretty difficult whilst doing pressups as piling weight on your back is difficult. Try moving onto bench pressing, as it is essentially the same movement. Same with situps, increase the weight.

What is fartlek training?

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna sound even more thick, but MHR is maximum heart rate. How do you know that your working at 80%? Does it tell you on the machine?
    It will tell you your heart rate on the machine(most do anyway) so work out what 80% of your MHR is then look at the machine to see if youre reaching that heart rate...

Give or take 10bpm though as I dont believe theyre particularly accurate..

ReputationRep:
    Yeh increasing the number wont get your stronger - or I think you mean wont build muscle, as strength and muscle size arent the same things. You should be adding more weight in order to increase the intensity/stimulate muscle growth. This is pretty difficult whilst doing situps as piling weight on your back is difficult. Try moving onto bench pressing, as it is essentially the same movement. Same with situps, increase the weight.

What is fartlek training?
    thanks. fartlek is training on the track a whistle blows u start running about %70 of maximum speed for 20 secs, then walk for about 30 secs, then keep repeating depending on how fit u are. for me im dead after the second lap lol but still have to keep going

ReputationRep:
    It will tell you your heart rate on the machine(most do anyway) so work out what 80% of your MHR is then look at the machine to see if youre reaching that heart rate...

Give or take 10bpm though as I dont believe theyre particularly accurate..
    Right okay will do. My MHR is - 203, so 80% is 162.4. That's what i should be aiming for, and it will tell me on the machine, lets hope!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    thanks. fartlek is training on the track a whistle blows u start running about %70 of maximum speed for 20 secs, then walk for about 30 secs, then keep repeating depending on how fit u are. for me im dead after the second lap lol but still have to keep going
    Ahh, thats interval training is it not? I dont really know if it improves endurance or not, I just know im half dead after doing it and it burns alot of calories after exercise, as well as improving overall cardiovascular fitness..

ReputationRep:
    Right okay will do. My MHR is - 203, so 80% is 162.4. That's what i should be aiming for, and it will tell me on the machine, lets hope!
    Yeh, 160 sounds about right, there should be little sensors on the machines that you put your hands on or something? Or something to clip onto your ear??

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, 160 sounds about right, there should be little sensors on the machines that you put your hands on or something? Or something to clip onto your ear??
    I dunno about that, it's a pretty new school gym, but i'll have to check. Otherwise, should i get one of those watches or measuring thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    Actually this isnt interval training. Ive never come across this before...I do HIIT/interval training where you go at 100% for 30 secs and 65%MHR for about a minute...keep reducing the amount of time you rest gradually etc..

ReputationRep:
    I dunno about that, it's a pretty new school gym, but i'll have to check. Otherwise, should i get one of those watches or measuring thing?
    Theyre bloody expensive and I personally wouldnt pay the money for them..if there is no heart rate monitor just go by how you feel. You should be feeling pretty knackered and it should be pretty hard going at 80%

ReputationRep:
    Read your PM

ReputationRep:
    Theyre bloody expensive and I personally wouldnt pay the money for them..if there is no heart rate monitor just go by how you feel. You should be feeling pretty knackered and it should be pretty hard going at 80%
    Or count how many times your heart beats in 10 seconds and times that by 6. Thats just as good..

ReputationRep:
    Right take your ip then! I think the cross-training machine has got that facility (but has been broken, so praying its fixed by now). But the rowing machine hasnt!
    Thanks for your help narb!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big P)
    Read your PM
    Me? Dont have one..

ReputationRep:
    Thanks ever so much Narb, you are such a help! I will be getting back to my swimming eventually as well! As well as playing me squash!

Cant say how much this has helped!

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.