Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Surely increasing your heart rate and then stretching is only good preparation?
    A 5 minute warmup is sufficient for lifting weights, you just want to warm your body up and get blood flowing to the muscles - no need to stretch really..you can also do 1 or 2 reps at a low weight on the exercise youre doing to warmup as well. 30 mnutes cardio is way too much if youre looking to perform your best in a weights session..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    A 5 minute warmup is sufficient for lifting weights, you just want to warm your body up and get blood flowing to the muscles - no need to stretch really..you can also do 1 or 2 reps at a low weight on the exercise youre doing to warmup as well. 30 mnutes cardio is way too much if youre looking to perform your best in a weights session..
    For once we agree. You can stretch between sets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    For once we agree. You can stretch between sets.
    You can but there is no real need. Perhap if youre doing a compound exercise at a very heavy weight(deadlifts) then some stretching might be a good idea..

ReputationRep:
    And as you can tell im really struggling to put together sentences that dont have a massive amount of mistakes in them

ReputationRep:
    You can but there is no real need. Perhap if youre doing a compound exercise at a very heavy weight(deadlifts) then some stretching might be a good idea..
    Ah, deadlifts! I haven't done them for three months!

Cardio has a detimental effect on lifting weights, and if you do any at all it should definately NOT be before lifting weights. Certain forms of cardio raise your metabolic rate for longer than weights..
    Is it OK to run on rest days? Also, does all this resistance training make you really slow for things like rugby, squash, athletics etc.? I honestly have no clue about this stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Potter)
    Is it OK to run on rest days? Also, does all this resistance training make you really slow for things like rugby, squash, athletics etc.? I honestly have no clue about this stuff.
    Yeh its ok to run on rest days, although, you need to either do very high intensity(interval training) or very low intensity(fast walking) otherwise it will inhibit your gains. Obviously putting on muscle means extra mass so it might make you slower as theres more of you to carry. But I dont imagine it having a major effect, infact it might make you faster. Especially if you do something like plyometrics..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Specialheffa)
    Hi there, i know some people on here, have a real deep knowledge into fitness and work. For the past two weeks i have been every other day doing the exercise bike and step machine (1hr usally, either 45 on bike/step or 30/30). I now feel ready for gym work.

My proposed programme is:
    MON: Running/rowing & arm weights
    TUE : Bike/Step & Leg weights
    Wed: Run/Row & Arm
    Thurs: Bike Step & Leg
    And it follows like that. Also squash on some evening.

What do those 'in the know' think of this programme? Will it help me loose weight (foremost), increase fitness and eventually once i lose the weight tone?

Really appreciate any input! Thanks guys
    try a 12 min row............ it hurts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayrosser2004)
    try a 12 min row............ it hurts
    If a 12 minute row hurts you, then youre extremely unfit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Specialheffa)
    Quite a bit of weight: maybe 3-5 stone. Muscle loss?? can you gain it back?
    you shouldn't lose more than 1 lb as absolute maximum every week, otherwise what you will be losing will be muscle and not flab, so your metabolism will get messed up and sustaining your weight will be more difficult once you do lose the weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bathsheba)
    you shouldn't lose more than 1 lb as absolute maximum every week, otherwise what you will be losing will be muscle and not flab, so your metabolism will get messed up and sustaining your weight will be more difficult once you do lose the weight.
    This is simply total misinformation. Its more like 2-3lbs per week and once you start eating healthy you can expect maybe abit more for the first week or so..

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.