The Student Room Group

What revision guides are best for these subjects?

I want to get my AS level textbooks for next year but I want to make sure I'm getting the right ones that will get me as high a grade as possible. I'm taking History (OCR - European Enquiry/Germany and British Period Study/Tudor Government), Geography (Edexcel - Global Challenges and Geographical Investigations) and Sociology (AQA - Culture+Identity and Education with Research Methods). I'm also taking AQA English Literature studying The Struggle for Identity in Modern Literature, but I'm not sure if a revision guide is entirely necessary for English? I never needed one at GCSE but if it helps and you know a good one, I will definitely buy one! :biggrin: I'm aiming for the As *fingers crossed* in my exams so I want to get off to the right start here.

Thank you. :tongue:
Original post by wordnerd
I want to get my AS level textbooks for next year but I want to make sure I'm getting the right ones that will get me as high a grade as possible. I'm taking History (OCR - European Enquiry/Germany and British Period Study/Tudor Government), Geography (Edexcel - Global Challenges and Geographical Investigations) and Sociology (AQA - Culture+Identity and Education with Research Methods). I'm also taking AQA English Literature studying The Struggle for Identity in Modern Literature, but I'm not sure if a revision guide is entirely necessary for English? I never needed one at GCSE but if it helps and you know a good one, I will definitely buy one! :biggrin: I'm aiming for the As *fingers crossed* in my exams so I want to get off to the right start here.

Thank you. :tongue:

I’ve just finished A Level Geography on the Edexcel specification and achieved an A grade at AS, so I hope you’ll find this useful.

I bought a CGP book right at the start of the year to give myself a simple introduction to some of the new topics that I’d be covering at AS. I personally find CGP revision books too vague and lacking in content, so I wouldn’t recommend it as a main revision book, but its useful as a complementary one and it was reasonably good for some of the Unit 1 case studies.

Alongside that, in September, my teacher recommended that I purchase the Edexcel AS Geography textbook (Sue Warn) and I would be set additional questions from the book to push me further. We mainly used the AS Geography for Edexcel Student Book (Bob Digby) in class, which is a good textbook too but mostly consists of case studies, whereas the Sue Warn book gives you more detail on geographical concepts, and I found it more useful for Unit 2. It’s £20-25 depending on where you purchase it from, which is quite a lot to spend for one subject, but if your teacher has a copy or two, you could perhaps come to some sort of rental agreement by putting a deposit down for it, or agree to sell it back to the school once you’ve finished using it for AS.

Other than that, purchase binders for each of the units and ensure your notes are organised and kept up to date. Store marked essays in a sensible place, the Edexcel specification repeats similar questions time after time, so chances are, you'll get a question in the exam that you've seen an almost exact copy of before, it'll probably just be worded differently.

Best of luck, and if you've got any other questions, send me a message!
Reply 2
Original post by moggington
I’ve just finished A Level Geography on the Edexcel specification and achieved an A grade at AS, so I hope you’ll find this useful.

I bought a CGP book right at the start of the year to give myself a simple introduction to some of the new topics that I’d be covering at AS. I personally find CGP revision books too vague and lacking in content, so I wouldn’t recommend it as a main revision book, but its useful as a complementary one and it was reasonably good for some of the Unit 1 case studies.

Alongside that, in September, my teacher recommended that I purchase the Edexcel AS Geography textbook (Sue Warn) and I would be set additional questions from the book to push me further. We mainly used the AS Geography for Edexcel Student Book (Bob Digby) in class, which is a good textbook too but mostly consists of case studies, whereas the Sue Warn book gives you more detail on geographical concepts, and I found it more useful for Unit 2. It’s £20-25 depending on where you purchase it from, which is quite a lot to spend for one subject, but if your teacher has a copy or two, you could perhaps come to some sort of rental agreement by putting a deposit down for it, or agree to sell it back to the school once you’ve finished using it for AS.

Other than that, purchase binders for each of the units and ensure your notes are organised and kept up to date. Store marked essays in a sensible place, the Edexcel specification repeats similar questions time after time, so chances are, you'll get a question in the exam that you've seen an almost exact copy of before, it'll probably just be worded differently.

Best of luck, and if you've got any other questions, send me a message!

Thank you! That was really helpful, I'll get that one. :smile:
Original post by wordnerd
Thank you! That was really helpful, I'll get that one. :smile:

Wait until the start of the new term to purchase, no point if your school/sixth form already uses it. Check out the Student Unit Guides by Phillip Allan too, not sure what they're like for AS but they were super useful for A2.

Quick Reply

Latest