Turn on thread page Beta

Hamas keep new leader secret; an IDF success watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hamas has now apointed a new military leader, and his name is kept secret for security reasons. This is nothing but a success by the Israeli defensive forces. The terrorists leaders are now in the position that they cannot show up in public without risking a fate very similar to the peopel they take advantage of. Hamas leaders has always proclamated how tehy are ready to die for the campain to extinguish Israels existance. Now, when that is exactly what is happening, they go underground. The IDF has managed to significantly weaken the organisations ability to promote terror atacks in public. The message is now clear. Following an atack against Israel, Israel will atack those responsible for the atacks, not the middlemen they use and take advantage of. Not a second to soon for this change in policy if you ask me.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to see them try and keep it a secret from Mosad. I'm sure they already know who the leader is and what he's doing today, tomorrow and so on.

I thought it was this guy?

"Khaled Meshaal - Hamas' politburo chief in exile - was declared the group's overall leader after Yassin was killed."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    I'd like to see them try and keep it a secret from Mosad. I'm sure they already know who the leader is and what he's doing today, tomorrow and so on.

I thought it was this guy?

"Khaled Meshaal - Hamas' politburo chief in exile - was declared the group's overall leader after Yassin was killed."
    Well, I guess we cant really be certain about any of these statements. With organisations such as Hamas it always seems to take some time before they manage to settle down upon one option. Random statements which turn out to be innacurate usually come quite rapidly after an incident.

Btw: Did you know that PLFP claimed responsibility for the WTO atack on september 11th only to withdraw teh same statement minutes afterwards?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what you deem 'public', if you mean western news agencies then yes maybe they have; but I'm sure 'on the street' nothing has changed. Also with the vast amount of people ready to assume the leadership of Hamas, does the assassination of leaders really create 'equal' revenge for the vast amounts of Israeli citizens often killed in a single attack?. I'm not advocating Israeli tactics, in fact I disagree with them but I don't think the Israelis are in anyway scoring 'victories' over the Palestinians; all they are assuring is that the backlash will be more severe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajoruna)
    Depends on what you deem 'public', if you mean western news agencies then yes maybe they have; but I'm sure 'on the street' nothing has changed. Also with the vast amount of people ready to assume the leadership of Hamas, does the assassination of leaders really create 'equal' revenge for the vast amounts of Israeli citizens often killed in a single attack?. I'm not advocating Israeli tactics, in fact I disagree with them but I don't think the Israelis are in anyway scoring 'victories' over the Palestinians; all they are assuring is that the backlash will be more severe.
    The point is that sucessive leaders will now know what awaits them if they follow the same path.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    The message is now clear. Following an atack against Israel, Israel will atack those responsible for the atacks, not the middlemen they use and take advantage of. Not a second to soon for this change in policy if you ask me.

So, using your very immature and archaic approach to international relations and conflict reconcilliation, what do you believe is going to happen next??

The massively strengthened Hamas will now respond with bloody attacks on Israeli citizens. Israel, in its approach to this conflict, is simply condemning the next bus load of Israelis that are attacked by a suicide bomber to death, and everyone else to a life of fear and anxiety.

The Israeli government is nothing but a legal, US funded terrorist organisation that gives the Jewish religion worldwide a bad name. Certainly nothing (maybe apart from Mel Gibson) stokes the fire of anti-Semitism more than the actions of the Israeli government against the Palestinians. Although to a lot of people like myself the connection people make between the Israeli government and the Jewish religion is illogical and unfair, unfortunately to a lot of people they are both the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    The point is that sucessive leaders will now know what awaits them if they follow the same path.
    And you really think that the prospect of death (or the prospect of becoming a martyr) really discourages the sort of people who wish to lead Hamas?!? Such people are fanatics with such ideological zeal for their cause that they are willing to withstand anything to lead their people to a 'great victory'.

ReputationRep:
    If you havent been to israel, you really cannot form an opinion because the media makes israel out to be the victims when in fact they are nothing but a mini-1940-germany doing the exact same things to the people as the nazis did, only they(israeli`s) do it slower, more covertly and the news media will not report it. The world has no idea what is really going on over there, if they did, israel would be declared a nazi state. Dont believe me?

Go visit there and go to ramallah or any of the west bank areas. Imagine London after the bombings in ww2, then put a wall around it and force people to live in the mess. Thats the "nice" part of whats going on. The palestinians have nothing, and i mean that literally. The rocks they throw are from buildings bombed out by the IDF. Imagine if the military surrounded your town and randomly shot your citizens and run bulldozers over your houses. You would be mad right? You cant run away for theres nowhere to run to. If you do run, you get shot, if you stand your ground, you get shot. Does it make israeli`s feel good to shoot unarmed people?

Do they feel like they(israeli`s) are a mighty force to be reckoned with? When i was there in 2000, some helicopters fired missles into what appeared to be someones home. There is a genocide going on in israel but you`ll never know it from the media. Eventually the israeli`s will either kill or maim everyone in whats supposed to be palestine. I used to be on israels side too until i saw with my own eyes what they were, and are, doing.

Everyone that thinks israel is in the right should go there at least once. They will try to keep you from seeing the west bank but you can go if you demand to and agree that you may be shot dead by IDF with no questions asked. Going to Haifa or any other coastline city you`d think everything was as it is in the western world, thats what they want you to think too. Imagine hell being on earth and thats what you will see in the west bank.

For the real non-filtered facts of whats going on, visit http://www.ifamericaknew.org/

ReputationRep:
    An interesting website, though as is to be expected by anythng that argues one perspective it does overlook or 'leave out' certain details.

ReputationRep:
    With such a negative (and justified) view of the mainstream, corporate owned media, I assume your name is supposed to be ironic, FoxNewsRocks?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone agree that when Isreal retaliates against attacks they tend to go a bit over bord to the point where it is no longer just retaliation but an attack in itself. The statistic on the page the Foxnewsrocks put up just enphasise that the palistinians suffer more deaths and more injuries than the isrealies. I don't think that the palistinians should be attacking Isreal however I do believe that Isreal should be forced to withdraw from the occupied land by the UN. I wouldn't go so far as to say that what they we doing was genocide but they are not innocent in this whole matter. Fact like those on the web site are why 80% of people polled now see Isreal as a threat to world peace.

ReputationRep:
    I understand where you are coming from randdom, however I guess if the Israelis actually published every offence the people they have assassinated are linked to peoples perception of the matter might change. Personally I think state authorised assassinations are dangerous ground to walk on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    With such a negative (and justified) view of the mainstream, corporate owned media, I assume your name is supposed to be ironic, FoxNewsRocks?
    Yes, its not directed at fox news tho, my name is directed at the liberal politicians that despise fox news. No news media is totally unbiased, but fox does at least attempt to offer 2 sides to most political situations.

randdom, if you ever saw how the pals live, and what they go through just to walk down the street, you would understand why they blow themselves up. In all honesty, blowing yourself up is the only defense you have, and its the only way to get out of the concentration camps, and thats exactly what they are in the west bank. Killing is always wrong, but when you are humiliated, starving and desperate, what do you expect? Palestinians cant go anywhere, where can they go even IF they decided to give up? They just sit there waiting on their number to come up either from an IDF bullet/rocket or from a bomb belt. If you had to choose between dying needlessly from israeli`s or dying and taking some revenge, which would you choose?

If you want to see the American version of the IDF, check out www.jdl-ny.org They actually advocate violence against anyone that rejects israeli`s occupation in America, and they are a governmental lobbyist group!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FoxNewsRocks)
    randdom, if you ever saw how the pals live, and what they go through just to walk down the street, you would understand why they blow themselves up. In all honesty, blowing yourself up is the only defense you have, and its the only way to get out of the concentration camps, and thats exactly what they are in the west bank. Killing is always wrong, but when you are humiliated, starving and desperate, what do you expect? Palestinians cant go anywhere, where can they go even IF they decided to give up? They just sit there waiting on their number to come up either from an IDF bullet/rocket or from a bomb belt. If you had to choose between dying needlessly from israeli`s or dying and taking some revenge, which would you choose?
    I can see where you are comming from and I do believe that it is the responsibility of the Isrealies to stop this conflict. I think it is awful that people are being driven to commit suicide attacks and I don't think we can judge the for doing so. However I don't think it is a good thing that they are killing innorcent people. Isreali children die to! garenteed not in the same numbers that the palistinian children do but I think the international community should try and have less of a biased view and see that the isrealis are commiting acts of terrorism too. America in particular seems to see things as one sided which they aren't. Isreal like I have said should be forced to pull out by the UN because they are occupying and have no right to do so.

ReputationRep:
    randdom i agree with what you said 100%. As far as blowing up kids go, that is bad, but all the military personnel are on opposite sides of walls and fences, so getting close to them would be next to impossible. Dont get me wrong, i`m not justifying killing of anyone, just pointing out why they do what they do. The USA and Europe are just as guilty as israel because we support them in every way we can, this is the whole point of the thing. I watch the Prime Ministers Questions on cspan when i can and its good to see some of your MPs are at least aware of whats going on in israel. But Blair, like Bush, just brushes off concerns and moves on to the next question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FoxNewsRocks)
    randdom i agree with what you said 100%. As far as blowing up kids go, that is bad, but all the military personanel are on opposite sides of walls and fences, so getting close to them would be next to impossible. Dont get me wrong, i`m not justifying killing of anyone, just pointing out why they do what they do. The USA and Europe are just as guilty as israel because we support them in every way we can, this is the whole point of the thing. I watch the Prime Ministers Questions on cspan when i can and its good to see some of your MPs are at least aware of whats going on in israel. But Blair, like Bush, just brushes off concerns and moves on to the next question.
    Our government has recently condemed the attack made by the isrealis and support in Britain appears to be on the side of the Palistinians.

Dead: Hamas leader Abdel Aziz Rantisi

Israel's assassination of Hamas leader Abdel Aziz Rantisi has been condemned by Foreign Secretary Jack Straw.

Rantisi, his son and a bodyguard were killed in a helicopter missile attack on his car close to his home.

He became a top target after succeeding Hamas founder Sheik Ahmed Yassin as the Palestinian terror group's leader in Gaza City after he died in a similar attack last month.

A previous attempt on Rantisi's life prompted a suicide bombing that killed 16 Israelis.

Mr Straw said: "The British Government has made it repeatedly clear that so-called targeted assassinations of this kind are unlawful, unjustified and counter-productive."

Vote Now

Hard-liner Rantisi was recently named among Hamas leaders whose assets in Britain were being frozen by Chancellor Gordon Brown.

However, his assassination is likely to increase criticism of Prime Minister Tony Blair following his Washington talks with US President George Bush.

It follows Mr Bush's endorsement of Israel's controversial plan for unilateral withdraw from some of the occupied territories.

Palestinians have denounced the plan, which would leave settlements in the West Bank and deny some refugees the right to return to Israel.

Is Israel right to kill Hamas members?
    Chat about the latest stories

Have your say on the message boards

Critics have also claimed it means the end for the internationally agreed "Road Map" to peace proposals.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares what Jack Straw thinks? The man is an idiot. He's always condoning the actions of Israel. It's ok for him, he's sitting nice and safe in Westminster, wait until there's a suicide bombing here; then he'll take a different stance i suspect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Who cares what Jack Straw thinks? The man is an idiot. He's always condoning the actions of Israel. It's ok for him, he's sitting nice and safe in Westminster, wait until there's a suicide bombing here; then he'll take a different stance i suspect.
    I care what Jack straw thinks, he has hit the nail on the head. If you were a palistinian being oppressed and under constant fear of death from foreign troops you may resort to suicide bombings to get you point into the international news. The fact of the matter is that Isreal is killing many more innocent palistinians than palistine is killing isrealies. You only have to look at the number of children killed so many more palistinian children are killed than isrealies I mean children are innocent right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    I mean children are innocent right.
    No, they're not. They go to training schools in their holidays and learn how to use guns, how to kill and sing songs about killing Israelis. They throw stones at innocent civilians and it was only last month when the Israeli army stopped a teenage suicide bomber at one of the checkpoints. So, no they're not innocent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    No, they're not. They go to training schools in their holidays and learn how to use guns, how to kill and sing songs about killing Israelis. They throw stones at innocent civilians and it was only last month when the Israeli army stopped a teenage suicide bomber at one of the checkpoints. So, no they're not innocent.
    The terms impressionable and brainwashing spring to mind.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.