Turn on thread page Beta

How many GCSE points did you get? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    do you ever do it?

lou xxx
    No, not really, we have PSE for an hour a week but Religion is not covered in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XTinaA)
    Predicted grades are hardly exaggerated. Mine are all As, wouldn't loook right if you only had my GCSEs to go on but AAA reflects my potential and ability. I did next to no work at GCSE anyway. You going to tell me my predicted grades are exaggerated?
    Yes, I will.

You got AABB at AS Level.

You got (whatever it was) at GCSE - Lower than the average person's GCSE grades who attained all A's at A-Level

A2's are hard in comparison.

2776 is predicted all A's at A-Level (sorry, just I picked him as his grades are really good).

All A*'s at GCSE.

His prediction isn't exaggerated whatsoever. It carries weight.

ReputationRep:
    They are what exactly?

Hey! I find economics interesting. But alas, maths is the only one I find fun
    English Lit, German and History....
    german's the funniest, 3 of us in the class and we just mess round 2 funni...we actually do it all in german tho...chattin in german

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Yes, I will.

You got (whatever it was) at GCSE - Lower than the average person's GCSE grades who attained all A's at A-Level

2776 is predicted all A's at A-Level (sorry, just I picked him as his grades are really good).

All A*'s at GCSE.

But some people don't realise their true potential at GCSE level but at A-level improve drastically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kokopops)
    English Lit, German and History....
    german's the funniest, 3 of us in the class and we just mess round 2 funni...we actually do it all in german tho...chattin in german
    Whatever floats your boat eh

I'm shouting it out, I'M A MATHEMATICIAN! ANd by no means the stereotypically geeky kind either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Yes, I will.
    All A*'s at GCSE.
    je suis confused, a girl in my year got like 2A's and 8B's at GCSE but was predicted AAAB at ALevel .... doesnt that contradict wat ur saying?>

ReputationRep:
    Whatever floats your boat eh

I'm shouting it out, I'M A MATHEMATICIAN! ANd by no means the stereotypically geeky kind either
    i just found maths and the sciences boring!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Yes, I will.

All A*'s at GCSE.

I'm aware that A2s are hard, I'm ****ing doing them :rolleyes:

But are you going to tell me, without knowing a shred about me barring my GCSE results, that AAA is beyond me?

ReputationRep:
    I'm aware that A2s are hard, I'm ****ing doing them :rolleyes:

But are you going to tell me, without knowing a shred about me barring my GCSE results, that AAA is beyond me?
    I didn't get all As at GCSE yet I am predicted 3As and a B. I wouldn't like to think I was incapable of achieving those grades, since this year I haven't missed half the year due to illness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Yes, I will.

All A*'s at GCSE.

And in contrast i know of several people with 12 A*s that were predicted 4A's for their AS's and didn't even manage a U whereas i was predicted
    3B's and a C.....& they complained after the exam results about how i achieved more than them....Lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    But some people don't realise their true potential at GCSE level but at A-level improve drastically.
    I see, so they can get lower than "All A's at A-Level" type GCSE grades, lower than ""All A's at A-Level"" type AS Grades, yet magically their prediction of All A's is correct.

No offense to juwel, he is clever, but TBH I don't think his GCSE grades and his AS Level grades warrant an All A's prediction which wasn't exaggerated.

BTW: This isn't saying that I'm having a go at you, my point is that in many (most) cases they are exaggerated for the sake of application.

If you got lower GCSE'S (for your ability) and then improved a lot to all A's at AS, the reference can say "he got all A's at AS, he has improved, his prediction is all A's." This carries weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kokopops)
    je suis confused, a girl in my year got like 2A's and 8B's at GCSE but was predicted AAAB at ALevel .... doesnt that contradict wat ur saying?>
    No, I'm talking about predicitions. Of course they aren't always accruate, i'm talking about the justification in making someone's prediction. i.e.) In many cases it is exaggerated.

ReputationRep:
    If you're such an AAA person then why didn't you prove it at GCSE and AS Level.

BTW: You thinking you are capable isn't the point. You may go on to achieve this. That isn't the point. The point is that for a person to make predictions, they only have 3 things to go on:

- GCSE Grades
    - AS Levels
    - Rate of improvement (at a push)

Your GCSE's, AS Levels, and rate of improvement did not warrant an All A's prediction that could not be deemed "exaggerated, pushing the boat out". That's all I'm saying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    I see, so they can get lower than "All A's at A-Level" type GCSE grades, lower than ""All A's at A-Level"" type AS Grades, yet magically their prediction of All A's is correct.

No offense to juwel, he is clever, but TBH I don't think his GCSE grades and his AS Level grades warrant an All A's prediction which wasn't exaggerated.

BTW: This isn't saying that I'm having a go at you, my point is that in many (most) cases they are exaggerated for the sake of application.

If you got lower GCSE'S (for your ability) and then improved a lot to all A's at AS, the reference can say "he got all A's at AS, he has improved, his prediction is all A's." This carries weight.
    People can step up a gear when it counts you know :rolleyes:

Let me break it down:
    Maths, I am pretty damn good, keen to learn and I find it fun. Guaranteed A.
    Accounting, everyone comes to me for help. My word is considered gold. Anything less than an A would be disappointing.
    Economics, a subject I took to very quickly, I understand all the concepts and my essay technique is strong. Given practice an A (true for most people).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Surely predicted A level grades are based on lecturers' assessment of a student's current performance on their A level courses, and GCSE results have no relevance.
    You mean AS Level results? Yes, if they got all A's at AS, i think an all A predition is fair. But he didn't, as well as the lower GCSE's which doesn't help the case either. (lower than a typical all A's at A-Level applicant).

ReputationRep:
    Surely predicted A level grades are based on lecturers' assessment of a student's current performance on their A level courses, and GCSE results have no relevance.
    My sixthform predicted the grades based on AS grades and current performance in the course. GCSE grades were of no relevance.

ReputationRep:
    People can step up a gear when it counts you know :rolleyes:

Let me break it down:
    Maths, I am pretty damn good, keen to learn and I find it fun. Guaranteed A.
    Accounting, everyone comes to me for help. My word is considered gold. Anything less than an A would be disappointing.
    Economics, a subject I took to very quickly, I understand all the concepts and my essay technique is strong. Given practice an A (true for most people).
    GCSE's and AS Levels count a lot.

Unless you are saying you didn't care about your university application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    If you're such an AAA person then why didn't you prove it at GCSE and AS Level.

BTW: You thinking you are capable isn't the point. You may go on to achieve this. That isn't the point. The point is that for a person to make predictions, they only have 2 things to go on:

- GCSE Grades
    - AS Levels
    - Rate of improvement (at a push)

Your GCSE's, AS Levels, and rate of improvement did not warrant an All A's prediction that could not be deemed "exaggerated, pushing the boat out". That's all I'm saying.
    EVERYONE in my sixth form KNOWS I'm capable of straight As, I've been doing it my whole life.

GCSEs, couldn't really be arsed. I got three Cs in subjects I don't give a second thought to. My B was English Lit, so what.

As for AS, knowing you can resit is a hell of a relaxer, perhaps too much. One B was but 4 UMS points off an A, the other was down to one slack module I'm retaking.

And teachers have far more to go on than what you listed. They know what type of student people are. They know people's strengths and weaknesses. They know of other factors that can affect a potential grade. So GCSEs and AS results are NOT the be all and end all.

ReputationRep:
    EVERYONE in my sixth form KNOWS I'm capable of straight As, I've been doing it my whole life.

GCSEs, couldn't really be arsed. I got three Cs in subjects I don't give a second thought to. My B was English Lit, so what.

As for AS, knowing you can resit is a hell of a relaxer, perhaps too much. One B was but 4 UMS points off an A, the other was down to one slack module I'm retaking.

And teachers have far more to go on than what you listed. They know what type of student people are. They know people's strengths and weaknesses. They know of other factors that can affect a potential grade. So GCSEs and AS results are NOT the be all and end all.
    what alevel grades are you predicted? soz if i missed it

ReputationRep:
    Well I don't know about AS levels as nobody did them when I was a lad (were seen as a copout). I just don't see how GCSE results should be taken into consideration at all; different subject matter even for the same subjects.
    I would say AS Level results should carry more weight in the A2 prediction - But, if you say, got a B at AS Level but superbly high at GCSE, it will help your case in the prediction.

Having said that, anyone who get's reasonably decent at GCSE/AS seems to get an exaggerated prediction of "all A's at A2 anyway".

That is why GCSE and (AS Grades where mentioned in the reference along with cashed in AS Levels) naturally carry weight - You show what you have, they judge. Not BS'd up.

Personal statement, teachers reference + exaggerated prediction (not as much, but to a fair extent) can be exaggerated or even BS'd.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.