The Student Room Group

Girls with aspergers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nathanielle
Yeah, but developmental psychologist have the same education and because treatment is paid, it counts as illness, as someone with ADHD or ... I think they just put all symptomy under mental health, because it has to be either a physical illness or mental illness. Of course some condition fall somehow in both categories, but at the end, the question under which category it is seen, has often to do with funding. If Autism would be no illness, you wouldn't get paid anything.

It can affect a lot of us physically too.
Original post by OU Student
It can affect a lot of us physically too.

Yeah, but not in a way, that it has physcial causes which are specifically down to Autism. That is why it is not counted as a physical condition. Your primary difficulties are not of physical nature. That is what I meant. Or better said, alone physical symptomes will never give you the diagnosis autism. The total lack of them, won't hinder you to get a diagnosis.
Yeah, but not in a way, that it has physcial causes which are specifically down to Autism. That is why it is not counted as a physical condition. Your primary difficulties are not of physical nature. That is what I meant. Or better said, alone physical symptomes will never give you the diagnosis autism. The total lack of them, won't hinder you to get a diagnosis.

But they're not mental health problems either.
But they're not mental health problems either.

Why not? Looking at what is all defined as mental health problem, following your logic a lot of condition would have to leave the ICD or DSM. (All developmental disorders - which are classified as psychatric conditions and treated by psychatrist - , all mental illness which are causing the same impairments as autism or impairments of the same quality, ... )

Or are we just talking about different mental health problems? Like e.g. only counting mental health problems who have their origin in your way of thinking and can happen to anyone and are only problems not illnesses, but then the argument with physical would make no sense at all.
(edited 9 years ago)
Why not? Looking at what is all defined as mental health problem, following your logic a lot of condition would have to leave the ICD or DSM. (All developmental disorders - which are classified as psychatric conditions and treated by psychatrist - , all mental illness which are causing the same impairments as autism or impairments of the same quality, ... )

Or are we just talking about different mental health problems? Like e.g. only counting mental health problems who have their origin in your way of thinking and can happen to anyone and are only problems not illnesses, but then the argument with physical would make no sense at all.

Urgh. It's NOT a mental illness. Or do you seriously think that things like having little no speech, not being able to hold eye contact are mental health problems?

Social services don't class us as mental health either. Hence why they won't touch us with a barge pole.

Mind don't appear to class it as a mental illness (it's not listed under their A-Z thing on their website) either.
Urgh. It's NOT a mental illness. Or do you seriously think that things like having little no speech, not being able to hold eye contact are mental health problems?

Social services don't class us as mental health either. Hence why they won't touch us with a barge pole.

Mind don't appear to class it as a mental illness (it's not listed under their A-Z thing on their website) either.

I sent you a PM a while ago about AS. I'm not sure if you got it? Sorry to sound annoying and pushy. I just wondered if you'd read it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, okay, I was not thinking about mind or something similar, but about the classifications as developmental disorder, which means it is part of the "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders" and thus I went to the assumption, as it is treated by psychatrist, it wouldn't be a physical illness. And as we have only two categories, I would class it under mental disorder. (I agree, mental health problem does sound more as describing not feeling well.) I get from where you come from, but e.g. shizophrenia also has its own subcategory, yet it is called mental illness.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
I was reluctant to post here but i want to share my experience. I am a qualified teacher who really struggles with social situations (sounds odd). I cannot make eye contact and never thought my social difficulties and anxiety was anything unusual until i started teaching.
I have bouts of depression and anxiety but over the years I have found mechanisms to cope and mask everything.
I don't interact well with adults and have very few friends but i can work really well with kids.
I have not got an aspergers or an asd diagnosis but do match so many of the traits.
In my opinion, if you can cope don't get a diagnosis because a label can be more of a hindrance than a help. But, if you really feel like you need to know from a professional then push to see an expert.

Hi, I hope to become a primary school teacher but am a little worried about aspergers-related issues holding me back. I'd be interested to know how you cope with situations where you need to interact with the parents because I know it can often be important to be very tactful, which is something I find difficult? Also, how did you cope with interviews to work in a new school?? I worry about coming across too awkwardly at interviews... Thanks!! :smile:
Original post by whovian42
Hey :smile:

I am at a fairly similar point and have been wondering whether to voice my concerns. I have wondered if I am Aspergers for nearly a year now since I first heard about it and realised that nearly everything that people said about it described me. I can relate to pretty much everything on the list but am worried that it will be dismissed as me just being a difficult teenager who has lived a sheltered life. Recently I have become quite depressed with the pressure of A-Levels and so all of the acting I normally do to cover up my 'quirks' has kinda been abandoned. As a result my parents think I am playing up to get attention but I don't know how to explain to them that it's how I am and how I always have been.

I would appreciate any advice on how/whether to pursue this further :smile:

Hiya! I would say it's certainly worth pursuing further, because if you do have Aspergers, you would be able to get support to help you cope through the rest of your education.

The way to go about pursuing this further would be to make an appointment with your GP. The following page has really good advice about how to go about explaining your concerns to your GP:
http://www.autism.org.uk/about-autism/all-about-diagnosis/diagnosis-information-for-adults/how-do-i-get-a-diagnosis.aspx

If you're still at school/college, you could try talking to a teacher or other member of staff (does your school have a special educational needs coordinator?) , if there's somebody you'd feel comfortable talking to.

Hope that helps :smile:
I'm really happy that there is already a thread about this as it's something I've considered for a while now.

Maybe a year ago I started looking at aspergers syndrome in girls and found myself identifying, like a lot of you have, with a lot of the traits. I've also been down the GAD/depression route but I also think there is more to it.

I've always wondered what to say to a doctor which is why I've not been. I find being in a room with a doctor when I'm unwell very awkward and struggle to speak to them then so taking this to them is almost like climbing a mountain. However, I do feel like a diagnosis would help me, again as a few have already said, it helps to explain behaviours etc including from when I was a young child and being a little 'different'.

All of you who have been diagnosed I'm just wondering how you approached the topic with your GP? As I've no idea where to start!
Original post by Tegan006
I'm really happy that there is already a thread about this as it's something I've considered for a while now.

Maybe a year ago I started looking at aspergers syndrome in girls and found myself identifying, like a lot of you have, with a lot of the traits. I've also been down the GAD/depression route but I also think there is more to it.

I've always wondered what to say to a doctor which is why I've not been. I find being in a room with a doctor when I'm unwell very awkward and struggle to speak to them then so taking this to them is almost like climbing a mountain. However, I do feel like a diagnosis would help me, again as a few have already said, it helps to explain behaviours etc including from when I was a young child and being a little 'different'.

All of you who have been diagnosed I'm just wondering how you approached the topic with your GP? As I've no idea where to start!

Before I went to my GP, I looked up the services in my area. I found a website for the group which do adult ASD assessments (if you're under 18, then look into child and adolescent services instead). I found that quite helpful because the website had information about referrals and what the process is like, but it's not essential for you to do.

My script for the GP appointment was very simple. I went in, sat down, and when they asked what the problem was I said "I'd like to be referred for an autistic spectrum assessment". They asked why, and I said "I've been doing a lot of research and I think lots of the traits explain the way I am" - and I gave a few examples. Then the doctor did the referral - the way it works will depend on your area. For me, I had to fill in a form which got sent off to the assessment people, and they got back to me three months later to make an assessment appointment.

Hi Tegan,

This page has very good advice on explaining to your doctor why you feel that you might have AS. http://www.autism.org.uk/about-autism/all-about-diagnosis/diagnosis-information-for-adults/how-do-i-get-a-diagnosis.aspx

You could start by saying "I've come to see you today because I heard about something called Asperger Syndrome and when I read up about it, I felt that I identified with many of the difficulties faced by people with this condition. These are some of the reasons why..."

There's nothing wrong with bringing what you want to say written down on a bit of paper if that helps. Try not to worry about it being awkward - if you do come across awkwardly to the doctor, this will only make it more evident to them that you may have aspergers! You could even say "I'm feeling a bit awkward about speaking to you about this".

The National Autistic Society have a helpline who can also advise you about how to approach the GP or other issues. http://www.autism.org.uk/living-with-autism/parents-relatives-and-carers/siblings/autism-helpline.aspx

Hope this is helpful!
Original post by Watch Key Phone
Before I went to my GP, I looked up the services in my area. I found a website for the group which do adult ASD assessments (if you're under 18, then look into child and adolescent services instead). I found that quite helpful because the website had information about referrals and what the process is like, but it's not essential for you to do.

My script for the GP appointment was very simple. I went in, sat down, and when they asked what the problem was I said "I'd like to be referred for an autistic spectrum assessment". They asked why, and I said "I've been doing a lot of research and I think lots of the traits explain the way I am" - and I gave a few examples. Then the doctor did the referral - the way it works will depend on your area. For me, I had to fill in a form which got sent off to the assessment people, and they got back to me three months later to make an assessment appointment.

That's great thank you,

you make it sound so simple but in my head it's just overcomplicated. But like you said it's a simple script just tell them what you want, I'm just worried they'll think I'm an idiot and there's nothing wrong with me!
That's great thank you,

you make it sound so simple but in my head it's just overcomplicated. But like you said it's a simple script just tell them what you want, I'm just worried they'll think I'm an idiot and there's nothing wrong with me!

It's understandable to be nervous about it. :smile: A few things to consider:
- Could you bring someone with you to the GP appointment? E.g. parent, friend..?
- You could write down the things you want to say and bring it with you to make sure you don't forget. (I did this, but then didn't use it - having it there was reassuring though)
- The GP doesn't know anything about autism/AS - you almost certainly already know more than them based on your own research! If they try to deny you, just calmly say "I'd like to be referred to someone who can properly assess me, please."
- If it turns out you're not on the spectrum, that doesn't make you an idiot. It just means it's something you looked into and found wasn't quite right.
Original post by Watch Key Phone
It's understandable to be nervous about it. :smile: A few things to consider:
- Could you bring someone with you to the GP appointment? E.g. parent, friend..?
- You could write down the things you want to say and bring it with you to make sure you don't forget. (I did this, but then didn't use it - having it there was reassuring though)
- The GP doesn't know anything about autism/AS - you almost certainly already know more than them based on your own research! If they try to deny you, just calmly say "I'd like to be referred to someone who can properly assess me, please."
- If it turns out you're not on the spectrum, that doesn't make you an idiot. It just means it's something you looked into and found wasn't quite right.

Thank you for all of the helpful advice.

I think I just need to get it over and done with and then I won't have to think about what could happen if I did any longer! I think writing notes will be the way to go.
The GP I saw, wasn't clued up on adult diagnoses (he told me he's a trainee) and said he needs to speak to someone, because he has no idea what to do with me.

He phoned me and told me what has to happen next if I still want to go down the diagnosis route.

I was referred to community mental health team (CMHT) and got my diagnosis that way.
Original post by *Tanji*
Hi. I am a 23 year old who has suffered from depression and social anxiety for many years but I have recently started thinking that these issues are a by-product of Aspergers. I have been diagnosed with depression and GAD but feel that the psychologists came to their decisions too quickly and that they did not take the time to consider the root.

I understand that Aspergers manifests itself differently in females and as such is harder to diagnose as girls are able to learn to copy some social skills and appear more neurotypical. I am seeing a psychologist next week and will express my thought that I feel I have Aspergers.

I can relate to most of the points in this link:

http://www.willowhope.com/pages/aspergers-traits-in-girls

Are there any girls out there with Aspergers who feel that getting diagnosed has helped?

I suffer from depression and used to have social anxiety too. I never really knew about autism and asperger's syndrome until I started my new job and work with many teenagers that have these. I've noticed I do share a huge number of the personality traits although I have never sought out a diagnosis because I don't feel that these things hinder my life in any massive way (other than when people don't "get" me).

I think sometimes when people have multiple mental health issues it becomes very muddled and even the so called professionals are very liable to make mistakes as to the root cause of your issues. That is, if there is even a clear cut root cause.

Good luck with the psychologist. And thank you for sharing that link! I can relate to it a lot!
The GP I saw, wasn't clued up on adult diagnoses (he told me he's a trainee) and said he needs to speak to someone, because he has no idea what to do with me.

He phoned me and told me what has to happen next if I still want to go down the diagnosis route.

Same with me, i went to speak to the GP about it. She only knew about child diagnoses so she said she would have to speak to another Dr to ask advice on what to do and get back to me. She found out what to do and called me to let me know and asked if i was happy to be referred. Then it's just a matter of waiting till i get to the top of the waiting list.
Original post by Tiger Rag
If you do get a diagnosis, don't expect the nhs to help you. And social services are equally rubbish. Or in my case, didn't understand my needs and then agreed with someone who clearly has no idea what autism is, that I can't possibly have autism and it's just anxiety.

I have some quite serious issues which can't be explained by my non existent anxiety. I have never been diagnosed with anxiety. I have been told I have depression and OCD. That was years before my autism diagnosis though.

Sorry to hear that, are you doing ok now?
I just want a diagnosis to justify the reason I feel like this.

Quick Reply

Latest