The Student Room Group

funding to Study japanese in japan

Hi, I'm starting a BA (Honours) English Language and Literature degree, with the open university in September. I'm looking to study Japanese in Japan for 3 months in every year of my degree.

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to fund this. Is there any way I can get this funded with a student loan; by volunteering with some organization, or is a personal loan the way to go?

Thank you.

Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
Original post by olryst
Hi, I'm starting a BA (Honours) English Language and Literature degree, with the open university in September. I'm looking to study Japanese in Japan for 3 months in every year of my degree.

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to fund this. Is there any way I can get this funded with a student loan; by volunteering with some organization, or is a personal loan the way to go?

Thank you.

How much would the 3 months cost you in Japan? Where in Japan are you planning to go?

If you don't mind could you tell me a breakdown of the price? For example Accommodation cost? Tuition cost? Living Expenses?
Original post by olryst

Thank you.

You could Au Pair :smile: It's a great way to save up money and learn the language. If your not into children, you could also try workaway.info and look in the japanese section :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks a lot i-love-coffee. Your suggesting are really interesting, I may well give them a go.
You should check out the Daiwa scholarship
Reply 6
Original post by olryst

Thank you.

My advice would be don't study Japanese in Japan. Don't study Japanese at all. It's a waste of time and that's coming from people who live in Japan and work there. You only need it if you want to live there or if you want a job there... even then you need to speak at a native level.
Reply 7
Original post by xmertic
My advice would be don't study Japanese in Japan. Don't study Japanese at all. It's a waste of time and that's coming from people who live in Japan and work there. You only need it if you want to live there or if you want a job there... even then you need to speak at a native level.

I intend to work there, once I have my degree.
Reply 8
Original post by olryst
I intend to work there, once I have my degree.

That's cool man, good ambition to have :smile: What as, if you don't mind me asking?

It's just a lot of J-vloggers that I watch, especially Gimmeabreakman have said it's worthless getting any sort of degree in Japanese :/
Reply 9
Original post by xmertic
That's cool man, good ambition to have :smile: What as, if you don't mind me asking?

It's just a lot of J-vloggers that I watch, especially Gimmeabreakman have said it's worthless getting any sort of degree in Japanese :/

English teacher. I just want to become proficient. I don't intend to do a degree in Japanese. My English degrees costing enough as it is.
Original post by olryst
English teacher. I just want to become proficient. I don't intend to do a degree in Japanese. My English degrees costing enough as it is.

Ahh I see, well yeah that's good! Good plan you have! I toyed with the idea of ALT'ing in Japan. But it's not my thing >< Where in Japan do you want to go? :smile:
If it's part of your degree in university, maybe you can see if where you study offer scholarships or if your university gives out bursaries. Also depends where you are in Japan, obviously if you're near the city - it will cost more than being some place else. Have you opened an ISA? You can save up money without interest if i recall correctly..
Reply 12
It's not part of my degree. I'm not sure whereabouts, in Japan, I want to go yet.
Original post by olryst
It's not part of my degree. I'm not sure whereabouts, in Japan, I want to go yet.

How much funding do you need for the 3 months?
Reply 14
£2000 maybe
Original post by olryst
£2000 maybe

Is that all? £2000 seems a little cheap. I watched a video of someone who went to Japan for 6 weeks and did a bit of studying and it cost him $4000 which is like just under £2400.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending