The Student Room Group

Poll: Are these things acceptable in Halls?

Scroll to see replies

Kind of curious as to what's going on with the poll. There's no "not okay" option to compare to? :tongue:
I'm not a big party person, but I am the type of person that has to have background noise the entire time I'm awake... and I don't sleep much, usually I'll go to bed around 3-4am but have music on because silence drives me crazy and I don't like having to listen to irritating things like clocks o_O I'm hoping we have pretty thick walls at my accom. lol, I did buy 50 pairs of earplugs about a year ago so might give out a pair to everyone in my flat :giggle:

My Uni has times set for noise level though, whether people actually stick with that I'm not sure... we're meant to keep noise to a "reasonable level at all times and, in particular at a low level between the hours of 11pm and 8am on weekdays and 12 midnight and 8am at weekends".
In my flat it was free for all. Someone kept stealing all our food, tens of pounds stolen until it got to the stage where I gave up buying food. I accepted the partying past 11 as sometimes I was involved. We had an agreement to do it on weekends and some weekdays (not all) and to not play any music past 10 during exam periods.

safe to say no one followed that agreement
ticked all but last one, possibly playing music LOUD all day would be wrong too

last one I would usually say yes, but for those others who eat specific foods and they took the last one of yours, well that's just going to cause problem
All is acceptable and more. Its a student halls of residence, not an old people's home.

If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.
Original post by Dilzo999
Headphones would take care of the loud music problem. I wouldn't mind if someone took my food and replaced it, although some people can be really picky so I would probably ask before taking.

sometimes you have to think about those international students whom their parent have sent them to UK with all the money they have. Those students are usually on tight budget and stealing their food is not cool at all
Reply 66
People who think it is okay to take food are exactly the reason I bought a mini fridge for my room. I am in student housing but not halls. I buy my food for me.
Original post by spleenharvester
Kind of curious as to what's going on with the poll. There's no "not okay" option to compare to? :tongue:

If someone thought none of these things were okay, I'd worry for their mental well being if they ever lived in halls!

& the poll tells how many voters there have been so you can sort of work it out.
The way I see it is that if you're living in halls with hundreds of other students, partying/loud music/noise is to be expected. There were times this year when people were making noise from midnight onwards and I just let them get on with it. If it's the weekend it doesn't really bother me.

I ticked that it's okay to play loud music during the day because that's probably something I'm guilty of. However, my music's never ridiculously loud, I wouldn't do it if I thought people were sleeping and my uni had a quiet period during third term where you weren't supposed to make any noise.

I didn't tick the last one but I don't really have a problem if what's taken is going to be replaced, it would be useful if the person let you know beforehand though :tongue:
Reply 69
Haha Oh this is brilliant!

I hated it when people took my food - even if they replaced it.

However, I would have no problem if someone had asked and said they would replace it. Most of the time, if they asked, I wouldn't even let them replace it! I'd just say, don't be daft, have it! Plus I used to make cakes, so bribery is always good - eat my food without permission? no cakes for you!

To me it was disrespectful to take something, even if you intended replacing it - if you did that in your job, it's theft and immediate dismissal - I am an amiable person, I am happy to help if people just ask!

The noise thing - you kind of expect in on a Friday and Saturday night - Sunday night is again unfair, as some people may have 9am lectures. Just having a bit of respect by coming back to halls quietly - you expect quiet sniggers in the hallway on student nights!

Also DON'T MAKE TOAST AFTER DRINKING! I swear to God the amount of times I wanted to beat people with a toaster after setting all the fire alarms off at 3 am! GRR!!!! In fact, don't make anything... just buy something on your way home! :smile:

It's about being aware of other people - think of exam time when half the freshers have completed their exams and are partying all night and you have your final exam the next morning.... that's when they get their revenge!!

Yes, it's all a bit of common sense... if that doesn't work, imagine your parents are living there... I know they aren't ... part of the fun I know...but would they appreciate hearing you belting out "500miles" by the Proclaimers at 2am when they had to work the next day? probably not...
Reply 70
Original post by AlphaDog0127
I'm not a big party person, but I am the type of person that has to have background noise the entire time I'm awake... and I don't sleep much, usually I'll go to bed around 3-4am but have music on because silence drives me crazy and I don't like having to listen to irritating things like clocks o_O I'm hoping we have pretty thick walls at my accom. lol, I did buy 50 pairs of earplugs about a year ago so might give out a pair to everyone in my flat :giggle:

My Uni has times set for noise level though, whether people actually stick with that I'm not sure... we're meant to keep noise to a "reasonable level at all times and, in particular at a low level between the hours of 11pm and 8am on weekdays and 12 midnight and 8am at weekends".

OR you could wear headphones?

I know what you mean, I need to have 'white noise' so I have 3 clocks all ticking at different points - drives everyone else crazy who comes in my room! - but I have music on loud enough for me to hear, but not loud enough to be heard through the walls - I checked with my neighbours....

Also, there is nothing worse than someone singing along out of tune - I've got perfect pitch and it literally makes me nauseous - I can't stomach x factor or any singing show... karaoke is painful too!

We all have our own weird little quirks - the whole point of halls is getting used to compromise, as for most people it's the first time living away from home, so the concept is alien....
Original post by EL704
OR you could wear headphones?

Usually if I have my headphones in I listen to the music instead of just having it as background noise or I have my earphones in but the music really loud so it drowns everything else out but too loud to really focus on lol it's loud enough that if you are in the same room you can hear it, but maybe they wont through walls :crossedf:
I think all of these vary based on how loud the music is. Mediumly loud music during the day is fine but when it's so loud i can't reevise quietly on the other side of the house it's too loud. And Same for the up to 11pm thing. I'd say no loudness after that time is acceptable.

My old housemates disagreed but they also ended up woken up at like 7am when i woke up a lot so it worked out evenly.

Also, with the food thing if it's like 2 slices of bread and you have a whole loaf and they're shopping later that day to replace it then it's fine. But when people take all of something then they're an *******. Had a fair few things taken in halls but with a building of 120 people who could walk into our kitchen it was impossible to ever trace it.
Reply 73
Original post by Tom_green_day
I think it's OK because I honestly couldn't care about other people's listening habits. It doesn't affect me- music doesn't ruin sleep as much as some people claim, and most people who listen to this loud music sleep too, so aren't listening to it 24/7. If they did, that would be an extremely impressive feat.

But if you're in halls, you live with so many other people, who will have different sleeping habits, that even if you stop your music from 3am-10am to sleep, someone else might start theirs at 2am and go on until 1pm when they decide to go to bed.
And I'm not sure how you can say "it doesn't affect me" and then claim that it "doesn't ruin sleep as much as some people claim". If you can provide scientific studies or whatever, fair enough, but by saying it doesn't affect you and recognising that other people make a complaint, do you not realise that it affects some people more strongly?
It depends on the volume and type of music as well, the sort of music you're likely to hear at 2am is club music with thumping bass, which is the worst sort of music for trying to sleep to.Clearly it does affect sleep, or people wouldn't complain.
Also, just because someone's sleep pattern happens to be 10pm-6am, why should they suffer when yours is 2am-10am, and therefore your music is playing for 4 hours of their "sleep" time?

Original post by snailsareslimy
Some of these responses are a bit... OTT. No noise after 10pm? :lolwut:, 10 is so early! Like fair enough if it was 12/1am, but 10? Come on...
What even counts as noise? People chatting in the kitchen? :lol:

From the poll, I meant loud "party" noise or music - shouting, whooping, drunk singing etc. You know how even "conversations" rise to a ridiculous volume after a couple of hours of drinking? Not just having a sober chat with your mate over a cup of hot chocolate or whatever.
Also if you consider that you're "supposed" to get 6-8 hours of sleep per night, and classes tend to start at 9am, which for most people will mean getting up at about 7am (yeah, you can get up at 8.50 if you live on campus and rock up to lectures but most people don't like to make a habit of that and would rather shower and eat first) then surely 11pm is reasonable midweek to allow people to get 8 hours sleep and get up at 7?
I think most people commenting have also said they'd be happy with it later on occassion, if that occassion isn't right before an exam/deadline, but as a general rule, there should be quiet from whatever time they stated. Why is 10pm (or, for the sake of the adequate sleep argument 11pm) such a bad thing to have as a general rule? If it's 12 or 1am or whatever "normally", that means the exceptional noise will be permitted later, and it means you could theoretically have a party every single night til that time.

Original post by Scott1541
This year I was generally fine with noise any day up until about 1-2am. Parties were usually in the flat across the hall and I was a fair distance away from the door so noise didn't bother me that much. I know my flatmate who's room was right next to the door got annoyed quite a few times when the other flat left their door open while having a party, which was twice per week on average. A few times he got so pissed off that he went across there and closed their door for them :tongue:

Proximity to the nosie makes a huge difference, yeah. I would hate to have a bedroom next to the "common room" or kitchen or whatever, and I think that in allocating rooms in halls maybe the people responsible should try to prioritise "quiet" people and put them away from the hub? If you're involved in most of the parties, you won't care that they're next to your room, but if you're the person who rarely gets involved, it must really suck to be subjected to other people's noise all the time!

Original post by Magdatrix >_<
So what, people who don't want to put up with constant noise 24/7 should go out of their way to make an alternative??

This is exactly the attitude that annoys me - the expectation that we (if you're a grumpy git like me) should go out of our way to accomodate noisy people. From what I've seen, we're willing to make compromises, and we don't do stuff that annoys the noisy people who we live with, but they expect us to just put up with their noise whenever they want to make it.
The most I did in halls that annoyed other people was spend a lot of time in the kitchen just sitting around - and I'd chat to people if they were there, and not moan if I was studying there and they made noise, I'd happily leave or join in instead - or leaving washing up for a few hours. I never caused noise on my own, or with one or two other flatmates, only when the entire group were involved. If I'd had really noisy flatmates, I wouldn't have had parties that might disrupt them, only they ones that disrupted me, and I don't think that's acceptable.

I just want to remind people in this thread that I'm trying to provoke debate and discussion, not start a personal argument! I know I'm pretty touchy about noise, and I wouldn't hold other people to my standards, but I'm amazed by how much further than my "compromise" limits some people would expect me to go if they lived with me!
Reply 74
Usually if I have my headphones in I listen to the music instead of just having it as background noise or I have my earphones in but the music really loud so it drowns everything else out but too loud to really focus on lol it's loud enough that if you are in the same room you can hear it, but maybe they wont through walls :crossedf:

I promise, most people don't get to arsey if you poke your head round and say, let me know if my music is too loud, I don't want to disturb you, but I need it on to concentrate better!

Again... food bribery, cakes.... pizza... beer... all works wonders on even the arse-iest of neighbours!
Reply 75
Oh the joys of owning my own apartment :teehee:
Going by my boyfriend's experience, the second and third options. I'm fine with noise (although I've applied for quiet accommodation at Warwick) and I'm very sociable, but I also cannot function without sleep :smile:
Reply 77
Original post by Katie_p
But if you're in halls, you live with so many other people, who will have different sleeping habits, that even if you stop your music from 3am-10am to sleep, someone else might start theirs at 2am and go on until 1pm when they decide to go to bed.
And I'm not sure how you can say "it doesn't affect me" and then claim that it "doesn't ruin sleep as much as some people claim". If you can provide scientific studies or whatever, fair enough, but by saying it doesn't affect you and recognising that other people make a complaint, do you not realise that it affects some people more strongly?
It depends on the volume and type of music as well, the sort of music you're likely to hear at 2am is club music with thumping bass, which is the worst sort of music for trying to sleep to.Clearly it does affect sleep, or people wouldn't complain.
Also, just because someone's sleep pattern happens to be 10pm-6am, why should they suffer when yours is 2am-10am, and therefore your music is playing for 4 hours of their "sleep" time?

From the poll, I meant loud "party" noise or music - shouting, whooping, drunk singing etc. You know how even "conversations" rise to a ridiculous volume after a couple of hours of drinking? Not just having a sober chat with your mate over a cup of hot chocolate or whatever.
Also if you consider that you're "supposed" to get 6-8 hours of sleep per night, and classes tend to start at 9am, which for most people will mean getting up at about 7am (yeah, you can get up at 8.50 if you live on campus and rock up to lectures but most people don't like to make a habit of that and would rather shower and eat first) then surely 11pm is reasonable midweek to allow people to get 8 hours sleep and get up at 7?
I think most people commenting have also said they'd be happy with it later on occassion, if that occassion isn't right before an exam/deadline, but as a general rule, there should be quiet from whatever time they stated. Why is 10pm (or, for the sake of the adequate sleep argument 11pm) such a bad thing to have as a general rule? If it's 12 or 1am or whatever "normally", that means the exceptional noise will be permitted later, and it means you could theoretically have a party every single night til that time.

Proximity to the nosie makes a huge difference, yeah. I would hate to have a bedroom next to the "common room" or kitchen or whatever, and I think that in allocating rooms in halls maybe the people responsible should try to prioritise "quiet" people and put them away from the hub? If you're involved in most of the parties, you won't care that they're next to your room, but if you're the person who rarely gets involved, it must really suck to be subjected to other people's noise all the time!

This is exactly the attitude that annoys me - the expectation that we (if you're a grumpy git like me) should go out of our way to accomodate noisy people. From what I've seen, we're willing to make compromises, and we don't do stuff that annoys the noisy people who we live with, but they expect us to just put up with their noise whenever they want to make it.
The most I did in halls that annoyed other people was spend a lot of time in the kitchen just sitting around - and I'd chat to people if they were there, and not moan if I was studying there and they made noise, I'd happily leave or join in instead - or leaving washing up for a few hours. I never caused noise on my own, or with one or two other flatmates, only when the entire group were involved. If I'd had really noisy flatmates, I wouldn't have had parties that might disrupt them, only they ones that disrupted me, and I don't think that's acceptable.

I just want to remind people in this thread that I'm trying to provoke debate and discussion, not start a personal argument! I know I'm pretty touchy about noise, and I wouldn't hold other people to my standards, but I'm amazed by how much further than my "compromise" limits some people would expect me to go if they lived with me!

I know how you feel about noise though! I was working an 8 hour teaching job 5 days and then a 4 hour evening job in a shop 6 days a week - and I needed to do that to pay my rent and still eat! - I chose a building that was no students then suddenly a student moved into the bedsit below my bedroom... so 2am he'd rock home, with all his mates (I'd have had 3 hrs sleep before I was woken up) they'd have crappy drum and bass literally vibrating underneath my bedroom until 6am, I had to get up at 7 to do my 14-16 hr days...

One day I slept late, after 4 nights of no sleep, my boss came to check on me as I just hadn't shown up for work and went down to the flat, yelled at the poor kid and then he behaved until I moved!!!

She was going, "You do realise that you could have cost her her job, her livelihood - her entire career? by being so disrespectful! GROW UP! If you do it again, I'll have the police on you!"

Worked lol... I don't mind one or two nights.... but consecutive nights with no hint of respect - not on.
Reply 78
Original post by Shefflibs
The worst bit about halls is the paper thin walls and hearing everyone have sex and knowing they can hear you as well. As for partying it depends, we found if everyone communicated then it was never an issue, ie) respectful if someone said they wanted an early night for example. Excessively loud music is never necessary during the day as there are headphones if people want to listen loud, and who needs it that loud in their room! Partying until about 11 is ok, if its later as having a halls party and not just pre drinks then if everyone is agreed ok- security will come and shut it down anyway probably :tongue:

Oh yes, if you want to party late and give me a day's notice (and would cancel/cut it short if I had an exam or early work shift) then that's fair enough, probably for me personally up to once a fortnight.
I never got security involved in halls - tbh rarely had enough noise to need to - and there's nothing like that here in Germany that I'm aware of (except the police!) but I always got the impression that if you were "that guy" who shut down the party, you'd be ostracised and that would put me off the first couple of times if it had happened in my first year.

Original post by Magdatrix >_<
This I agree with - even when I was in a really bad mood I could tolerate loud music and chatting but it was hardly ever just that! I remember once when I was ill and trying to just watch tv in my bed/get to sleep early some guys (friends with one of my flatmates) started bashing on my bedroom door and shouting- even after I went and told them I felt ill and wasn't coming out they kept banging on all the other doors, came back to mine later and started yelling to my flatmate about how inconsiderate I was and that I should be out there being their host because I lived there >_<

I know people will always want to have parties and make noise but you just have to be considerate - if your flatmate has an 8am exam, don't keep them awake until 3am with music and shouting and arguing and then wake them with the fire alarm an hour later...!

Yeah, if you're considerate, it's mor tolerable - you know there's going to be a party and you know you can ask your mates to go elsewhere if you need to study for an exam.
The dickishness of drunk people is so frustrating. I don't deal that well with loud music anyway, but if someone banged on my door, I would be so tempted to open it and bang on their head. Expecting you to host them is absolutely ridiculous, and I would have had an outburst that made them view me as "the weird loner" or something like that, because it's just such a ridiculous attitude.

Original post by spleenharvester

Think someone already replied, but unless you're not okay with any of them, it counts your vote at the bottom, so you can see what percentage of voters think each is OK.

Quiet music whilst you sleep is fair enough, if I heard it every night through the wall I'd just ask you to make it a bit quieter, but if it's "sleeping" music, I doub't it's going to be that loud or disruptive!
I think Uni curfews are a great idea, if they're reasonable (later noise at weekends, not too strictly enforced at the start of term and very strictly enforced during exams etc).

Original post by A_Howells
In my flat it was free for all. Someone kept stealing all our food, tens of pounds stolen until it got to the stage where I gave up buying food. I accepted the partying past 11 as sometimes I was involved. We had an agreement to do it on weekends and some weekdays (not all) and to not play any music past 10 during exam periods.

safe to say no one followed that agreement

Oh that sounds horrible! I just don't understand how people can be like that! Yeah, I got involved in parties and late-night revelry occasionally, but I can only remember about two occassions in my first year where I was making loud noise in the accommodation beyond 12. I think anyone who gets involved occassionally should tolerate as many occassions as they are invovled in where they're not personally involved before they get annoyed before they complain, if that makes sense. (you party once a week, should probably accept similar level of noise one other day per week, but quite alright to complain if it's four times a week or more!)

Original post by Joshale
ticked all but last one, possibly playing music LOUD all day would be wrong too

last one I would usually say yes, but for those others who eat specific foods and they took the last one of yours, well that's just going to cause problem

Yeah, when I said the loud music one I meant loud enough for other people to hear over their own conversations/music or whatever else.

Original post by cole-slaw
All is acceptable and more. Its a student halls of residence, not an old people's home.

If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

And where would you propose students live in their first year? In a house with strangers who may be just as noisy? I also don't think wanting some quiet hours makes one an OAP.
Not sure if you're just wording yourself strongly to make a point, but where do you think the limit of what is acceptable lies? To what time should parties be allowed to continue, and how often?

Original post by bumblebee342
The way I see it is that if you're living in halls with hundreds of other students, partying/loud music/noise is to be expected. There were times this year when people were making noise from midnight onwards and I just let them get on with it. If it's the weekend it doesn't really bother me.

I ticked that it's okay to play loud music during the day because that's probably something I'm guilty of. However, my music's never ridiculously loud, I wouldn't do it if I thought people were sleeping and my uni had a quiet period during third term where you weren't supposed to make any noise.

I didn't tick the last one but I don't really have a problem if what's taken is going to be replaced, it would be useful if the person let you know beforehand though :tongue:

It's definitely to be expected, and I think most quiet people know that and therefore tolerate more than they'd like to, but where does it go from being "expected" to "taking the biscuit"?
Would you turn your music down if someone asked you to, even if they had no exams coming up? And would you remember in future they'd been disturbed and keep it a slightly lower volume to avoid disturbing them again, or whack it back up to your usual level and wait for a new complaint?

Original post by Motorbiker
I think all of these vary based on how loud the music is. Mediumly loud music during the day is fine but when it's so loud i can't reevise quietly on the other side of the house it's too loud. And Same for the up to 11pm thing. I'd say no loudness after that time is acceptable.

My old housemates disagreed but they also ended up woken up at like 7am when i woke up a lot so it worked out evenly.

Also, with the food thing if it's like 2 slices of bread and you have a whole loaf and they're shopping later that day to replace it then it's fine. But when people take all of something then they're an *******. Had a fair few things taken in halls but with a building of 120 people who could walk into our kitchen it was impossible to ever trace it.

Yeah, my personal limit for noise in the day is whether it cuts through my own music through headphones, if it's cool enough to do so, also through a shut window. I can tolerate almost any level of noise between 7 and 10 (or the University-mandated cut-off point) because that's when you expect parties to happen, but loud party music starting at 4pm (or 10am as I've experienced a lot this year!) is just not OK.
I think people who complain about being woken up when you get up is silly, unless you go out of your way to make noise for payback - I had a housemate who complained when I went for showers at about 7am in second year, and I don't see how you can shower quietly? I wasn't going to go into University dirty, and seeing as we usually started at the same time, I couldn't wait til she was up, because we'd both want to use the shower at the same time! Using "but you wake me up at 7am" as an argument for being allowed to party beyond midnight regularly is so childish in my opinion, if it were 6am or earlier, fair enough, but 7am is a perfectly reasonable time to get up.
Original post by Katie_p
Quiet music whilst you sleep is fair enough, if I heard it every night through the wall I'd just ask you to make it a bit quieter, but if it's "sleeping" music, I doub't it's going to be that loud or disruptive!
I think Uni curfews are a great idea, if they're reasonable (later noise at weekends, not too strictly enforced at the start of term and very strictly enforced during exams etc).

By sleeping music I hope you just mean lower volume... if you mean whale sounds I might be in trouble since I usually listen to Disturbed to help me sleep :headbang:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending