The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Budget at Leeds

Hey guys,

So I'm coming to Leeds in september and I was wondering how much money you need per month if you're self-catered
Original post by grosseban
Hey guys,

So I'm coming to Leeds in september and I was wondering how much money you need per month if you're self-catered

I spend around £170 per month
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by leedswest

Is that just on food?
Is that just on food?

All on essentials and the occasional treat
Is that just on food?

Original post by leedswest

I spend around £150. Leeds is quite cheap, to be honest.
Reply 5
Any cheap n nice market that you guys can recommend for getting groceries ?
Original post by tianqi
Any cheap n nice market that you guys can recommend for getting groceries ?

The main Leeds market is the cheapest place to get food, and then most bargain shops for toiletries.
Reply 7
Original post by Argentinababy
I spend around £150. Leeds is quite cheap, to be honest.

That's impressive!
And how much do you spend per month on the nightlife?
That's impressive!
And how much do you spend per month on the nightlife?

Not very much, either. I don't like partying much, but when I do I usually make sure I go along with society events, because then you can get really good discounts.
I'm self catered and I aim to spend £30 a week. Then perhaps one or two little shops so make it £35
Reply 10
I'm an international student coming to leeds this September. As I read above, can i conclude that i only need around 200 GBP per month for living costs aside of accommodation and bills??!!
Note that I'm in a self-catered residence. I'd like to know about costs of food in case I won't be cooking all my meals. I'm thinking of buying my food. Will that be expensive??!
Original post by Sheedo
I'm an international student coming to leeds this September. As I read above, can i conclude that i only need around 200 GBP per month for living costs aside of accommodation and bills??!!
Note that I'm in a self-catered residence. I'd like to know about costs of food in case I won't be cooking all my meals. I'm thinking of buying my food. Will that be expensive??!

It really depends on a few things. To start out with the food costs, £50 is probably fine assuming your not eat caviar every night. In terms of meals out costs, you can get a full meal in one of the student union bars starting from £5 but obviously there are more expensive options. There is also the refectory which is where those in catered accommodation get there meals however I don't know the exact prices, I believe it's about £4 a meal, but obviously of lower quality as it is more mass produced. There are plenty of places within a short walking distance of campus to buy your lunch, many places offer a meal deal where you can get a sandwich, bag of crisps and a drink for around £3. I personally always buy my lunch on campus and usually go for the £3 meal deal, with a meal in the student union as an occasional treat. There are plenty of restaurants in the city centre with varying prices, plenty of these places offer student discount.

In terms of other costs you also need to consider how much money, if any you will spend on nights out, it's difficult to spend less than £20 on a night out in Leeds, this is especially true during freshers week where your gonna want to be getting out with your new flatmates, some of the richer people I know spent around £750 in freshers.

Also there will be some initial start up costs e.g. text books, lab books, whatever else your course requires you to buy.
Reply 12
Original post by the_red_sloth
It really depends on a few things. To start out with the food costs, £50 is probably fine assuming your not eat caviar every night. In terms of meals out costs, you can get a full meal in one of the student union bars starting from £5 but obviously there are more expensive options. There is also the refectory which is where those in catered accommodation get there meals however I don't know the exact prices, I believe it's about £4 a meal, but obviously of lower quality as it is more mass produced. There are plenty of places within a short walking distance of campus to buy your lunch, many places offer a meal deal where you can get a sandwich, bag of crisps and a drink for around £3. I personally always buy my lunch on campus and usually go for the £3 meal deal, with a meal in the student union as an occasional treat. There are plenty of restaurants in the city centre with varying prices, plenty of these places offer student discount.

In terms of other costs you also need to consider how much money, if any you will spend on nights out, it's difficult to spend less than £20 on a night out in Leeds, this is especially true during freshers week where your gonna want to be getting out with your new flatmates, some of the richer people I know spent around £750 in freshers.

Also there will be some initial start up costs e.g. text books, lab books, whatever else your course requires you to buy.

thank you :smile:

I need more information from previous international students.

Quick Reply

Latest