SHAZAAIN MANSOR
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
what book is the best for a level biology? not a revision guide. thank you !
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SHAZAAIN MANSOR)
what book is the best for a level biology? not a revision guide. thank you !
Just moving this to the biology section for you

Posted from TSR Mobile
liampspencer
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Think it really depends on your exam board. I was edexel and found it was good to have a textbook and a revision guide because they complimented each other well. As well as that past papers and mark schemes often give you further knowledge. So to answer your question, find out your exam board then find out the textbook for that exam board (I.e ask your biology teacher). But also try not to confine your learning to one book because I found even the main textbook didn't have it all.

Sorry for the long answer, I hope it is of use!
ilovesaku0613
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by liampspencer)
Think it really depends on your exam board. I was edexel and found it was good to have a textbook and a revision guide because they complimented each other well. As well as that past papers and mark schemes often give you further knowledge. So to answer your question, find out your exam board then find out the textbook for that exam board (I.e ask your biology teacher). But also try not to confine your learning to one book because I found even the main textbook didn't have it all.

Sorry for the long answer, I hope it is of use!
May I ask which revision guide did you use for your Edexcel Biology?

Posted from TSR Mobile
hairclip
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I did OCR biology and found the textbook for the exam pretty good though it did gloss over the odd section so you couldn't rely on it 100% if you wanted to potentially get 100%. A good reference book for more detail which I used (as the biology geek that i am :P ) was Advanced Biology by Jones and Jones. My school recommended it and it is really good
liampspencer
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ilovesaku0613)
May I ask which revision guide did you use for your Edexcel Biology?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Main Textbook:

The main text book at As was "Salters-Nuffield Advanced Biology for Edexel AS Biology" its orange and its ISBN is 978 1 4058 9607 8. But there is a separate A2 main textbook with the ISBN 978 1 4082 0591 4.

Revision guide:

The revision guide I used was the CGP one. It complimented the main textbook well. Again there are two separate revision guides, one for AS and the other for A2.

AS ISBN: 9781847621207

A2 ISBN: 9781841463964

There is another revision guide for Edexel SNAB. (I never used this revision guide though because I didn't want too many books to take notes from). Again there are two separate ones, one for AS and the other for A2.

AS ISBN: 978-1846905988
A2 ISBN:
978-1846905995

Hope this helped!

After learning the content from the books I always found nothing compared to past papers though, they are the best in my opinion!

Have fun with the biology course (I found it had great content and is very enjoyable!)
ilovesaku0613
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by liampspencer)
Main Textbook:

The main text book at As was "Salters-Nuffield Advanced Biology for Edexel AS Biology" its orange and its ISBN is 978 1 4058 9607 8. But there is a separate A2 main textbook with the ISBN 978 1 4082 0591 4.

Revision guide:

The revision guide I used was the CGP one. It complimented the main textbook well. Again there are two separate revision guides, one for AS and the other for A2.

AS ISBN: 9781847621207

A2 ISBN: 9781841463964

There is another revision guide for Edexel SNAB. (I never used this revision guide though because I didn't want too many books to take notes from). Again there are two separate ones, one for AS and the other for A2.

AS ISBN: 978-1846905988
A2 ISBN:
978-1846905995

Hope this helped!

After learning the content from the books I always found nothing compared to past papers though, they are the best in my opinion!

Have fun with the biology course (I found it had great content and is very enjoyable!)
Thanks for your detailed information!

I am also planning to buy CGP revision guides. Their style of turning lots of contents into simple and easy-to-read notes is really enjoyable to read.

Though sometimes I feel frustrated when studying Biology as there are too many stuff to memorise, I can know more about the structure of humans/animals and the surroundings!

Once again thanks for your help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.91%
I'm not sure (32)
4.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.33%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.34%
I'm not a current university student (326)
47.73%

Watched Threads