The Student Room Group

Do pregnant women have the right to smoke / drink?

On the way home from work today I saw a pregnant woman smoking, which, frankly, disgusted me. So I'm now curious whether others agree with me or whether there are some who think pregnant women should be allowed to smoke and drink.

If any feminist calls me a misogynist, I will not be a happy bunny. :unimpressed:

Scroll to see replies

They have the right to do whatever they want, at the end of the day but hopefully also being fully aware that they are putting the health of the baby at serious risk.
Yes. Women have the right to do absolutely anything they want, and as a modern man I couldn't agree with this more. Although the child may biologically be 50% mine, it is in her body. This means she has the full right to rob me of my right to be a father, has the right to force me to be a father and support a child for 18 years, keep the child and smoke and drink with it in her body, meaning that the child I didn't want to have in the first place has an increased risk of severe disabilities or illnesses.

We men have it too good you know. I don't know the specifics of why we have it too good... I just know that we do.
Reply 3
They shouldn't. They're endangering another person's life.

Nobody has the right to do that.
Yes. To ban them from doing so would make them second-class citizens; unable to do something that every other citizen of the same age is allowed to do. We should provide women with education and support during their pregnancy but criminalising it will achieve nothing.
They have the right to do whatever they want with their own body. They're completely wrong to smoke and drink dangerous amounts while pregnant, but they have the right to.
Well if they have the right to do that... That kind of implies that they have the right to harm their unborn child/children. That is not justifiable. :/

Original post by TheBBQ
They shouldn't. They're endangering another person's life.

Nobody has the right to do that.

I agree :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Huskaris
Yes. Women have the right to do absolutely anything they want, and as a modern man I couldn't agree with this more. Although the child may biologically be 50% mine, it is in her body. This means she has the full right to rob me of my right to be a father, has the right to force me to be a father and support a child for 18 years, keep the child and smoke and drink with it in her body, meaning that the child I didn't want to have in the first place has an increased risk of severe disabilities or illnesses.

We men have it too good you know. I don't know the specifics of why we have it too good... I just know that we do.

Sociopath?
They have the right but I would hope the wouldn't so stupid as to potentially harm their child
I don't think so, because of that the child could be deformed or have disabilities for the rest of its life. Just so the mother can exercise her right to do legal drugs?
Original post by kimolozen
Sociopath?

He's not serious.
Original post by brownsugar-xx
He's not serious.

OK, so he's a man and cannot speak for himself...got it...
Reply 12
Do they have the right? Yes. Should they? No. No they shouldn't.
Original post by R+G are dead
I think it's irresponsible but wouldn't criminalise it-that would just lead to way more problems and wouldn't stop it happening (like prostitution being illegal). Also if we were to criminalise smoking for pregnant women, you'd also have to criminalise smoking in the household the pregnant woman/baby lives in (passive smoking)-how could that be effectively enforced?

I'm more of a feminist than not, but don't understand how wanting to criminalise pregnant women smoking would make you a misogynist? :erm: People wouldn't say that because they're feminists, (well they would if they're radical feminists).

Yeah it wouldn't be enforced well. But isn't smoking/drinking much much more dangerous while they're in the womb?

I also agree with your last point, i don't see how it would be misogynistic :dontknow:
People should have the right to make people disabled and ill.
not to a pre-born they have responsibility over
I think they should have the right - it's the same as people are allowed to smoke on true streets, it's harming themselves and the people around them via passive smoking ie a stupid decision. So we should make sure women are educated but shouldn't criminalise.
Original post by R+G are dead
I'm saying it's not misogynistic! :smile: I was trying to say it's not misogynistic to the person who started the thread, who suspected that some people would view his post as misogynistic. I'm not sure if this makes much sense either :s-smilie:. Basically I'm not very good at getting my point across in understandable English on TSR :tongue:.

You misunderstand me, i said i agree with your point that it's not misogynistic :laugh: your point was perfectly clear.
I think it's awful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have seen my sister-in-law smoking whilst breastfeeding, nearly dropping ash on her baby. That seemed just as wrong. However, I wouldn't ban it as it sets a precedent about personal rights and it would be hard to know where to stop - what if you don't know you're pregnant? passive smoking in the home? what about drinking alcohol? what about legal drugs (including prescription drugs) whilst pregnant? Should folic acids supplements be compulsory during pregnancy etc etc etc? should attending pre-natal check ups be compulsory?

In particular, having babies when you are older increases the risk of defects, should having children over 40 be banned?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending