Want more information about this university?
Anniechong
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi I'm coming to the UK for the first time and don't exactly know how I can get to University of Kent from the Airport. What's the cheapest way to do so? I've done some research online and my conclusion is that the cheapest way is to travel to Victoria Coach Station from the Airport by Tube, and then take the National Express coach to the university. Anyone think of even cheaper ways?
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sounds like you've already got the best way sorted out!

Have you tried booking the coach journey from heathrow- Canterbury direct, save you having to cross London?
Old_Simon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you go from Heathrow by coach you will be at the coach station. No need to schlep from the underground station to the coach.
The Legal Eagle
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you intend to stay some time, and use the rail a fair bit, why not get a railcard? It may be initially quite expensive, but if you use it often enough, it'll soon pay itself off!

1 tip, if you're booking a train, and you need to get a connecting tube to your (final) destination, book to the final destination stop - you then get travel on the tube, without paying the exorbitant fee of a day pass!
Anniechong
Rep:
?
I checked it out and it costs around £20. I'm thinking if I can save more by getting to Kent from somewhere else.
Anniechong
Rep:
?
(Original post by ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈)
Sounds like you've already got the best way sorted out!

Have you tried booking the coach journey from heathrow- Canterbury direct, save you having to cross London?

I checked it out and it costs around £20. I'm thinking if I can save more by getting to Kent from somewhere else.
Anniechong
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mattvr)
If you intend to stay some time, and use the rail a fair bit, why not get a railcard? It may be initially quite expensive, but if you use it often enough, it'll soon pay itself off!

1 tip, if you're booking a train, and you need to get a connecting tube to your (final) destination, book to the final destination stop - you then get travel on the tube, without paying the exorbitant fee of a day pass!
what is a railcard? Can I use it for any train trips in the UK? I'm staying in Kent for the whole year.
I don't have any preference for any kinds of transport except the cheapest way, so I'm open to any suggestions as long as they are cheap enough!
The Legal Eagle
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Anniechong)
what is a railcard? Can I use it for any train trips in the UK? I'm staying in Kent for the whole year.
I don't have any preference for any kinds of transport except the cheapest way, so I'm open to any suggestions as long as they are cheap enough!
Basically, if you fall into certain categories (mostly age, but there are others), you can pay to get a railcard, which gives you discounted travel across the whole rail network. I've recently bought a yearly 16-25 railcard - costs £30, but it gives me 30% off rail travel. You can get a 3 year railcard, but they are only online (1 year can be bought online or from any rail ticket sales office). All you need is a passport sized photo and photographic id (e.g. a passport/drivers license).
Yep, you can use it on any rail journey in the UK, but you've got to have your card with you every time you travel on a railcard-discounted ticket.

It's quite expensive initially, but if you are intending to travel by train a lot, or think you may, it'll be worth it! I bought mine mid June, and I've already saved £55, and I travel the rails pretty seldom!

Here's a link to the railcard website, and you can then choose which one you can/would like to get, if you intend to use the rails a bit: http://www.railcard.co.uk/

And a link to getting a coach card, if it is more suitable to travel by coach: http://www.nationalexpress.com/waystosave/index.aspx
Anniechong
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mattvr)
Basically, if you fall into certain categories (mostly age, but there are others), you can pay to get a railcard, which gives you discounted travel across the whole rail network. I've recently bought a yearly 16-25 railcard - costs £30, but it gives me 30% off rail travel. You can get a 3 year railcard, but they are only online (1 year can be bought online or from any rail ticket sales office). All you need is a passport sized photo and photographic id (e.g. a passport/drivers license). Yep, you can use it on any rail journey in the UK, but you've got to have your card with you every time you travel on a railcard-discounted ticket.It's quite expensive initially, but if you are intending to travel by train a lot, or think you may, it'll be worth it! I bought mine mid June, and I've already saved £55, and I travel the rails pretty seldom!Here's a link to the railcard website, and you can then choose which one you can/would like to get, if you intend to use the rails a bit: http://www.railcard.co.uk/And a link to getting a coach card, if it is more suitable to travel by coach: http://www.nationalexpress.com/waystosave/index.aspx
Thanks for the very useful info! I'd would absolutely no idea about all of these if you hadn't told me! I think I'll do a lot of sightseeing during my stay in the UK so I need to get a railcard.
The Legal Eagle
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks for the very useful info! I'd would absolutely no idea about all of these if you hadn't told me! I think I'll do a lot of sightseeing during my stay in the UK so I need to get a railcard.
No problem, at all! Enjoy your stay!

Posted from TSR Mobile
anamis23
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Uni of kent has it's pick up service from the airports of Gatwick and Heathrow. You can look it up on the kent shop website
University of Kent
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Dear Annie,

Please have a look on our website here: http://www.kent.ac.uk/gettingstarted...irports/coach/

Our international team has bookable coach transfers from the airports to our campuses, and will even meet and greet you at the airport. The cost is £40 to our Canterbury Campus directly from the airport.

Kind regards,

Aaron

Recruitment & Marketing

Hi I'm coming to the UK for the first time and don't exactly know how I can get to University of Kent from the Airport. What's the cheapest way to do so? I've done some research online and my conclusion is that the cheapest way is to travel to Victoria Coach Station from the Airport by Tube, and then take the National Express coach to the university. Anyone think of even cheaper ways?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (398)
56.29%
I don't have everything I need (309)
43.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise