The Student Room Group

Should I get rid of my instructor

Advice needed. I've been learning to drive on and off for over 2 years. My general driving is pretty competent. I just need someone to do some mock drives, check my maneuvers, duals and roundabouts etc then take their car to test. Last couple of months I rang up an instructor and laid it on the line with him where I was at, how long I'd been driving and that I needed some test prep and then to sit the test obviously. He said OK and let's go for an assessment drive, which I went on and it was fine.

The problem is, he seems only to be able to do 1 hour a week. Then he was also on holiday 1 week which meant he couldn't do a lesson. I mentioned a few weeks ago to him about going for test and his reply was "Oh, um, well you can't really rush it". He then told me we could put in for the test about 4 weeks ago and then didn't mention it again. I cancelled the last planned lesson about 2 weeks ago, it also turns out that he's been off ill so wouldn't have been able to do lessons anyway. The last lesson I had with him, when he was booking me in, I'd seen his diary and it was full of empty slots, when I asked him if he could put me in again a couple of times he said that he's got all these other people to get in. Why should I have to suffer a delay because he has too many pupils.

He also seems to want to be in total control of when the test will be sat, which is totally unacceptable to me. I could understand if he couldn't do a day because he was pre-booked, that isn't a problem. If he thinks I'm not ready, then get me in with a few more lessons. I have a car ready to drive now too, which is even more frustrating. It's impacting on my job opportunities too, as I'm having to work locally part time as it's most practical for me to get to without a licence.

I've sent him a text today detailing my concerns. Should I ditch him? The thing is, it isn't about the money, I don't mind if I have to pay for another 10 hours of lessons, but it's like he would want to drag them out over 3 months instead of the 1 month which I have in mind.
He does seem to be a bit awkward or difficult, but I suppose it can't hurt to look around and even inquire with other instructors informing them of your situation. Despite what people say, I don't think the test is that hard, it's 40 minutes and that's it. Just keep focussed for 40 minutes, don't take any risks and it's a solid pass. If I was you, I probably would look at other instructors, maybe look online for some reviews too. I've heard a few cheeky instructors drag pupils out longer than required to squeeze more money out of them.
Reply 2
Original post by TornadoGR4
He does seem to be a bit awkward or difficult, but I suppose it can't hurt to look around and even inquire with other instructors informing them of your situation. Despite what people say, I don't think the test is that hard, it's 40 minutes and that's it. Just keep focussed for 40 minutes, don't take any risks and it's a solid pass. If I was you, I probably would look at other instructors, maybe look online for some reviews too. I've heard a few cheeky instructors drag pupils out longer than required to squeeze more money out of them.

Cheers, that's what I'm doing now. I've sent him a message telling him I can't hang around for months and months, if he can't do the test soon then I need to find someone else.

What's also annoying is that sometimes I pay for the next lesson in advance and he can forget I've paid at the end of the next lesson, making you feel like you're shirking paying.
(edited 9 years ago)
Just get a new one. I've learnt now that there's no point hanging on to rubbish instructors just out of politeness. At the end of the day, you want to drive. Don't let him slow you down.

Also... Out of interest... How did you manage so many red gems?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending