The Student Room Group

HELP - with my psychology study

I have a report to do including a psychology study. It has to be a correlation study showing the link between eating disorders and the media. Could somebody please check to make sure this is a proper correlation study, as when I start my A2 classes, we are going to analyse the data inferentially.

I was going to find photos in magazines of women of different sizes. The size of the woman would be my IV.
My DV would be how desirable the photo is seen (on a scale of 1 to 10) through a questionnaire.

Both variables would give me two sets of numerical data, however I didn't think it was possibe to have an IV and DV for a correlation, so I'm a little confused.

Can somebody please give me a heads up?
Of course it's possible. As your IV increases/decreases does your DV increase/decrease? That's the basic behind a correlation.

Though you may find it hard to find accurate sizing data, going by clothing sizes is useless because each brand will have different measurements for a 'size'.
Reply 2
Original post by thetrickyfox
Of course it's possible. As your IV increases/decreases does your DV increase/decrease? That's the basic behind a correlation.

Though you may find it hard to find accurate sizing data, going by clothing sizes is useless because each brand will have different measurements for a 'size'.

Thank you!

I'm aware of the difficulty of finding a correct size, I was going to include this in my evaluation.
Original post by prophetkid
Thank you!

I'm aware of the difficulty of finding a correct size, I was going to include this in my evaluation.

If you need any help understanding the correlation, significance or statistical tests you're welcome to ask.
That seems reasonable. It's definitely something to consider.
Reply 4
Original post by thetrickyfox
If you need any help understanding the correlation, significance or statistical tests you're welcome to ask.
That seems reasonable. It's definitely something to consider.

Sorry I just realised that message didn't make sense. Basically the two sets of results I'd get are:
1) The size of the woman in the photo
2) The desirability score (scale of 1 to 10)

Would both sets of data be used for the stats test e.g. Spearman's Rho?
Original post by prophetkid
Sorry I just realised that message didn't make sense. Basically the two sets of results I'd get are:
1) The size of the woman in the photo
2) The desirability score (scale of 1 to 10)

Would both sets of data be used for the stats test e.g. Spearman's Rho?

Yes, you'd use both sets of data. Since both of yours will presumably be numerical data, you should be able to use Spearman's rank.
Reply 6
Im sorry this has nothing to do with what you're talking about but I REALLY need help. Im taking Phsychology at sixth form and they've asked me to do some work about Agency Theory before I start and I really don't understand what it is, everything online is confusing me, could you help? :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending