EmmaBxoxo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have a gold crest award the field was in engineering but can wittle it to make it look more relevant to the course I am looking at Econ/Physics/Maths.

Is there any need to do an EPQ in year 13?

Isn't it seen as a thing for lesser uni's to help students hit the requirements.

For those who go to Cam I would be interested to hear if you did an EPQ and you feel it helped.

Thanks.
Mike_123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by EmmaBxoxo)
I have a gold crest award the field was in engineering but can wittle it to make it more relevant to the course I am looking at Econ/Physics/Maths.

Is there any need to do an EPQ in year 13?

Isn't it seen as a thing for lesser uni's to help students hit the requirements.

For those who go to Cam I would be interested to hear if you did an EPQ and you feel it helped.

Thanks.
I'd have done EPQ if I had the chance. I mean, it doesn't give you an absolute advantage over another candidate but shows you're really interested. Since you're unsure whether you want to do econ or maths, then i'd say do an EPQ in economics, so that way you've covered both maths/engineering from the gold crest and economics from the EPQ.

But dont let EPQ hinder your grades. I think it's only considered as half an A level (?) and if it restricts the ability for you to do well in the rest of your subjects then it's not necessary.

If you wanna know anymore about Cam feel free to PM
EmmaBxoxo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Mike_123)
I'd have done EPQ if I had the chance. I mean, it doesn't give you an absolute advantage over another candidate but shows you're really interested. Since you're unsure whether you want to do econ or maths, then i'd say do an EPQ in economics, so that way you've covered both maths/engineering from the gold crest and economics from the EPQ.

But dont let EPQ hinder your grades. I think it's only considered as half an A level (?) and if it restricts the ability for you to do well in the rest of your subjects then it's not necessary.

If you wanna know anymore about Cam feel free to PM

Thank you for the advice, appreciate the response

Its just that with A2's, and revising for all the US exams, and maintaining all my EC's - I'm not sure if its worth it whilst potentially screwing up the other exams.

With economics particularly can you recommend any alternative EC's
rayquaza17
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No.
Mike_123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thank you for the advice, appreciate the response

Its just that with A2's, and revising for all the US exams, and maintaining all my EC's - I'm not sure if its worth it whilst potentially screwing up the other exams.

With economics particularly can you recommend any alternative EC's
Not a problem, happy to help.

Oh wow so you're doing A2s and US exams at the same time?! That's crazy.

IIRC US unis like ECs (sports scholarships and all), but UK unis definitely do not, it's based purely on academic merit. So don't bother doing DofE and stuff because it doesn't make a difference. In my PS I had simple stuff like football. Your UCAS PS will compromise of 80% academic and 20% not.

The only relevant ECs are doing w/e for, say, the Bank of England, investment bank, financial advisory, etc. But those opportunities are hard to come, since it's who you know and not what you know. But if you do have friends of family who are able to get you these things, they will not only help you with your application (as you can relate it to economics in your PS), but also your future career plans. That's the way the world works, on nepotism, unfortunately. Don't fret if you don't have any w/e, as for UK unis it's based on academic merit only, and I can vouch for that since I didn't have any relevant w/e, it's grades above all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
21.99%
Excited but a bit nervous (132)
45.36%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.37%
I'm really nervous (59)
20.27%

Watched Threads