Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, my friend and I both have offers for Oxford of AAA in Advanced Highers (geography at Brasenose / biochemistry at Hertford).

We were wondering how sympathetic admissions tutors are for people who need 3As but get AAB. I've heard rumours that they sometimes still let you in. If this is true, how often does it happen, and under which circumstances? Does anyone know if it will make a different that we are doing AH instead of A-levels?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hellsbells)
    Hi, my friend and I both have offers for Oxford of AAA in Advanced Highers (geography at Brasenose / biochemistry at Hertford).

We were wondering how sympathetic admissions tutors are for people who need 3As but get AAB. I've heard rumours that they sometimes still let you in. If this is true, how often does it happen, and under which circumstances? Does anyone know if it will make a different that we are doing AH instead of A-levels?

Thanks in advance
    I honestly doubt it, I'm afraid. Oxford make Open offers to many candidates (I have one) and will allocate them a college on results day. Such candidates are allocated colleges were people haven't made their grades (even if by just one single mark!) so I'm afraid if you don't make it there will be people who will automatically take your space. I know this is true for all the science subjects, but I don't know whether Geog participates in the Open Offer scheme.

So go do some revision NOWWWWWWW!!!! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    I honestly doubt it, I'm afraid. Oxford make Open offers to many candidates (I have one) and will allocate them a college on results day. Such candidates are allocated colleges were people haven't made their grades (even if by just one single mark!) so I'm afraid if you don't make it there will be people who will automatically take your space. I know this is true for all the science subjects, but I don't know whether Geog participates in the Open Offer scheme.

Thanks for the info. I'm actually revising maths just now! (Honest!)

Good luck with your offer any everything

*returns to revision*

ReputationRep:

Thanks in advance
    I know of people who have managed to get in even if they miss thier grades, but it's rare. I imagine that it's only if they really loved the candidate at interview.

ReputationRep:
    I think it'd depend on a mixture of numbers -- how many other people missed their offers? How many open offers did they make? -- and how much they like you. Sometimes General Studies and AEA grades have made the difference. I have heard of quite a few people who have missed their Oxbridge offers and have been allowed in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    I think it'd depend on a mixture of numbers -- how many other people missed their offers? How many open offers did they make? -- and how much they like you. Sometimes General Studies and AEA grades have made the difference. I have heard of quite a few people who have missed their Oxbridge offers and have been allowed in.
    Thanks that's what I had hoped was the case.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks that's what I had hoped was the case.
    But having said that I also know someone who got an offer of AAB plus 2,2 in STEP. He ended up with AAAAA and 1,3 in STEP. They didn't take him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naelse)
    I know of people who have managed to get in even if they miss thier grades, but it's rare. I imagine that it's only if they really loved the candidate at interview.
    I got AAC

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    But having said that I also know someone who got an offer of AAB plus 2,2 in STEP. He ended up with AAAAA and 1,3 in STEP. They didn't take him.
    That's really harsh! A similar thing happened to my friend's cousin at Cambridge, she was turned down by her original college but a different college took her instead.

ReputationRep:

Thanks in advance

I don't know what level advanced highers are, but if they're the same as A levels, AAA offer for geog is harsh!! I would have thought u'd stand a good chance with aab seeing as they give wuite a few aab offers. I had brasenose given to me as my 3rd choice (for geog) never went there tho heard its lovely tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzie)
    I don't know what level advanced highers are, but if they're the same as A levels, AAA offer for geog is harsh!! I would have thought u'd stand a good chance with aab seeing as they give wuite a few aab offers. I had brasenose given to me as my 3rd choice (for geog) never went there tho heard its lovely tho
    I've heard from my teachers that Advanced Highers are harder than A-levels, but I'm not sure how true that is. Some English unis give lower offers to Scottish applicants, so maybe it is true. Shame Oxford didn't do the same!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)

Open offers are given for biochemistry, biological sciences, chemistry, classics, engineering, maths, medicine, modern languages and physics. So if you miss your grades for these subjects you pretty much have no hope at all (because of the reasons pointed out by Hoofbeat). So yeah, lots of fun revision to look forward to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    Open offers are given for biochemistry, biological sciences, chemistry, classics, engineering, maths, medicine, modern languages and physics. So if you miss your grades for these subjects you pretty much have no hope at all (because of the reasons pointed out by Hoofbeat). So yeah, lots of fun revision to look forward to
    Modern Languages? Uh oh. :eek:
    I'd better get some serious revision done...

~ * ~ * It's my 100th post! * ~ * ~

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmJ)
    Modern Languages? Uh oh. :eek:

~ * ~ * It's my 100th post! * ~ * ~
    Wooohoo!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmJ)
    Yeah, me too, have been slacking too much thus far oo congrats on your 100th

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.