The Student Room Group
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website

Haughton House Accommodation

Just received my accommodation offer and I'm staying in Haughton House, first floor, room 36.

Who else is in these halls? I checked hello freshers and either these halls will be dead or most people haven't signed up to it.

Looking forward to meeting you all! Let's get the shots flowing!
Reply 1
Hey, I'm at 6 Haughton House on the ground floor. I just think most people haven't signed up yet, some people might still be waiting for results.

I went to an open day and the accomidation seems all right, the rooms seem a little small but that's to be expected. Didn't get to see Haughton though.
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by ariien
Hey, I'm at 6 Haughton House on the ground floor. I just think most people haven't signed up yet, some people might still be waiting for results.

I went to an open day and the accomidation seems all right, the rooms seem a little small but that's to be expected. Didn't get to see Haughton though.

When I went for the open day, the rooms in the tour were not that great and as you mentioned, the rooms are not exactly spacious. I'm not that fussed though, I don't plan to be in my room too much as I want to get to know as many people and be doing something fun as often as possible.

What courses are you studying if you're in these halls?
Reply 3
What course your on doesn't effect what house you're in unless your on nursing.
Reply 4
Original post by Dana.
What course your on doesn't effect what house you're in unless your on nursing.

I didn't mean are you in a specific course to be in these halls, I was just asking what course you guys are on if you're in these halls haha.
Original post by Jamie73
Just received my accommodation offer and I'm staying in Haughton House, first floor, room 36.

Who else is in these halls? I checked hello freshers and either these halls will be dead or most people haven't signed up to it.

Looking forward to meeting you all! Let's get the shots flowing!

Hi Jamie.

I'm on my second year of web development and I'll be staying in Halls. I'm in the middle of the court in Eccleshall. I'll be keeping a watchful eye on all the after parties I'm not invited to.

I'd expect Hellofreshers to fill up a little more towards the end of August as results get sent to the University and places are confirmed. I don't know if you've checked recently or not but Haughton has gotten quite full (15 people).

For your future reference, I am the SHOT KING. I'd never had a real shot before starting uni; first night - 16 Jáger bombs. I couldn't sleep for two days (Drink responsibly).
Reply 6
Original post by Linkdifferent
Hi Jamie.

I'm on my second year of web development and I'll be staying in Halls. I'm in the middle of the court in Eccleshall. I'll be keeping a watchful eye on all the after parties I'm not invited to.

I'd expect Hellofreshers to fill up a little more towards the end of August as results get sent to the University and places are confirmed. I don't know if you've checked recently or not but Haughton has gotten quite full (15 people).

For your future reference, I am the SHOT KING. I'd never had a real shot before starting uni; first night - 16 Jáger bombs. I couldn't sleep for two days (Drink responsibly).

Haha, brilliant mate! Maybe I can get some guidance from you at some point during my first year. I'll keep checking back on Hellofreshers but it is slowly filling up and there are people starting to comment in the fb comments now.

I'm looking forward to it and hope to make some good connections in the new world of web development :wink:
Original post by Jamie73
Haha, brilliant mate! Maybe I can get some guidance from you at some point during my first year. I'll keep checking back on Hellofreshers but it is slowly filling up and there are people starting to comment in the fb comments now.

I'm looking forward to it and hope to make some good connections in the new world of web development :wink:

You're more than welcome to come to me for guidance. So long as it's for web development or being a fresher; for your own safety... don't come to me for any cooking advice.

Send me a private message and I can add you on Facebook if you'd prefer? - I rarely check TSR.
Reply 8
Original post by Linkdifferent
You're more than welcome to come to me for guidance. So long as it's for web development or being a fresher; for your own safety... don't come to me for any cooking advice.

Send me a private message and I can add you on Facebook if you'd prefer? - I rarely check TSR.

Will do mate. I know a fair bit of HTML and CSS but lacking in server sided languages like php and aspx. I'm trying to read through a php and sql book but progression is slow. What did you learn that you didn't know before the course?
Original post by Jamie73
Will do mate. I know a fair bit of HTML and CSS but lacking in server sided languages like php and aspx. I'm trying to read through a php and sql book but progression is slow. What did you learn that you didn't know before the course?

I was in a similar position to you before I started last year. I'd spent a lot of time developing basic 3, 5-page static HTML webpages from design to final product so I had a decent understanding of HTML, CSS and Javascript.

I wish I'd of spent a bit more time getting familiar with the new HTML5 elements. Having used divs for over a year of development it was really difficult for me to break the habit. I doubt that there's any likelihood of you needing to know ASP in this first year but you are likely to be taught PHP in your second semester.

It's good that you're taking time out to invest some time now but, the first-year is all about getting everyone set-up with the basics at a minimum. There are opportunities for more comfortable students to take on further challenges with marks awarded consequently.

To answer your question. I already had spent a year developing both static and dynamically-driven PHP websites. This meant I already had a lot of the basics covered. It was the theoretical stuff I benefited from the most. As well as more in depth understanding of various programming paradigms and the semantics of HTML5.
I'm in haughton house too! :biggrin: :hoppy::hoppy:
Reply 11
Original post by LucyLovesLinux
I'm in haughton house too! :biggrin: :hoppy::hoppy:

It's filling up fairly fast. I checked hellofreshers and more people signed up.
Reply 12
I'm doing Computer Science :biggrin:

It's definitely worth learning PHP/MySQL for web development as I'd think that would be one of the main server-side languages you'll be using. HTML/CSS is a must, and I'd think JavaScript and HTML5 is a big bonus!
Reply 13
Original post by ariien
I'm doing Computer Science :biggrin:

It's definitely worth learning PHP/MySQL for web development as I'd think that would be one of the main server-side languages you'll be using. HTML/CSS is a must, and I'd think JavaScript and HTML5 is a big bonus!

Absolutely! One of the biggest improvements with thanks to HTML5 has been the new doctype, the old one was insanely long and unnecessary. I'm also beginning to appreciate the more semantic formatting tags like <nav> and <footer> for example. The normal div id or class method of dividing the page will always be my favourite though. I can't say I have touched the canvas element or much of the multimedia tags though.

I'm spending a couple of hours every other day reading up on PHP/MySQL so hopefully in a months time, I'll have some knowledge of those languages to take with me when I get to staff. I wonder if we'll be covering many frameworks or engines for JS like Angular, Ember or Node.JS those seem to be showing up more and more in job skill requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending