The Student Room Group

What does it take to become a Masters student at Oxford?

From a general perspective and for entry into the Said business school

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Joyful_soul
From a general perspective and for entry into the Said business school

Thank you :smile:

If you are thinking of the MBA, the thick end of fifty grand plus accommodation and subsistence.
Original post by nulli tertius
If you are thinking of the MBA, the thick end of fifty grand plus accommodation and subsistence.

Ok, but what about:

- Personality
- Academic achievements
Original post by Joyful_soul
Ok, but what about:

- Personality
- Academic achievements

Personality - It doesn't matter in the slightest. Oxford don't care if you're a psychotic sociopath how loudly abuses anyone who intrudes on their personal space, as long as you have the grades and the money.

Academic achievements - The minimum requirements for advertised on your course page, but, more realistically a 1:1 (or equivalent) with an exceptionally high scores in the modules most relevant for the degree. Prizes, scholarships and conference attendance help too, but are a bonus and not required.
Original post by ellie.rew
....realistically a 1:1 (or equivalent) with an exceptionally high scores in the modules most relevant for the degree.

since there is no British university which separates the first class into divisions, it is not realistic to suggest that "a 1:1" (i.e. a degree in the upper division of the first class) is required, this threatens only to confuse "...but my university doesn't give those...". Perhaps the equivalent you advert to is a very strong first class degree, but why not say that then?
Original post by cambio wechsel
since there is no British university which separates the first class into divisions, it is not realistic to suggest that "a 1:1" (i.e. a degree in the upper division of the first class) is required, this threatens only to confuse "...but my university doesn't give those...". Perhaps the equivalent you advert to is a very strong first class degree, but why not say that then?

Original post by ellie.rew
Personality - It doesn't matter in the slightest. Oxford don't care if you're a psychotic sociopath how loudly abuses anyone who intrudes on their personal space, as long as you have the grades and the money.

Academic achievements - The minimum requirements for advertised on your course page, but, more realistically a 1:1 (or equivalent) with an exceptionally high scores in the modules most relevant for the degree. Prizes, scholarships and conference attendance help too, but are a bonus and not required.

I'm not sure a "1:1/ strong First" is a strict requirement for Masters at Oxford; my offer simply stated that it was conditional on a First (BCL), although I do know someone who had a rather difficult conditional offer for Economics. Also, not all Masters courses require a First. Some (like the MBA) only ask for a 2i.

OP, have you looked at the SBS application guide yet? This is the MBA one: http://www.sbs.ox.ac.uk/programmes/degrees/mba/how-apply-mba/mba-application-requirements They also offer other Masters courses like the MSc Law and Finance and MSc Financial Economics :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by mishieru07
I'm not sure a "1:1/ strong First" is a strict requirement for Masters at Oxford; my offer simply stated that it was conditional on a First (BCL), although I do know someone who had a rather difficult conditional offer for Economics. Also, not all Masters courses require a First. Some (like the MBA) only ask for a 2i.

OP, have you looked at the SBS application guide yet? This is the MBA one: http://www.sbs.ox.ac.uk/programmes/degrees/mba/how-apply-mba/mba-application-requirements They also offer other Masters courses like the MSc Law and Finance and MSc Financial Economics :smile:

Thank you. :smile:
Original post by cambio wechsel

I realise that no university divides its first class into divisions, but, like the degree classification system itself, the notation used to denote it is illogical and at the universities I have attended I:1 is the notation for a first class degree. i didn't intend to confuse and (perhaps wrongly) assumed that the OP was familiar with the standard ways of writing classifications. To clarify: I:1 = a first class degree classification.

Original post by mishieru07

I never said that a first was a strict requirement for a Masters at Oxford; on the contrary it rarely is and most offers (in my department at least, including my own) are conditional on a high 2:1. However, everyone I know who was given a conditional offer of a high 2:1 ended up entering with a first, and in the more competitive courses a first class degree (or a predicted one) is a de facto minimum requirement. That's not to say that you shouldn't apply if you're currently averaging a 68, you certainly should, but just be aware that you should be aiming for a first (and if you're averaging 68 that's something you should be doing anyway) in order to have a realistic chance, in most cases.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending