The Student Room Group

Self employed vs employee

Hi,

The question is would you rather be self employed or employed by a company/organization/individual?

On the one hand, I would prefer being self employed and running my own business, as I am in control; I get to choose my own hours; I get more job satisfaction and maybe more money. But on the other hand, I could go bankrupt; I may not get a holiday; and I have to employ staff. I know I am very bad in a retail environment as my family used to own a store, and I was someone with a bad temper. I know customer service is not what I strive in - but I know plenty of other businesses where you can make more money with less customers or at least gain a lot of commission.

However, being employed by someone gives me the chance to get paid holiday; have a steady income; work less hours; get more perks; and gain qualifications and skills. A few downsides would be working hours you are not comfortable with; undertaking tasks that you don't wish to do; being pushed around a lot; pressured into reaching targets.

Both types of employment have their ups and downs. Which one do you prefer and why?
Original post by employee101
Hi,

The question is would you rather be self employed or employed by a company/organization/individual?

On the one hand, I would prefer being self employed and running my own business, as I am in control; I get to choose my own hours; I get more job satisfaction and maybe more money. But on the other hand, I could go bankrupt; I may not get a holiday; and I have to employ staff. I know I am very bad in a retail environment as my family used to own a store, and I was someone with a bad temper. I know customer service is not what I strive in - but I know plenty of other businesses where you can make more money with less customers or at least gain a lot of commission.

However, being employed by someone gives me the chance to get paid holiday; have a steady income; work less hours; get more perks; and gain qualifications and skills. A few downsides would be working hours you are not comfortable with; undertaking tasks that you don't wish to do; being pushed around a lot; pressured into reaching targets.

Both types of employment have their ups and downs. Which one do you prefer and why?

Just popped this in careers as I think you should get more responses here. :smile:
Reply 2
Self Employed, why put profit in someone else's profit!

There's no job security anymore anywhere, yea you won't get paid if you don't work, but that's motivation for me lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending