Matzoux
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello,

I am an international student and I would like to know more about the reputation of the university in England. I know very well that we are far from Oxbridge but what about overall ?

Thank you to you.
Incubator
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes.
marm-alade
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
it's (relatively) new to the prestigious universities (that is, in the 2000s it joined the top of the league tables) but it is very well-regarded, often doing well on international leauge tables and appearing in the international reputation league table. I know they're not everything, but Manchester is about on the same level as Bristol, Sheffield, Liverpool and other red-brick universities. Hope this helps
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Matzoux)
Hello,

I am an international student and I would like to know more about the reputation of the university in England. I know very well that we are far from Oxbridge but what about overall ?

Thank you to you.
Yes, it's considered prestigious. It's a research intensive university, and part of the Russell Group, which is often regarded as being the group of the most prestigious universities in the UK.

On the international rankings, Shanghai Jiao Tong rates it as 5th in the UK http://www.shanghairanking.com/ARWU2013.html and QS ranks it as 8th in the UK http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...=false+search=

As for being far from Oxbridge, then few would argue that Manchester is considered as prestigious as Oxbridge, but it should be noted that Manchester takes a lot of students who had the grades for Oxbridge but were rejected. Similarly, many Manchester graduates progress onto postgraduate degrees at Oxbridge.
Incubator
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It used to be known as UMIST, which was very prestigious.
HandmadeTurnip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Incubator)
It used to be known as UMIST, which was very prestigious.
Only part of it used to be UMIST, namely the Sackville Street campus. The rest was the Victoria University of Manchester.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Manchester
    Undergraduate Undergraduate
    Fri, 19 Jun '20
    Sat, 20 Jun '20
    Sat, 3 Oct '20

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (47)
25.41%
No (138)
74.59%

Watched Threads