Turn on thread page Beta

Should I tell muslim girlfriend I'm not a muslim watch

Notes to make before post

*Please don't tell me that muslims aren't allowed to date etc I know that. Whatever you think, the fact is it is quite common now.

*We've been together for two years.

*I love her very dearly and would love to be with her long term/marry her.

*I was born a muslim and have considered myself one right up until just before this ramadan.

-
    Okay, so I've been with my girlfriend for a few years now - we've always planned to get married. However just before ramadan I came across the books called the god delusion, god is not great. + the massive resource of videos on youtube on atheism. And though I have always been skeptic it finally came to me that i had to accept that islam simply isn't true. This led me to not fast through ramadan...which i had to lie to my family about (dangerous to tell them) and I had to lie to my girlfriend.

The reason why I had to lie to my girlfriend is because I know that she would end it with me, simply because she truly believes. which is fair enough because she is doing what is beneficial for her in terms of what she believes is best for her afterlife. I did try to bring up a discussion as to why pork is haram etc and she became really flustered. And asked me why I'm thinking/asking about this kind've stuff..then she joked and said "are you an atheist?" I said "no" very quickly but then asked "what if I was?" and she replied that "it would mess everything up".

Soooo now I'm stuck and entirely messed up in my head...I don't know what to do and I guess I just wanted some opinions as to what you guys would do if you truly loved someone and you were in the position knowing that if they knew you no longer believed in god that the relationship couldn't go ahead...

please help, very confused.

ReputationRep:
    It's hard but you can't continue on the basis of a lie.
    I would tell her because you can't really not tell her either.

But the thing is that would essentially terminate our relationship...
    Would you think that it would be unfair of me to not tell her and just go along with pretending that I still am a muslim?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    But the thing is that would essentially terminate our relationship...
    Would you think that it would be unfair of me to not tell her and just go along with pretending that I still am a muslim?
    Yes it would be unfair, and she'd find out eventually anyway.

How would I reveal something like that?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Roger1)
    Yeah you should tell her so that she can rightfully dump you. She as a Muslim is way too good for an atheist especially who happens to be a Muslim once.
    Oh look everyone's favourite beacon of goodwill and sunshine is here on cue.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously she would terminate the relationship. It's not rocket science is it? I pray that the poor sister gets out of this sin soon and ends up in a halal relationship with a good Muslim man.

ReputationRep:
    You should tell her exactly what you've told us, including your worries about the relationship ending etc. There isn't any point in lying to her and yourself. Be honest, and take whatever happens. Who knows...she might not end the relationship?

ReputationRep:
    She is gonna find out at some point, either way. You should just try and explain your views to her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roger1)
    Obviously she would terminate the relationship. It's not rocket science is it? I pray that the poor sister gets out of this sin soon and ends up in a halal relationship with a good Muslim man.
    Is this guy for real?

I would tell her, if you think that she would dump you over her religion, then she doesn't really love you then tbh

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure Muslims can't have boyfriends/girlfriends so it's not like she can use religion as a legitimate excuse for dumping you :lol:

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I would tell her, if you think that she would dump you over her religion, then she doesn't really love you then tbh

This. If she loves you, she will stay with you, if not then just move on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous263)
    Is this guy for real?
    Unfortunately yes :laugh: he's come out with worse...
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    You shouldn't base relationships on lies...

ReputationRep:
    And this is why I strongly dislike religion.

ReputationRep:
    You liar!! How could you?

Alright, enough melodrama.

Advice: Be honest. So simple. Stop worrying. If she dumps you, then just move on!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous263)
    Is this guy for real?
    What did I say wrong? A Muslim shouldn't even have bfs/gfs. I'm assuming her girlfriend wants to marry him but she can't marry a non-muslim so I hope he man up and tell her so she can rightfully dump him.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Just tell her.

ReputationRep:
    Tell her man. If she doesn't get along with you then there's no point staying with her if you can't be yourself and have your opinions and beliefs respected.

And congratulations for coming out as an Atheist :top:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 4, 2014
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.