The Student Room Group

How to ace GCSEs thread for those starting them..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
lil_groovy_dude
I have my Chemistry exam the day before my birthday :frown:

Taking GCSE Science in year 10 and additional science in year 11 you see ...

The new science system is horrible! You can't just continue with it for two years.... i'm so glad i missed it by a year! :smile:
Cataclysm
There is a lot more help and more tips on English Writing here, go and check it out: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=4709537#post4709537

Oooh I remember making that thread :redface: I feel so stupid for overworrying in hindsight!

Thanks people for the +rep. If you have any subject specific questions, please feel free to ask/PM them :smile:
-Put maximum effort into all your coursework. Ask your teachers what you got (most of mine wouldn't tell us though) and ask to improve anything you're not completely happy with until you've got the best mark you're capable of. This will take some of the pressure off for the exams and really can mean the difference between grades. In my case, I know I would have got A*A* in English and A in maths if it wasn't for coursework.

-Work hard throughout the 2 years. Pay attention in class, get help with anything you don't understand and do all your homework. Revise for mocks and you'll find that a lot of it will come back to you very quickly when revising for the real exams.

-Start revising in the Easter holidays. Make a revision timetable. You probably won't stick to it exactly, but it'll give you a rough guide. Instead of just putting the subject, put the topic as well so you know exactly where to start. Experiment with different formats. Some people prefer to work for short periods of time with regular short breaks, whereas others prefer to work for hours on end and then have a long break. Some people prefer to concentrate on one subject at a time, whereas others prefer to mix them up for a bit of variety. You need to find out what works best for you.

-Focus more on subjects you're weakest at, even if you hate them, because that's where you have the greatest potential to improve your grades. At the same time, don't totally neglect your best and favourite subjects.

-If you need motivation, think about how fantastic you'll feel on results day if you meet or exceed your predictions and have grades you, your teachers and your family can be really proud of. Similarly, think how many regrets you'll have if you do badly and know it's all your own fault because you didn't work hard enough.
Bexy*at*your*service
The new science system is horrible! You can't just continue with it for two years.... i'm so glad i missed it by a year! :smile:

lucky :p: tis wierd :s: In Chemistry there is a module on Polymers :wtf?: :p: Thank God theres the Additional Science though lol :biggrin:
Oh yeah can some people please give me tips on GCSE Graphics ... how to prepare for the exams and so on

Reply 65
lil_groovy_dude
Oh yeah can some people please give me tips on GCSE Graphics ... how to prepare for the exams and so on

First mistake, you took Graphics, not to scare you or anything but no one this year got an A* at my school. The coursework can be fine but the exam can be weird. The "themes" are very peculiar most of the times; this year it was Windmill and stamps!
Reply 66

Start double-checking everything. Double check your coursework before you hand it in, read the exam questions twice before and after you answer them, double check the date and time of the exam itself... it's a good habit to get into!

Try and find out when your coursework is going to be most schools will actually have a coursework timetable somewhere, covering all subjects. This can help you plan your timing in advance, particularly if you're going to be doing two at the same time.

Hand your work in on time as much as possible, and don't make up lame excuses like "my printer broke". Aside from being a generally good, academic thing to do, it helps you build up good credit with your teachers. If they trust you to be a person who always does their work on time, then when you do screw up they'll likely let it go without a fuss, and you won't get in much trouble! :wink:

If you're going to want them at some point, then buy your revision guides as soon as possible but make sure they're the right ones for you! CGP is the most common, but some people hate the style they're written in, and find other guides such as BBC Bitesize much more helpful. One of my friends spent loads of money on a set of CGPs, then found out she couldn't stand the jokes, and had to buy a completely different set. Try at least one before you buy the lot!

I can only reiterate what everyone's said about coursework do it, do it well, and get it out of the way. It's a great safety net, and very reassuring come exams. A good set of coursework can pull your final result up by one, maybe even two grades if you're lucky.

If there's a topic you've just learnt, and you don't quite get it, DON'T just leave it, and think "plenty of time to sort that out come study leave". Go over the notes you made in class as soon as you can (that evening, if possible, whilst it's still fresh in your mind), perhaps with your revision guide to help you. If you still don't understand, see your teacher as soon as possible. Otherwise you'll end up with a bunch of topics you don't understand (and maybe, like me, some you don't even remember studying) come mocks/exams.

On that note, don't be afraid to ask your teachers if you don't understand. See them after lessons or in your lunch break if you need extra help. If you do a practice paper or essay, don't hesitate to ask them to mark it for you.

Revision timetables are great. Find out what kind of a worker you are (how long you can revise before you get bored, long breaks or short breaks, etc), and then work the timetable around it. Try and space similar subjects out, or "pad" the harder subjects with easier ones. For instance, rather than doing all three sciences in one day, try doing one a day, along with a completely different subject, like English.

Working out your own ways to remember things really helps. Little rhymes or mnemonics that you wrote yourself will stick in your mind, even if they'll be totally useless to all your mates. One thing I did, which really helped me in my sciences, was that I made up a massive, five sentence mnemonic to help me remember all the equations. It took me a while to remember it all - but when I'd got it, it meant that at the beginning of every science exam I was able to write out all 20+ equations I needed to know in a matter of seconds.

Focus on your worst and most hated subjects (though keep it up with your good ones). You might hate them, but if you work and revise hard then you'll be able to get a good, even a great grade in them!

And finally - take breaks! Have fun! You are still a teenager, after all. During study leave try and have a day off once a week. It really helps get you ready for another long haul of work.

Hope that helps! :biggrin:
Reply 67
^ - I think what Ms_Kooky has posted is the best summary of what has been said in the thread.

Excellent advice and summary!
Reply 68
Cataclysm
First mistake, you took Graphics, not to scare you or anything but no one this year got an A* at my school. The coursework can be fine but the exam can be weird. The "themes" are very peculiar most of the times; this year it was Windmill and stamps!

yes...that theme was very peculiar, I think the examiners are running out of ideas :p:...But for anyone doing graphics make sure you put 100% into your coursework otherwise its quite hard, almost impossible to get the top grades...if your practical work rocks then bring on the exam. Make sure you prepare your ideas well in advance for the exam...so you don't need to sit there making it up during your exam time...a good revision guide also helps (i had a gold covered CGP one and a Lonsdale one too)...and don't revise everything in the revision guide because you'll give yourself a headache because half the stuff in the revision guides doesn't come up in the exam...just try and revise the topics linked with what is on the prep sheet (talking about AQA) and do some research about anything shown on there. Doing that got me my A* in graphics.:biggrin:
I think I must've done it the old-fashioned way.. just reading something and dictating it to myself again and again until it was lodged into my brain. Annoying though, that I still remember random facts like Germany lost 13.5% of its land to 5 of its neighbouring countries, and lost 7 million of its people. I can't remember when or why though. But still, this method seems to work quite well.
Get a mod to sticky this. People starting GCSEs may find this info in here pretty useful, otherwise this thread will just get lost in the information-overloaded world of TSR!
:ditto: And the "Good Luck" thread can be unstickied now, I would think.
North Schlewswig or however it goes went to Denmark! Amazing how that is still in my mind two-and-a-half months on...
Alsace-Lorraine went to France, and Eupen and Malmedy to Belgium.

I only studied it last year though (I'm going into Year 11). I'm amazed I can remember that now, never mind next year!
Well, my revision for Physics consisted of:

- Read one page of the textbook.
- Stress.
- Watch Argentina/Mexico game at the World Cup.
- Watch England/Ecuador.
- Watch Holland/Portugal.
- Watch Lost.
- Sit in exam next day, scratching head.

And the result... A*!
Reply 75
Cataclysm

I'd have to disagree with you there, most people in my school who did graphics this year got an A*/A in graphics! Don't think anyone even got a B! Although, i think that's down to the fact that most people got nearly 100% in their coursework!
calcium878
:ditto: And the "Good Luck" thread can be unstickied now, I would think.

brimmie will do that for us. where is he??
^ Well done! :biggrin:
Yep, for getting an undeserved grade! :biggrin:
:p: !!

Quick Reply

Latest