The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Looking for private sector accommodation/potential housemates

Hi

My girlfriend and I will be moving to Brighton next month to start university (one Brighton, one Sussex). Ideally we want to find a place together in a decent location; preferably some kind of house share with other easy-going students. Neither of us were interested in halls, not because we're some inseparable couple but because more relaxed private accommodation was just more appealing.

I wondered if anyone could offer any advice on the best way to go about this? I'm aware of all the usual websites, but so far have just found myself staring at lists of fairly similar-looking properties with little indication of who else (if anyone) will be living there. Basically we're just feeling a bit lost and looking for other people to possibly search with.

If anyone is in a similar situation, would be interested in discussing house sharing or can offer any general advice, please let me know!

Cheers all
Original post by student layabout
Hi

My girlfriend and I will be moving to Brighton next month to start university (one Brighton, one Sussex). Ideally we want to find a place together in a decent location; preferably some kind of house share with other easy-going students. Neither of us were interested in halls, not because we're some inseparable couple but because more relaxed private accommodation was just more appealing.

I wondered if anyone could offer any advice on the best way to go about this? I'm aware of all the usual websites, but so far have just found myself staring at lists of fairly similar-looking properties with little indication of who else (if anyone) will be living there. Basically we're just feeling a bit lost and looking for other people to possibly search with.

If anyone is in a similar situation, would be interested in discussing house sharing or can offer any general advice, please let me know!

Cheers all

Hey, gumtree and spareroom generally have student places up for rent. :smile: Spareroom lets you place a personal ad so that other people who have places can find you. :smile:

Do you want to share a room in one house, or do you each want your own room? It might be a bit harder to find somewhere that will be happy to rent out one room to the both of you. Life experience has also taught me that you'll probably be happier having two rooms between you (even if you just turn one of them into a study area or something).

My advice would be to try and set up as many viewings as possible, as the turnaround is really quick in Brighton. Seeing it in person the only way you're really going to get a feel for the place and the people who live there. :smile: You should contact the advertiser and ask them who lives there, let them know a bit about yourself, etc. :smile: Other than that, it's just getting on with it, really. :smile: House hunting can be a slog, but it'll be worth to find somewhere you like living. :smile:

Places around Lewes Road are generally good for getting to both Sussex and Brighton campuses, and it's not too far from the town centre either.

Once you've found somewhere make sure you read through and understand the contract! Don't rent anywhere/pay the deposit without signing a contract. You'll also need to sort out your own insurance, etc. so make sure you get on that also.

Hope this helped a bit! :smile:
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Original post by student layabout
Hi

Cheers all

One big advice would be you'll suddenly find a lot of people looking for places here after results day. when people get in as an insurance or through clearing they won't have accommodation so will need househsares.

If you can find a nice 4 bed place then you just need to grab 2 more freshers that get in through clearing and you're set. There will probably be some posting here on TSr on the days after Results day. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending