The Student Room Group

Starting uni, Muslims gone bad?

One of the muslim guys from my block started uni as a quite reserved person, virgin and had never touched alcohol in his life. Throughout the year he started drinking alcohol on nights out together (his own choice, no peer pressure) and brought back girls more often than not ( but he still didn't eat ham or pork :rolleyes: )

A friend from another uni said the same for one of her flatmates, although not the alcohol part just having sex.

Anyone know of any similar situations?

I'm not trying to make muslims look bad, just interesting to see the effect uni has on some people, especially with religion.
I should mention a lot of the muslims didn't start drinking or having sex (as far as I know anyway).
Reply 1
lol
Original post by hotsaucee
One of the muslim guys from my block started uni as a quite reserved person, virgin and had never touched alcohol in his life. Throughout the year he started drinking alcohol on nights out together (his own choice, no peer pressure) and brought back girls more often than not ( but he still didn't eat ham or pork :rolleyes: )

A friend from another uni said the same for one of her flatmates, although not the alcohol part just having sex.

Anyone know of any similar situations?

I'm not trying to make muslims look bad, just interesting to see the effect uni has on some people, especially with religion.
I should mention a lot of the muslims didn't start drinking or having sex (as far as I know anyway).

Well, the freedom from a religious family means you can enjoy the finer things in life (alcohol and sex) :wink:

It does happen, not just at uni, but I know a muslim who went on a weekend away with non religious friends and got more smashed than they did :biggrin:
Reply 3
Eh, it happens to more than just Muslims when you're suddenly not under the grip of your parents.
Reply 4
well people change sometimes as long as he is happy it seems fine
Reply 5
Muslims this Muslims that *rolls eyes*

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's called freedom.
It is freedom especially for me coming from a Muslim background but I'm definitely looking forward to getting smashed and bringing the girls back home :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
one of my brothers mates started drinking doing drugs and eating pork at uni although to be fair he wasn't really a practising Muslim. He did try ramadan once he lasted from breakfast to lunch seeing as he woke up at 10 that day he lasted 3 hours.
As people grow up, the lucky ones have sufficient personality left to shape their own beliefs as they wish, and will often abandon religious principles foisted upon them during their upbringing. I've known lots of formerly religious people gain the freedom to make their own decisions when they leave the family home, from all backgrounds, and plenty of non-religious people have also jettisoned many of their parents' morals when they had the freedom to live how they wanted to.

It's quite normal for everyone, not just Muslims, but in my experience Muslims often have the most noticeable turnaround because the lifestyle system they are coming from is so absolute.
Plenty of people change their lifestyle habits when they move to uni, find a new group of friends and are no longer under their parent's watchful gaze. Sometimes Muslims do it, sometimes other people do it, and sometimes both Muslims and non-Muslims keep the same lifestyle habits :dontknow:
My only response to this is at home everyone has restrictions and boundaries.

When you get to uni, all of this goes and your on your own, you can do what ever whenever and uni is the perfect time to find out who you are, religiously, academically and sexually. So it's not down to just Muslims, Christians, Jewish and Hindus the lot.

It's just the idea of freedom

Posted from TSR Mobile
At the end of the day, everyone is their own person. Obviously said individual didn't prioritise his religious duties.. besides, no-one is perfect.

I'm starting university soon but I'm confident that I won't stray. I may look to get married as to not let physical desires blind my religious motivations.

The case with my parents is that I've been given a lot of freedom at home to do as I please. I think that's kind of shaped my character in the sense I wasn't restricted and they put that level of trust in me which I can transfer over to independent life.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Abdul-Karim
At the end of the day, everyone is their own person. Obviously said individual didn't prioritise his religious duties.. besides, no-one is perfect.

Pretty much this.

I'm staying at home whilst at uni so I avoid fitna + my mum can cook for me ^_^
Some Muslims are restricted in what they do so when they go university they let the freedom get to them. Some already had freedom but others influence them and they let them for example if everyone is partying they think why not?

I'm going university and my parents give me freedom already it's not like I'm new to it so I'll do everything I want because I know what I want to do and what's right and what's wrong. They just received this so they need time.

Everyone has a wild phrases that shapes them it's not really a permanent change but they won't be the same as before.

I don't plan to go clubbing and drinking so not all Muslims that go university or planning to will drink and stuff it depends on each individual and their personal choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
You can't really pin what he's dont on Islam and him being a Muslim, he's an individual. You'll find in every religion there are very religious people and those are not so religious and dont have that self control. That doesnt mean Muslims are bad people or hypocrites. All people are different.
Reply 16
i know a guy who started gonig college and started drinking and what not (of course heard it from other ppl but....)
Probably peer pressure...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply