The Student Room Group

How to be single and HAPPY?!

You see these wonderful, positive, happy people. You look at them and think "how on earth are you single? Looking at you i'd think you were in love- you're so happy and full of life all the time" But they don't have that special someone.

How do they do it? How can we be single yet full of happiness at the same time? How do we stop depending upon the love of another person to feel good? Opinions and views greatly appreciated!
Reply 1
Exactly the same way as if you were in a relationship. Think positive thoughts, do good things for other people, look after yourself and do as much of what you love as possible. I think this has more to do with maturation than finding someone. You don't suddenly get happy when you're in a relationship...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
remember to love yourself first!
Doing what you love! It's amazing if you do something that you love that it actually reminds you that you do not need anyone to be happy. And what the other user has said is completely true: love yourself. If you love yourself you don't become this person who's desperate and bitter about life. You do not cling to another person like a leech or some sort of parasite.
Find things that interest you and make you feel good- taking up a sport is a good way as you meet lots of new people and you feel great when you improve (plus its fun!). Surround yourself with good people who life you up and don't drag you down, family and friends can make you feel amazing. Concentrate on yourself and enjoy not having to 'check in' with someone or having to justify some decisions such as oh I cannot really go on holiday with my friends, just do itttt. It is great to have a partner, but if you love the life you have made for yourself and make the most of it then a relationship will enhance it further; but shouldn't rely on someone else to make it so. Some people worry they will not find someone and that makes them miserable, but if you don't dwell on that and go out and enjoy yourself you meet tonnes of new people.
Original post by 95winoj
remember to love yourself first!

BS! Sorry, but you don't NEED to do this at all, you just have to be comfortable in your own skin.
Original post by Anonymous
You see these wonderful, positive, happy people. You look at them and think "how on earth are you single? Looking at you i'd think you were in love- you're so happy and full of life all the time" But they don't have that special someone.

How do they do it? How can we be single yet full of happiness at the same time? How do we stop depending upon the love of another person to feel good? Opinions and views greatly appreciated!

I think you just have to get out there and enjoy yourself. You should be happy with yourself and what you're doing. Have fun, do what you love, spend time with friends, etc.

You don't need a partner to make you think positively and you should feel good regardless of your relationship status.

Don't rely on someone else to make you happy!
It's just a front, trust me. People think I'm happy :smile:
I feel like how can you expect other people to like you if you don't like yourself? Being happy, is at the root of things, liking yourself and therefore being happy to spend time with yourself isn't it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous

You need to learn to love yourself chief and foremost, if you can't handle being alone then what kind of signal are you giving off to women, i was in this similar position not idea when i stopped caring so much, guessing it was when i realised that you have just as much fun (if not more) when you're single, yes being in love and in a relationship is great, but remember that it isn't all faries and fairytale endings, you don't know what's going on behind the scenes with any couple, for all you know they could be having a "pregnancy scare"

Or one of them could be being abused (yes i know those two examples are extremes), so basically what i'm saying is learn to live the life you have, go out and enjoy doing what you want to do regardeless of what people around you may think, example for ages i was in denial about liking horse riding and wanting to dance cos i thought it was too 'girly' and i thought i had to be this typical masculine man to get girls, although that might be true for some women, you don't want to be with a women you have to lie to yourself about ... you want to be with a women who loves you for you querks and all

So basically just enjoy what love doing, also if your friends are going a bit overboard with the couple talk, maybe just ask them politely tone it down as it's kinda of putting a damper on your spirits, if they are truly your friends they will do as you request; remember your friends want you to be happy to
What you're seeing in other people is their persona. The persona is not who one truly is - it's the 'perfect' mask we put on when interacting with people. You're seeing only the absolute best aspects of their lives and very little (if any) of the negative aspects. Comparing yourself to others' persona is not a good idea.

Besides that, if your happiness depends on being in a relationship, then you're obviously never going to be happy single..
(edited 9 years ago)
Best way to be single and happy is to have lots of sex with attractive people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending