Turn on thread page Beta

Referendum to be held on EU Constitutional Treaty watch

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/3635943.stm

Apparently, Blair has made a fantastic U-turn and decided to after all call a referendum on the EU Constitutional Treaty.

What are your thoughts? Why did he suddenly change his mind? Is he right?

Will/would you vote in favour or against the Constitution?

ReputationRep:
    I will vote for the EU constitution because I feel we need to move closer t europe and further for America. There isn't anything in the EU constitution which will do us any harm so I am all for it.
    I think that tony blair did the right thing with calling the referendum because it should go though and this way the tories can't say that the people didn't want it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    I will vote for the EU constitution because I feel we need to move closer t europe and further for America.
    can you tell us why you feel we need to move away from America and why we need to be closer to Europe?

There isn't anything in the EU constitution which will do us any harm so I am all for it.
    have you read the Draft EU Constitution?
    what are your thoughts on handing over defence and tax policy to Brussels?

I think that tony blair did the right thing with calling the referendum because it should go though and this way the tories can't say that the people didn't want it.
    nice to see your priorities are in order...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zizero)

Apparently, Blair has made a fantastic U-turn and decided to after all call a referendum on the EU Constitutional Treaty.

i was against it and i still am.

i dont have a problem with Blair changing his mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    i was against it and i still am.

i dont have a problem with Blair changing his mind.
    It's a weird decision though. I thought he would try and one of the other 24 EU countries block it (there are so many referanda going on, its almost inevitable at least one will block the Constitution going through).

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, I just wonder whether he's got something up his sleeve that will make sure he gets his own way anyway... I can't imagine he'd U-turn like this otherwise when the constitution is so important to him.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is a brave decision from Blair, and one that could, ultimately, be his downfall.

The Tories will play on voters fears and it will be rejected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Hmmm, I just wonder whether he's got something up his sleeve that will make sure he gets his own way anyway... I can't imagine he'd U-turn like this otherwise when the constitution is so important to him.
    if he thinks its going to fail anyway, why lose popularity with the public.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    I think it is a brave decision from Blair, and one that could, ultimately, be his downfall.

The Tories will play on voters fears and it will be rejected.
    the mindless British public brainwashed by the evil conservatives or British public assessing the pros and cons of a EU superstate and rejecting it?

ReputationRep:
    the mindless British public brainwashed by the evil conservatives or British public assessing the pros and cons of a EU superstate and rejecting it?
    It will probably fail becaus people do not want to become any more integrated into Europe, or any other area, as is very clear from the attitude to immigration. Blair will have a hard job convincing people that even though it's been decided Britain will be disadvantaged by joining the Euro, conceding far more central powers, for considerably less benefit, will be to its advantage.

ReputationRep:

Here's what I think.

I think this will be one big stitch up. The referendum will not ask "EU Constitution - yes or no?" as we all know what the answer will be. Non!

It will more likely ask "EU - continued membership (and then in very small print) and ratification of EU constitution or complete withdrawal?

The issue will be hijacked and there will be no fair referendum on the single issue of the EU Constution which Blair would lose. It will become a wider plebicite on staying or leaving the EU (with the constitution issue fudged in their somewhere) which Blair will win.

IMHO, just more smoke and mirrors.

ReputationRep:
    Blair wouldn't offer the option of complete withdrawal.

ReputationRep:
    The Conservatives will scaremonger.

ReputationRep:
    Blair wouldn't offer the option of complete withdrawal.
    Maybe not. But I'll be mightily surprized to find this referendum will be on the single issue of the EU constitution. Blair isn't in the habit of organizing plebicites on things he will lose and I think he'll throw a wobbler in their somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Here's what I think.

I think this will be one big stitch up. The referendum will not ask "EU Constitution - yes or no?" as we all know what the answer will be. Non!

It will more likely ask "EU - continued membership (and then in very small print) and ratification of EU constitution or complete withdrawal?

The issue will be hijacked and there will be no fair referendum on the single issue of the EU Constution which Blair would lose. It will become a wider plebicite on staying or leaving the EU (with the constitution issue fudged in their somewhere) which Blair will win.

IMHO, just more smoke and mirrors.
    Which reminds of a Pakistani friend who told me that a few years ago there was a referendum about keeping the president in power and the question read something like this:
    "Are you a devout Muslim and support President XY?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    Blair will have a hard job convincing people that even though it's been decided Britain will be disadvantaged by joining the Euro, conceding far more central powers, for considerably less benefit, will be to its advantage.
    hehe, telling a lie in other words...

ReputationRep:
    Which reminds of a Pakistani friend who told me that a few years ago there was a referendum about keeping the president in power and the question read something like this:
    "Are you a devout Muslim and support President XY?"
    Classic! I'll remember that one!

ReputationRep:
    about what?

ReputationRep:
    about what?
    Red faced Majors and the blue rinse brigade will tell everyone that Enoch Powell was right.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed they will, they always do they play on the fear of the British.They will say that signing this referendum will lead to loads of german people coming over here taking are jobs and stealing our women. It is how the tory policies have worked in the past they will oppose any thing that the labour government does just for the sake of opposing it. I think that we need to move closer to europe because we are europeans we are not going to be the newest state of America. We are in the EU because they are our closest neighbours and it makes sense.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.