The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Surely if the European Constitution was such a great thing the government might have a bit of a stab at explaining it the people. If it's so good sell it to us!

Exactly! We are not a nation of xenophobes, bigots or fools ( for the most part) but we are fiercely independant. A cursory glance at our national history should give some explanation why.
Another interesting point someone brought up earlier was getting closer to Europe and further from America. Anyone else see any possible future conflicts in this area? It wont be just the price of spuds we will argueing the toss over with our European brothers, what about terrorism,the Middle East and our long standing relationship with America?
Please Sort Your Tags Out!
Reply 62
zizero
Which reminds of a Pakistani friend who told me that a few years ago there was a referendum about keeping the president in power and the question read something like this:
"Are you a devout Muslim and support President XY?"

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!
Reply 63
koldtoast
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

It wasn't that funny.
Reply 64
Well I obviously thought it was.

I personally do not support the EU constitution, in fact I'm opposed to the EU being anything other than purely economic. There was this article I read on the Sunday Express (March 28th 2004) which said that Britain would be basically trapped in the EU forever if it did sign up to the constitution, don't know if anyone else here read that article?

For those that didn't, I'll just quote a few lines from it to give you a general idea of what it was about.

'Under Article 1-59 Britain would have to give two years' notice before leaving the EU. During that time, Britain would be barred from participating in any decision or voting in any EU institutions, even if they directly concerened British interests'

'This would effectively hand over the governing of Britain to Brussels for two years, which would make it politically impossible for any British premier to agree to such terms.'

'European Commission president Romano Prodi has insisted that the concerns are "highly hypothetical" but , at the same time, warned that a member state which ignored the complex rules for withdrawal would be "in breach" of both EU and intl law.'

'Leading eurosceptics claim the so-called "Exit cuase" in the consitution is a trap preventing Britain - or any other member state- from leaving the EU within two years and handing over control to Brussels for that time. Those strict rules would mean no British PM would ever be able in practice to take Britain out fo the EU if national interests came under threat.'

Sunday Express, Page 2, March 28 2004

If this is true, then how come the public has not been told about this very strange exit clause? If I remember correctly, Blair promised to work out an exit clause with the committee. Interesting how he never went into details. Hmm, I wonder why? :rolleyes:
Reply 65
zizero
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/3635943.stm

Apparently, Blair has made a fantastic U-turn and decided to after all call a referendum on the EU Constitutional Treaty.

What are your thoughts? Why did he suddenly change his mind? Is he right?

Will/would you vote in favour or against the Constitution?

This constitution will affect british domestic and foreign politics for a long period of time (several generations) and so it is no more than fare that the public gets to decide.
Reply 66
koldtoast
Well I obviously thought it was.

I personally do not support the EU constitution, in fact I'm opposed to the EU being anything other than purely economic. There was this article I read on the Sunday Express (March 28th 2004) which said that Britain would be basically trapped in the EU forever if it did sign up to the constitution, don't know if anyone else here read that article?

For those that didn't, I'll just quote a few lines from it to give you a general idea of what it was about.

'Under Article 1-59 Britain would have to give two years' notice before leaving the EU. During that time, Britain would be barred from participating in any decision or voting in any EU institutions, even if they directly concerened British interests'

'This would effectively hand over the governing of Britain to Brussels for two years, which would make it politically impossible for any British premier to agree to such terms.'

'European Commission president Romano Prodi has insisted that the concerns are "highly hypothetical" but , at the same time, warned that a member state which ignored the complex rules for withdrawal would be "in breach" of both EU and intl law.'

'Leading eurosceptics claim the so-called "Exit cuase" in the consitution is a trap preventing Britain - or any other member state- from leaving the EU within two years and handing over control to Brussels for that time. Those strict rules would mean no British PM would ever be able in practice to take Britain out fo the EU if national interests came under threat.'

Sunday Express, Page 2, March 28 2004

If this is true, then how come the public has not been told about this very strange exit clause? If I remember correctly, Blair promised to work out an exit clause with the committee. Interesting how he never went into details. Hmm, I wonder why? :rolleyes:

Well this is the object of some debate actually.

The constitution would only become law once an Act of Parliament makes it law. Nothing can be done to stop Parliament repealing any Act. If this is so then Britain wouldn't be stuck in the EU forever and could in fact raise two fingers at Europe any time it wants to.
Reply 67

Do you really think Britain would be able to "raise two fingers are Europe any time" like you said? As Romano Prodi said, any state that ignored the exit clause rules would be "in breach of both EU and international law."

And even if Britain did just pull out without following the withdrawal rules, I bet Europe would do its best to severely penalise us for doing so (remember, with a Constitution in force, the entire EU would act as ONE) in a number of ways like banning British products from EU markets, monetary fines and so on.
Reply 68
zizero
Which reminds of a Pakistani friend who told me that a few years ago there was a referendum about keeping the president in power and the question read something like this:
"Are you a devout Muslim and support President XY?"

This makes me think about when a friend of mine explained teh pakistani electoral system. Basicly, first there is the elections, where each party get a certain number of members in the government. Once these members has been selected by the different parties, whichever partyleader has access to the most funds pay the other members of government to switch party until he has a single majority in the government.
Reply 69
Howard
Well this is the object of some debate actually.

The constitution would only become law once an Act of Parliament makes it law. Nothing can be done to stop Parliament repealing any Act. If this is so then Britain wouldn't be stuck in the EU forever and could in fact raise two fingers at Europe any time it wants to.

Well, I dont think britain has a real problem here actually, because britain is such an important part of the European economy. Norway, on the other hand has the problem that although they are not members of the EU, they are more or less forced to implement all EU regulations, and dont get to take part in the decisions.
Reply 70
koldtoast

Do you really think Britain would be able to "raise two fingers are Europe any time" like you said? As Romano Prodi said, any state that ignored the exit clause rules would be "in breach of both EU and international law."

And even if Britain did just pull out without following the withdrawal rules, I bet Europe would do its best to severely penalise us for doing so (remember, with a Constitution in force, the entire EU would act as ONE) in a number of ways like banning British products from EU markets, monetary fines and so on.

If some constitutional lawyers are correct Parliament remains our supreme legislative body, and not Europe.

Any directive or regulation emminating from Europe does not become law in the UK until it makes it's way through the legislation as an Act of Parliament.

This would also apply to the EU Constitution. Simply signing it will not make it law in this country. It must become law via an Act of Parliament.

Any Act of Parliament can be repealed. If this particular Act of Parliament was repealed the result would be the UK's exit from the fold of Europe. If the UK exits then it can't be subject to EU law can it? So Mr.Prodi is wrong.
Reply 71
Jonatan
Well, I dont think britain has a real problem here actually, because britain is such an important part of the European economy. Norway, on the other hand has the problem that although they are not members of the EU, they are more or less forced to implement all EU regulations, and dont get to take part in the decisions.

Britain is important because it's a net financial contributor to the the vanity of someone's vision of Europe and for no other reason.
Reply 72
So the proposed constitution has nothing mentioned in it about being more powerful than Parliament?

edited to add:

If the UK joins up to the constitution, it would be agreeing to its contents, which clearly defines the rules for leaving the EU.

If Britain leaves the EU without following the guidelines for exit, it would be violating the terms stated in the document - a document which it had agreed to.

Surely this would mean the EU would be allowed to penalise Britain for doing so? And I'm sure they would not treat such a thing lightly!
Reply 73
koldtoast
So the proposed constitution has nothing mentioned in it about being more powerful than Parliament?

edited to add:

If the UK joins up to the constitution, it would be agreeing to its contents, which clearly defines the rules for leaving the EU.

If Britain leaves the EU without following the guidelines for exit, it would be violating the terms stated in the document - a document which it had agreed to.

Surely this would mean the EU would be allowed to penalise Britain for doing so? And I'm sure they would not treat such a thing lightly!

But again, even if the EU constitution contains those words the constitution only becomes law via an Act of Parliament. Any Act can be repealed through a legal doctrine that says "Parliament cannot bind itself"

It's a very complex and circular argument to be honest! The effect, if any, on Parliamentary sovereingty, has not yet been decided even in theory, let alone practice, despite a lot of argument between some very clever constitutional lawyers and academics.

Of course another way of looking at it is this;

The opening lines of the EU constitution, in much the same way as the US constitution, suggest that the right to govern is subject to a willingness of the governed to be governed. Once that willingness erodes is there any validity to the constitution? We then go into a whole new area; a successionist argument.

I'd take what Mr.Prodi has said with a pinch of salt.
Reply 74
Howard

I'd take what Mr.Prodi has said with a pinch of salt.

indeed, following the bombings in Madrid, he said there was 'no war on terrorism'.
Reply 75
Having read most of this thread, I think that the argument in favour of the EU Constitution is still stronger and I will be voting "yes".. (first time I can legally vote!). I personally believe that Blair was heavily influenced by Brown on this one and that win or lose- the referendum will provide him with a perfect opportunity to make his exit.
zizero
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/3635943.stm

Apparently, Blair has made a fantastic U-turn and decided to after all call a referendum on the EU Constitutional Treaty.

What are your thoughts? Why did he suddenly change his mind? Is he right?

Will/would you vote in favour or against the Constitution?

I'm going to wait until the constitution is agreed before deciding finally which way i would vote, but although i am pro good relations with other countries, i believe that i will almost certainly vote no, unless britain hands over alot less control to europe, than what from i gather from the media, they will be doing currently.
Reply 77
Elle
Having read most of this thread, I think that the argument in favour of the EU Constitution is still stronger and I will be voting "yes".. (first time I can legally vote!). I personally believe that Blair was heavily influenced by Brown on this one and that win or lose- the referendum will provide him with a perfect opportunity to make his exit.

what argument?
Reply 78
Iluvatar
I'm going to wait until the constitution is agreed before deciding finally which way i would vote, but although i am pro good relations with other countries, i believe that i will almost certainly vote no, unless britain hands over alot less control to europe, than what from i gather from the media, they will be doing currently.

Blair said yesterday that the UK will still keep its sovereignty.
Reply 79
Elle
Blair said yesterday that the UK will still keep its sovereignty.

hehe, so hes going against the current draft? how does wanting to ratify the EU constitution mean we retain our current sovereignty? i think hes really been brainwashed on this one.

Latest

Trending

Trending