The Student Room Group

GCSE to A-level step up, really a big deal?

Hi, I was just wondering what everyone's opinions about the step up from GCSEs to A-levels are.

Is it really a huge change like everyone makes it out to be? And if so, why? Harder things to understand? Bigger workload? etc
I personally didn't feel a jump at all. However I did from AS to A2. Just make sure you stay on top of your work load and you understand things then you'll be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
It gets really overemphasised imo.

Put hard work in at the beginning, and you will hardly notice any jump
Reply 3
There is a little jump obviously because you are going for a higher level qualification and although the workload for each subject does go up dramatically the number of subjects obviously drops so you hardly notice it.
I think it depends what subjects you're doing. In Geography and Health and Social Care I didn't really feel much of a jump. However, in Biology and Chemistry (especially Chemistry) I do feel like it was quite a big jump. Nothing that you won't be able to cope with though. Just make sure you ask lots of questions if you don't understand anything and go over each topic once you've learnt it:biggrin:
Yes the jump is rather big. It's not necessarily difficult, it's just a lot more time consuming. I mean, most A Level subjects require you to be proactive and doing out of class research alongside homework. At GCSE, it was mostly have a lesson, forget it, then come revision time, memorise it again. With A Levels however you're expected to know the facts and understand them.

But schools tend to make the process slow and steady. The first two weeks they might stretch you with loads of homework, but that's normally to get rid of time wasters, and soon after it gets a lot more manageable. If you expect a jump, you probably won't notice it. If you didn't expect a jump, you'll definitely notice it.

I know languages (especially languages!!!) and essay subjects tend to have a huge jump compared to sciences, since you automatically have to writing AS standard essays from day one.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
AS level -> A-level >> GCSE -> AS level
I think it depends on your subjects and your current ability. The only subject I found insane at AS compared to GCSE was German. I do French too but I was always better at it than German. It wasn't a jump it was a leap of faith. Don't overestimate the jump however, it is equally important not to underestimate the jump. Someone did that in my year and he and the teachers think he will have to take all of his exams again. This was someone who had all A*s and As maybe a B at GCSE.
Hi everyone,
I've just finished my A Levels, which consisted of Biology, Psychology, Economics and an AS in Chemistry. If you guys would like to know more, please visit the thread I have made:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2763052

Feel free to ask me a anything!

Posted from TSR Mobile
just start your independent study from day 1 for couple of hours per subject each week and get into the habit of it. it's just a big jump if you don't revise and leave it to the last minute. whilst cramming at gcse or just revising after easter may have gotten you an A or an A* it won't in a-level.
i would also make sure that you understand everything that you are being taught in each lesson otherwise you will eventually fall behind. if you have any doubts or uncertainty about a particular topic make sure that you understand it by the end of the day -- whether that be by asking you teacher or researching online.
good luck!
I can't comment on the humanities and arts but if you're doing any sciences then it helps to have already heard of some concepts.
Maths just requires you to be competent in algebra (and some other parts of the GCSE syllabus) but you will be gradually taught up to a high level.

It's generally not a major step up if you're achieving A*/A grades in GCSE though.
Reply 12
Okay, thanks! It's great to here from people who've actually experienced the 'jump'!
it's only a jump for people who are lazy as **** (eg. me) basically GCSE it's easy to get a good grade in a subject without trying or revising at all. But if you were a guy that revised at gcse, you won't feel much of a jump. But if you didn't revise for anything and didn't try then those kind of people will see the jump because they will think, hey wait a minute... this isn't just common sense anymore i need to revise now :frown: .
Reply 14
In some GCSE subjects, you can get a B without revising but in A-level, if you don't revise you won't even get a grade. The transition isn't that bad to be honest. It just takes a lot of maturity to do A-level. It's about how much time and effort you put into your studies.
Reply 15
The jump from GCSE to A-Level does exist. You will notice it as soon as you start. The main difference is in the rate at which you are required to work, and the amount of work that you have to cover. The work rate doubles, and the amount that you have to learn increase by 100% at the least.

However, this does not mean that they are twice as hard. Coming fresh off your GCSE's, you will be used to putting plenty of effort into your studies from your revision period, and particularly for subjects which you did at GCSE, the size of the jump will be mitigated by your desire to get your teeth into a brand new course, something that you have not done in two years. Even if the subject is something new, you have learnt how to learn a lot better now, so that should help to greatly close the gap.

I hope that answers some of your questions. Good luck with your A-Level study!
I didn't notice it too much, but you have to work hard from the beginning in order not to notice it. It's a more demanding workload and more complex information depending on your subjects

Quick Reply

Latest