The Student Room Group

How are you preparing for starting AS Levels?

Title says it all :smile:
Reply 1
I just started doing summer revision sheets given by my sixth form for AS maths.
Other than that, I haven't really done anything. I guess I'm just gonna do what I want while I can. Mostly relaxing though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just purchased this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Engineering-Mathematics-K-A-Stroud/dp/1137031204/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407091658&sr=8-1&keywords=engineering+mathematics+stroud

And, am attempting to finish it before the start. It is quite enriching actually as it covers mechanics modules of maths and physics and also a bit of further maths.
Reply 3
Going to go over unit 1 for biology and start on some reading for literature/history. I've entered a few competitions and getting some work ready to be published (hopefully) relating to literature.
I've had a gap year before Year 12 and I've only just started preparing for my ASs. I'm a massive procrastinator :colonhash:
Reply 5
Original post by laylarose
I've had a gap year before Year 12 and I've only just started preparing for my ASs. I'm a massive procrastinator :colonhash:

You can do that?! Why am I only finding this out :eek:
Original post by Gorwell
You can do that?! Why am I only finding this out :eek:

The leaving age has been raised to 17 unfortunately, but I had a health circumstance haha :colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
The leaving age has been raised to 17 unfortunately, but I had a health circumstane haha :colondollar:

Oh yeah I forgot about that :frown: I turn 17 in November so it's a close one aha! Awh hope you're well now. :smile:

What subjects have you chosen? :biggrin:
Original post by Gorwell
Oh yeah I forgot about that :frown: I turn 17 in November so it's a close one aha! Awh hope you're well now. :smile:

What subjects have you chosen? :biggrin:

Thank you :smile: and English Lit, Maths, History of Art and Religious Studies :biggrin: Super excited to get back to school!

You?
Reply 9
Original post by TheEpiphany
Just purchased this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Engineering-Mathematics-K-A-Stroud/dp/1137031204/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407091658&sr=8-1&keywords=engineering+mathematics+stroud

And, am attempting to finish it before the start. It is quite enriching actually as it covers mechanics modules of maths and physics and also a bit of further maths.

If that is the book I think it is, then treasure it. It covers most of the A Level, a chunk of further, a bit of mechanics, most of stats and a lot more. The structure is very conducive to learning, and in a lot of cases it's vastly superior to the exam board books.

It's very long though, don't trouble yourself with finishing everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mainly just reading around my subjects (mainly physics atm). I've decided I'd rather not start on AS work - it ruins the novelty of learning new things. Plus it's pointless- you'll be bored in lessons and will just have to go over it all over again.
Thank you :smile: and English Lit, Maths, History of Art and Religious Studies :biggrin: Super excited to get back to school!

You?

It's fine! :smile: I'm taking English Literature, History, Biology & Art (changing to RS tho). How are you preparing for Lit? If you are that is :P

Same here tbh, I love school :biggrin:
Original post by Gorwell
It's fine! :smile: I'm taking English Literature, History, Biology & Art (changing to RS tho). How are you preparing for Lit? If you are that is :P

Same here tbh, I love school :biggrin:

Awesome :ahee: and haha, I've just been rereading some of my GCSE stuff and going through the bits of lit we'll be studying (The Turn of the Screw, Emily Dickinson's poems and some World War I centered things). D'you know what books you'll be studying?
Awesome :ahee: and haha, I've just been rereading some of my GCSE stuff and going through the bits of lit we'll be studying (The Turn of the Screw, Emily Dickinson's poems and some World War I centered things). D'you know what books you'll be studying?

Ah that's good! None of my GCSE stuff is useful for my course unfortunately :frown: I've been told we have Othello and Pride & Prejudice so far.:biggrin:

What are you planning on doing at uni??:tongue:
Original post by Gorwell
Ah that's good! None of my GCSE stuff is useful for my course unfortunately :frown: I've been told we have Othello and Pride & Prejudice so far.:biggrin:

What are you planning on doing at uni??:tongue:

Ah, rad books then! And God knows to be honest, I've toyed with Journalism and English, but I honestly don't know :emo:. How about you?
Ah, rad books then! And God knows to be honest, I've toyed with Journalism and English, but I honestly don't know :emo:. How about you?

Same as you! History as well. :tongue: You still have time, and the options you've chosen are good enough for any of those fields :smile:
Reply 16
You guys are very enthusiastic, aren't you? I've just been playing games. :P
As someone whose just finished a levels there's no point doing anything to prepare really! Enjoy your summer holidays

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unless you got a B (or less) in Maths GCSE and are starting Maths A-level, there is literally no point in doing any preparation beyond pens, pencils, calculators, notebooks and files. And you could do that in an hour.
i would recommend printing off the specification (if you know your exam board) and read it. i am also organising my room to be suitable for studying as well as buying folders and binders and putting my printed specification in it.

apart from that i am not really doing anything else. may i ought to, to give myself a head start.

Quick Reply

Latest