CaraCC
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey there,

I was just wondering if anyone would be able to help me. I'm really interested in Gloucestershire Uni, however I was hoping for a honest opinion and review of the Uni as a whole. As the prospectus just tell you what they want you to hear. And most importantly what is the sport like there as this is my focus and course.

Thanks Cara
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by CaraCC)
Hey there,

I was just wondering if anyone would be able to help me. I'm really interested in Gloucestershire Uni, however I was hoping for a honest opinion and review of the Uni as a whole. As the prospectus just tell you what they want you to hear. And most importantly what is the sport like there as this is my focus and course.

Thanks Cara
Heya, just giving this a little bump in the hopes someone will see and reply. Image

You should also check out the new connect pages to find other people who have applied for the same courses as you! Image
Unrepentant
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by CaraCC)
Hey there,

Thanks Cara
I didn't study Sport when I was at the Uni so can't really comment on that, although people I know that did do the sports courses seemed to really enjoy it. On rare visits to Oxstalls (where the sports courses are based) I got the impression that the sports people were very close knit.

There are a lot of sports teams to get involved with at the Uni that seem to be quite successful. One of my course mates was in the Rugby team and was always off out and about with them playing matches and socializing outside of classes. I think the Uni has their own night dedicated for sports called Blue and Blue which gets you deals in some of the clubs.

As for general Uni stuff.... the area of Cheltenham/Gloucester is really great and a nice to place to live and study. The area is definitely very safe and I really enjoyed my time there. The Uni itself (although there are 4 campuses) is quite small in comparison to other Universities. This has the advantage that the class sizes are small. Again, I can't speak for the numbers on sports courses, but my own class (PR) had less than 20 people. For me this was great because if you were stuck or had anything you wanted to ask lecturers, you were able to get that opportunity, rather than be one of a large number. And also you get to know people better. Some of my friends at larger Universities commented that you'd often see people once or twice but never again because there were just so many people at their Uni or on their course.

There are a number of different student nights and clubs as well as the SU that has various nights on. The Frog and the Fiddle is a great pub for students also. I can't really offer more insight into the nightlife as that wasn't really my "thing" so I didn't go out a lot to the clubs. I would say because the Uni is smaller than others, perhaps the Fresher's week and acts booked isn't maybe as great as some of the larger uni's who have a larger budget and more students.

Probably the only real downside for me was in my first year there was not enough accommodation for all first year students, and I did feel like I missed out on the halls experience in terms of meeting new people and getting to experience everything on campus with the other first years.

Overall though, everyone I met was very friendly, the lecturers were mostly very helpful and the area is great. If you had any other questions about the Uni I can try to answer them. I graduated in 2013.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (3)
9.09%
I need help researching courses (2)
6.06%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
9.09%
I need help with my personal statement (15)
45.45%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (7)
21.21%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
3.03%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (2)
6.06%

Watched Threads