zz1995
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I've just finished College and I'm going to The University of Exeter this september to do Accounting and Finance.

I didn't really research what uni's I wanted to go to, All I know is that I want a well payed job, I'm not sure what I actually want to do but Accounting and Finance was the only thing that really interested me. I haven't looked at what jobs are actually about but I'm thinking that Investment Banking seems interesting/good career.

When applying for university I basically just looked at the League Table and applied for the highest uni's I could. Exeter was the highest I could get into at number 10 because I only have a B at Maths and English GCSE and I didn't do Maths at A-Level.

I don't know whether I should go to Exeter which I think is a good uni and just get my degree or whether I should go back to college, try and re-sit my maths and english GCSE's for A's and take a math's AS Level which is required by the higher universities (Bath, Warwick, Durham) etc.

I know that some top firms only hire from certain universities and Exeter might not be on that list. But I don't want to go back to college to try and do an AS Level which I may not get an A in and then waste another year not in University?

Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by zz1995)
I've just finished College and I'm going to The University of Exeter this september to do Accounting and Finance.

I didn't really research what uni's I wanted to go to, All I know is that I want a well payed job, I'm not sure what I actually want to do but Accounting and Finance was the only thing that really interested me. I haven't looked at what jobs are actually about but I'm thinking that Investment Banking seems interesting/good career.

When applying for university I basically just looked at the League Table and applied for the highest uni's I could. Exeter was the highest I could get into at number 10 because I only have a B at Maths and English GCSE and I didn't do Maths at A-Level.

I don't know whether I should go to Exeter which I think is a good uni and just get my degree or whether I should go back to college, try and re-sit my maths and english GCSE's for A's and take a math's AS Level which is required by the higher universities (Bath, Warwick, Durham) etc.

I know that some top firms only hire from certain universities and Exeter might not be on that list. But I don't want to go back to college to try and do an AS Level which I may not get an A in and then waste another year not in University?

Heya, just giving this a little bump in the hopes someone will see and reply. Image

You should also check out the new connect pages to find other people who have applied for the same courses as you! Image

Exeter is a respected university! If you think it's a good uni and you think you like it there then go there.
KForshaw
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Exeter is a great Uni, and wouldn't set you back at all. The top firms will hire from all the russell group uni's, and you don't even have to do a related degree. My sister now works at Deloitte and did a History and Philosophy degree at Sheffield Uni, hardly a Warwick type uni.

Also, what you need to think about is the logistics of re-sitting. With the scrapping of january exams re-sitting is not as simple as it used to be.
Table dust
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do you want to go to Exeter? If the answer is no - then don't go there.

Have a look at the content in AS level maths (http://www.examsolutions.net) and decide whether you think you have the motivation to do it. If you have an entire year I don't see why couldn't get an A

Going to Warwick, Bath or Durham will have some benefits when it comes to exposure to the financial sector
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (68)
27.53%
No - I have already returned home (27)
10.93%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (51)
20.65%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (26)
10.53%
No - I live at home during term anyway (75)
30.36%

Watched Threads