Do you have a desire to be rich? Watch

Patrick Gekko
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I see so many people here wanting to go into medicine,law, etc. these jobs will make you well off, but not rich.

Why do some people, who are very intelligent, just want to do jobs which earn them a relatively average amount of money?

What would you like to do? How will you get there?
Why don't you have a desire to do a job like CEO, trading, etc. is it because you're just not interested or..?

Posted from TSR Mobile
lauramercier
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Money isn't the most important thing to everyone. Doing something you love (medicine/law) is often and understandably of primary importance to a lot of people.

Obviously not every single person who is intelligent can be rich, not really. If that were the case, we'd have no doctors and no lawyers (although I wouldn't mind earning what they earn). Personally, I'd like to be doing something I love but be comfortable enough to be able to afford to do the things I love.
amood00
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Its more of an issue of not feeling content with what they currently have...sometimes subconsciously. Not necessarily a bad thing as it can lend itself to motivation in order to achieve wealth and success.

But they must realize that if it is happiness they are seeking then looking for wealth is looking in the wrong place...

Spoiler:
Show
Name:  happy-farmer.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  65.5 KB
a happy but poor farmer
Patrick Gekko
Rep:
?
(Original post by lauramercier)
Money isn't the most important thing to everyone. Doing something you love (medicine/law) is often and understandably of primary importance to a lot of people.

Obviously not every single person who is intelligent can be rich, not really. If that were the case, we'd have no doctors and no lawyers (although I wouldn't mind earning what they earn). Personally, I'd like to be doing something I love but be comfortable enough to be able to afford to do the things I love.
I understand this, but I definitely feel like a lot of people only go into medicine and that type of career because of the money, and not because the love it.

Of course, some do love it, but a lot are pressured. If they're going into it for the pay then I would think it'd be better for them to save the several years at uni and work on a business or something similar which will earn them more

Posted from TSR Mobile
lauramercier
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Patrick Gekko)
I understand this, but I definitely feel like a lot of people only go into medicine and that type of career because of the money, and not because the love it.

Of course, some do love it, but a lot are pressured. If they're going into it for the pay then I would think it'd be better for them to save the several years at uni and work on a business or something similar which will earn them more

Posted from TSR Mobile
I believe some people do. I know someone who wants to go into it purely for the status it brings, I know for a fact their main reason isn't to help people. Obviously, on the other hand, you hear so many people in medicine do it because they genuinely want to help people, they're the people (IMO) who genuinely deserve to be a doctor. Yeah I can understand what you're saying, I think the status of being a doctor is important to people too though and the security of having a job like that. I also think some people get carried away with how much consultants etc actually earn, although they do earn a lot of money, I think shows like Holby City portray it to be such a glamorous job when really it's anything but.
tysonmaniac
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I want money, I just a) want other things (happiness, fulfilment, to be doing maths, etc.) more, and b) I do not define my value by wealth, and so would feel weird and empty if I dedicated my life to obtaining more of it.
Patrick Gekko
Rep:
?
(Original post by amood00)
Its more of an issue of not feeling content with what they currently have...sometimes subconsciously. Not necessarily a bad thing as it can lend itself to motivation in order to achieve wealth and success.

But they must realize that if it is happiness they are seeking then looking for wealth is looking in the wrong place...

Spoiler:
Show
Name:  happy-farmer.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  65.5 KB
a happy but poor farmer
That's a nice picture. For me, I either want to be very wealthy (shallow? not really imo) or doing something that I really, genuinely love. I admire pro athletes because even though most of them are not paid a lot (I'm not talking about premier league footballers, or mo farahs etc.) because they almost always love their job so much.

I guess I would just hate to go into an office everyday, 9-5, monday-friday. It just sounds so bad to me. Even if you are being paid a healthy sum of money, I don't like the idea. You do not have much freedom, whereas wealth (which comes from the desire to be rich, usually) also buys freedom.

Posted from TSR Mobile
yoursoulismine
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Patrick Gekko)
I see so many people here wanting to go into medicine,law, etc. these jobs will make you well off, but not rich.

Why do some people, who are very intelligent, just want to do jobs which earn them a relatively average amount of money?

What would you like to do? How will you get there?
Why don't you have a desire to do a job like CEO, trading, etc. is it because you're just not interested or..?

Posted from TSR Mobile
To be honest I just want to be able to have a relatively comfortable life and be happy in what I choose to do. I don't ask for too much in life. I'm not that materialistic. Then again if you're looking for the fast life with champagne, supermodels and super-cars in the industry i'm in you're in the wrong game.

What would I do with all that money if I was rich? Honestly. Would one man need millions and millions and millions?
coldhell
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To be rich, you have to do something that you are really passionate about. Money comes after. If you seek only wealth in life, you wouldn't find happiness. It's all superficial.
Marcum
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by coldhell)
To be rich, you have to do something that you are really passionate about. Money comes after. If you seek only wealth in life, you wouldn't find happiness. It's all superficial.
It's unlikely a person would become rich off the back of their burning passion to be a bin-man.
Another
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Marcum)
It's unlikely a person would become rich off the back of their burning passion to be a bin-man.
Maybe he loves his job so much, that we wants to learn how to manage other bin men, thus landing him a job at his local council.

A well directed passion is the key to life!

I pretty much have an aversion to any job in the financial sector, and there's no way I could do a job just for the money. I figure that a "slightly above average" wage will get me anything I want.
coldhell
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Marcum)
It's quite unlikely that someone would be really passionate in being a bin-man, but I do see your point. Yes, but what I'm trying to say is if you take a look at some of the wealthiest people on Earth, there is a common denominator: passion. Without passion, someone would not be able to think of new ideas, challenge the current ideas, and possibly change the way we live. This innovation--and hard work-- has led them to their success and wealth.

If you take the bin-man, for instance, if he/she is really passionate about his/her job, he/she can perhaps think of new ways to resolve the problems that we are currently having with our waste, etc. and this perhaps can lead them to set up businesses etc. which inevitably will result to wealth.
ManifoldManifest
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If by rich you mean the stratospheric "Owns private jets, has a net worth greater than some countries" level of wealth, most people aren't going to get that no matter what they do. There are far more people running struggling small businesses than there are Mark Zuckerberg's.

If you mean rich like a top tier banker, bringing in a few million a year, sure, that's do able. But only for a small number of people, and it's not a lifestyle that suits most people.

Medicine and law are careers that carry a lot of social prestige still, and which will generally allow someone a very comfortable life earning markedly above average income. If someone feels they have a vocation, it's an obvious choice.
biffyclyro27
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd love the kind of money that someone in a senior position like CEO/Director of a successful company would make. But at the same time, I'm not kidding myself about the amount of work it takes to make that kind of money.

Do you realise what kind of sacrifices those kind of positions require? The 12-15 hour days, not taking much holiday, barely seeing your family and friends... I'd rather just be well off and have a good work-life balance.
p.formanko
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd say I'm driven enough to be able to do the work to be CEO/do trading/etc - I believe strongly in the concept of the "American dream" and earning enough money to live comfortably for the rest of you're life.

However, id love to do it over a few years rather than spend decades working my ass off just to become old and not enjoy it as much. Obviously I know everyone wants to be rich but I'd say that I'm driven enough to do all the work over a few years - whether that means invent something, start up a successful business, whatever...
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yup, I want to be rich, no doubt. I want to go into trading, although for mostly different reasons.
subjunctivehistorian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by amood00)

Spoiler:
Show
I love this picture

Quality of life > Standard of living

in my opinion anyway
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.74%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.68%
I don't think they'd understand (52)
15.25%
It might lead to more bullying (131)
38.42%
There's nothing they could do (102)
29.91%

Watched Threads